Why don't STEM majors smoke?

Why don't STEM majors smoke?

Artfags and Eng/Litfags always have a cigarette in their mouths. I would think STEMfags would have higher smoking rates, since they have a more stressful major. The exception is pre-med/ nursing/ medschool, where there are a handful of smokers.

Biochem reporting in.
1/2 pack per day.

Because they're relatively not retarded

most of the grad students i know in math take frequent smoke breaks

smoking is a waste of time, I already spend too much time posting on Veeky Forums, if I smoked I would have 0 leisure time.

STEM majors are fucking pussies.

You think STEM majors paying out the ass and spending all their time studying ha e money and time to support a smoking habit?

kinesiology vs gender studies
fight!
>get rekt fgt

Smoking makes time to just stand outside and ponder the universe and shit. Ex-smoker, STEM grad and out of that for awhile now but always hankering for one, I miss those days in the STEM wageslave gigs hanging with other smoking co-workers...good times.

Literally everyone in the labs I've worked in smoked.

Honestly? Because they're stingy. Any engineer I've known had this habit of involuntarily cutting costs. Even if it didn't made any economical sense or was inconsistent. Like people who save every piece of electronic junk "just in case", even when the calculated worth of those desoldered components have less value than what you would've earned on a minimum income. It's just how they have to think - any working engineer has to be aware of costs before anything else and has to minimize them.
Not that I think smoking is good/smart or a thing I would allow in my presence.

You can always do that without a cigarette.
Smoking doesn't really help with anxiety and stress - addicts feel better after smoking because they're feeding their cravings. Nicotine is a stimulant so it might have nootropic benefits for students, but it won't help with stress.
I suppose the misapprehension that smoking helps with stress is all there needs to be to get people addicted.

Because smoking is a social thing, and STEMfags are often autistic to some extent.

some places of employment won't let you take a break like that unless you're outside smoking a cigarette though.

>Artfags and Eng/Litfags always have a cigarette in their mouths.
did a degree in each
never smoke a fucking cigarette

apologize

I use snus when I can
I've smoked but I don't really enjoy it unless I'm drinking (socially) so I usually tend avoid it

When I quit smoking, I just did the same with swirling a cup of coffee.

Nursing major reporting in.

You know how much of a fucking hassle it would be to go all the way down the street to get off university hospital property to smoke a cigarette then come all the way back?

All that to smell like an ashtray and get nasty looks from the nursing babes and doctors?

Not worth it my man.

>the liberals made it so hard for you to smoke that you quit
don't let them win
instead, smoke twice as much out of spite
smoke cigars so it's more pungent
after each smoke break, leave your remaining cigar outside the main entrance, resting on the wall between two bricks like you own the joint

You really shouldn't smoke around hospitals anyway.
O2 tanks everywhere.

pfft, you know grampa sits around all day with his oxygen smoking cigarettes and watching the news
it's fine

You smoke out of habit. You drink out of stress.

Art fags subconsciously know that they have already fucked up their life, being unemployable and useless for society, that drives them into self-destructive and suicidal behavior.

because they're not retarded and didn't get addicted to smoking because it was cool in high school

because smoking will give you lung cancer but artfags are mostly terminally depressed or otherwise mentally ill and don't care

Because we are already cancerdesu

Too busy fucking toasters.
Where were you when we went full adeptus mechanicus?

Smokers stink. Stay away from me.

Cigar smells bad and gives little to no high. Why the fuck should I smoke it?

Smoked 2 to 3 packs per day along with a lot of stimulants(even had a meth addiction period) during my math PhD. From what I've seen, there are two kinds of math PhDs. The ones that live a relatively healthy life and the ones abusing a lot of stims. There is no middle ground.

Who smokes in 2017?

You'll never live long enough to witness the singularity like that.

I never understood the point of smoking.

Your friends did it and now you have an excuse to dip out and hang with all the interesting people at parties.

I smoke DMT if that counts

only dumb, pretentious imbeciles smoke

>friends

This is why most STEMturds don't smoke: We never had friends at school.

Yeah, smoking is a side effect of drinking and recreational drug use among the socially well-adjusted. That and autists don't do drugs because it's against the rules. Mathematicians are the exception because they are relatively normal and speed and psychedelics make you better at math.

because smoking is for degenerate retard that prioritize short-term pleasure instead of long-term earnings. That's exactly humanities and social "sciences" fags for you.

nicotine is for scrubs. amphetamines are the STEM students drug of choice.

Besides everything else, more intelligent people tend to have have higher levels of self control. Most smoking is an "addictive" rather than a recreational behaviour.

People with high levels of self control can take any substance they want, and stop whenever they want, it's just the low self control minority who ruin it for everyone else.

>muh libtards
>I should do what I want no matter how much it affects other people
I'd guess you're retarded, but you're smoking so that's a given

lol dude yeah. im running out of
amps i gotta get more. im doing a math phd too. how's the job market? i feel just kinda bleak about everything.

Physics major here, I live in a country where most of the people smoke, yet in my uni less than 10% smoke, I personally smoke during the brakes, smoking kinda forces me to go outside during the brakes, I rarely smoke at home, mostly after I eat or shit.

this. 90% of the reason I kept smoking as long as I did was social.

>People with high levels of self control can take any substance they want, and stop whenever they want

I'd love to see you try heroin a few times and then stop.

Most STEM majors consume a large amount of caffeine anyway, so they might as well make it an addiction. More productive than smoking.

Those faggots do it for style points and ego, and STEM majors do not possess that value

>Why don't the highest IQ majors take up a habit which destroys you in innumerable ways and which is expensive?
Hmmm.

>and which is expensive
And childish.
Sucking at something is a remnant from our childhood.

can't smoke and type at the same time? it's ok, dude.... we all act nice towards special people when you're around.

>Sucking at something is a remnant from our childhood.
do women suck dick because they are childish or are they childish because they suck dick?

Very underrated post. My mom once said, 'never quit something you're good at'

Cigars are like shisha. You don't get it until 20 minutes. Nicotine is basic (lungs or mouth absorbant). Pretty good

>consuming caffeine

Fucking junkies, can't even start the day without their fix.

smoking doesn't reduce stress

it creates stress then gives you the illusion that you are relieving it

STEM people rate higher in a trait that i don't remember the name, a trait about liking order and being able to think about the consequences of present acts into the future.

Okay. Not a big opiate or stimulant fan so herorin and crack never did much for me. I did enjoy the short duration and clean, blissful euphoria of crack though. Heroin is nice but makes me nauseated.

Because STEM majors tend to be more intelligent

Facts. Only piff for me. most math majors I knew were stoners.

*tips fedora*

I'm of high faith. Checkmate