How do you know that everything you see, including other people, isn't just an illusion?

Please, deal with this question seriously.

>SPOILER ALERT
You don't.

Holy....

It's not an illusion, it's an allusion.

Allusion to what?

In knowing that I *don't know* the world is all an illusion, I am thus making a knowledge in claim, in so far as I am claiming that *I do know that I don't know* this fact.

Therefore I can come to know things about the world.

Secondly, one must asks whether it makes sense to actually doubt such things. When a child is born, it is not brought into the world with the capacity to doubt or question the reality of the world. The world is already accepted and basic consistencies of the world which the child comes accustomed to begin to form the basis for its beliefs, even when a child is taught language, it is taught language not in a series of doubts but rather, a series of facts or claims e.g.

"This is a door" *points to door*

"CAT!" *points to cat*

A child does not question whether cats exist, it first must come to accept the existence of a cat, it is only after it has accepted the existence of the cat that the child can begin to doubt the existence of the cat.

Thus it comes to pass that the historic desire of philosophy to deny the existence of the external world has hitherto been a problem of misunderstanding our usage of language.

Because if it's just an illusion, then it's a really convincing one that I can't change. If it doesn't influence my decision making, obsessing about it would only be detrimental to my psyche. So what if we're all the same consciousness? Even if I'm just an ego manifestation of a dreaming god, a sliver of an infinitely delusional being, or whatever you want to call it, I'm just a pathetic loser that hasn't done anything with his life.

they are illusions, just as i am

they're floating this third dimensional space just like me

is just language memeing you, get a job

babby's 1st solipsism

>Therefore I can come to know things about the world.
About the world or about yourself?
A child doesn't accept the existence of a cat: it sees it. And as we know, just because we see it, it doesn't mean it exists.

>just because we see it, it doesn't mean it exists.

You can only produce this thought after having learned language.

If you doubt the existence of the cat, then you must explain what you mean when using words like "haha, the cat just petted me"

Or did you mean 'cat' there in a different sense?

Well if you admit that you meant it in a different sense then you admit that other words could be used in those different senses, so when an individual says something and you doubt it and say "well that could just be an illusion" he could reply that you misunderstood the sense in which he meant it

Do you understand?

>HE HASNT READ MEDITATIONS

Who gives a fuck? Whether or not the world around you is real or an illusion should have no bearing on how you respond to a situation, think, etc.
For all you know, what you are currently experiencing is a hullucination produced by your dying brain just before you die. Your entire world could be nothing more than some cheap form of consolation prize. But does this change a single thing? No. Every existance, even an illusory one, is tied to the same alaya consciousness, meaning that ultimately everything is united in returning to it.
Some sects of buddism believe that all of existance is divided into discrete moments seperated by nonexistance. These buddists believe that each moment exists, and is then destroyed before being replaced by another. Following this logic, one could argue that each moment of nonexistance could actually constitute another reality. Alternatively, one could argue that there are countably infinite "realities" lying between this moment and the next (also fuck off physics nerds, please bear with me), just as there are countably infinite real numbers between 0 and 1. From here, one could think of each of these "realities" as worlds living off the beat of the one you believe to be the real one. Because of this, I believe that existance is an inherently disjointed experience in which there is no definitive reality to tie everything together so neatly.

quads of truth

All that Buddhism stuff is questionable, but the opening sentiment I agree with. Whether or not reality is an illusion, you still have to deal with it in one way or another.

I don't actually believe a word of it, but it is a useful tool for making sense of a world we as humans can't begin to understand. Also, I have been reading the Spring Snow tetralogy lately and this line of thinking predominates it.

how can op be sure that he's not a fag?

Not to be a pedant, but the number of numbers between 0 and 1 is actually considered uncountably infinite.

I'm going to break this news to you now since the world is going to do it much less tactfully. The reason you will get shit on for asking these questions is not because you're the last open mind in a world of dead people. No. The reason you will get shit on for asking these questions is because you have absolutely no sense of how ancient they are, how much thought and effort has been put into them, or how many people from how many different schools of thought have convinced themselves to be able to answer them only to demonstrate to the world how willing to bullshit himself he really was. When you ask these questions with the tact and experience of a teenager, basically people who've versed themselves in the history of said question and it's "answers" just kind of want to throw books at you until you shut the fuck up forever.

lol thanks for setting me straight. I guess I was thinking of rational numbers. I never thought I would get called out for flubbing my math on a Veeky Forums board :)

I neither create them nor control them; they therefore exist outside of me.

Can you prove it?

Know this, if life itself is an illusion then I too am a illusion! I live, I love... I am content!

I asked them.

How are they asking it like a teenager?

Elusion.

>I neither create them
Proof plox

Illusion is reality if you believe in them you dumb motherfucker.

Define illusion. No, seriously. Because things like mirages and magic tricks don't exist without something causing them. Thinking illusions aren't "real" is just ignorance.

Who cares? It works. Ignoring the illusions doesn't quite work. Is my hunger real? Is the bread I eat real? At least the bread ends the hunger, while ignoring the illusion doesn't work as well for me.

How do you know it works?

How do you know bread ends hunger?

Have you ever ignored the illusions?

if i eat too much the illusion i call self gets fat
so, even if its not ending the hunger its turning me into a disgusting fat pig

Reality which you would be a part of, but for the sake of the question lets suppose a dualistic nature to reality. An illusion would imply that there is an objective reality, but the one that we perceive is not correct or is a fabrication. But this would then imply that the illusion would have to be based on the objective reality, thus whatever we perceive would at least hold hints of objectivity. In reality there is an objectivity to the ''external'' world, but our perception of it would depend on how our senses are effected and what constitutes the prerequisites of our consciousness, e.g: some animals see less colors in the spectrum and so on.

Kant treated the question of reality's existence, i can't be clear enough to explain it but you should dig this dude.

read meditations by descartes pls

Sometimes you see something, and believe you saw it the way it really is. But in reality it wasn't what you thought it was.
An example I just imagined: you see a little light in a dark place where there always happened to live fireflies. So you're sure that little light is just another fireflie, but in fact it was just a child playing with a laser pen.