We're on the front page of imgur again

We're on the front page of imgur again.
Can we stop making these stupid "top book" lists? It just attracts /r/etards. At least don't mention that it's from Veeky Forums at the top.

Other urls found in this thread:

listchallenges.com/reddits-top-200-books
mirandakaufmann.com/blog/elizabeth-i-and-the-blackamoors-the-deportation-that-never-was
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_British#19th_century
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's a reasonable view of the commonly liked views here. It's not the images fault that idiots keep posting it on reddit.

It's the image's fault that it says "Veeky Forums" on it. Also it's from 2014.

what's important

>slavs
>white

What a shit top 20

This is what happens when people too dumb to think learn ideology.

t. leftist

Yeah that's what I thought.

They aren't wrong though

>so far stuck up their own ass
>why won't they accept my shitty YA genre fiction!

normies begone, if you're not a NEET with all the time in the world to read 1000 page book after 1000 page book, you shouldn't be here.

>reddit's top 100
This gon' be good. Bets on what their top five is going to be?

Here's my hunch: if this happens, its going to be unusually elitist and high brow for them because they have a secret inferiority complex fueled by these charts.

Why the fuck do they care so much about this?

I highly doubt (I'm certain) that no one votes on the Veeky Forums top 100 lists taking into account race. At least I didn't. The Russians and many of the greatest authors just happen to be white men. Who the FUCK cares.

>Lists should be gender equal and take into account my ideology.

Slaughterhouse 5, 1984, Game of Thrones, something from a female author regardless of its objective ranking, Crime and Punishment

Non-white people care, apparently.

All I know is 1984 would be first

listchallenges.com/reddits-top-200-books

>something from a female author regardless of its objective ranking

The Handmaid's Tale, I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, To Kill a Mockingbird, all right up there I imagine.

Oh yeah, forgot about that.

Also possibly Hitchhiker's Guide, and Ready Player One.

What's really important

>mainly males with particular personalities

what did xe mean by this?

also, called Atwood + Angelou kek

>Zadie Smith.

>listchallenges.com/reddits-top-200-books
>Calvin and Hobbes before the first Dosto.

Are you fucking kidding me.

>Guns, Germs and Steel is the 17th best book ever written
I have no idea how anyone could believe this

The fucking USA constitution among the top 50 books ever cracked me up.

too many white dudes.

We're continually on the frontage of r/books and r/fantasy, that's what you get for making charts and other easily accessible information.

>2 fucking votes
why this list is a thing

>Reddit.

Welcome to literature were nobody reads the same things and everybody doesn't want to admit they read genre fiction.

>the pigment density in their skin does not conform to my prejudices
There's quite a mix in there. It's nothing groundbreaking, there are of course great authors off the beaten track, but it's not a particularly narrow list.

>objective ranking

no such thing

They get really upset that the one book they were made to read in high school and hated made the list

You do realize those are all (Except GoT) on the Veeky Forums list too though mate

>memelord with major depression
>French-Algerian Proto-Chad
>Russian, devout Christian
>recluse with maybe 2 pictures of him available
>man from 1500s Spain
But nah man who cares about that kinda diversity where the black women tho

>I have no idea how anyone could believe this
Implying most books don't rely on the bandwagon effect to spread. Quality only does so much.
A book that is well-known will most likely get more known and more known: a positive feedback loop.

As for this topic. Let's face it, deep down, Veeky Forums and Redditurds read similar books and might even be one and the same kind of pseud.

Hahahaha oh wow, best to not discuss any of this

Sage

Agreed. These charts are utter cancer and need to die.

At least use the new one

>listchallenges.com/reddits-top-200-books
>the whole harry potter series
kek

>1. Infinite Jest
wew lads

A lot of people on here don't even give black authors a chance because lol niggers but in general you're right, the best authors in western literature are mostly white.

reminder if you vote for any left leaning party in the western hemisphere you tacitly support this

>A lot of people on here don't even give black authors a chance because lol niggers
that's because literally 99% of black authors decide to write about slavery or how they feel oppressed. it's boring trash that no intellectual mind has time for

but w/e, higher testosterone leads to lower creativity so i'm not surprised these people are so devoid on ideas

>implying you've read any black authors

I generally don't care for black authors because everything I have read by them is about how bad it is to be black, which isn't as interesting or original now as it was decades ago.

Not in the top five.

Half the shit on our list is about how bad it is to be human.

>The Handmaid's Tale

that's a good book tho

Veeky Forums has been full of edgy teenagers and overweight neckbeard SJWs since its inception though, it's no surprise this board is so liberal and retarded in its rankings

not really but whatever, it's clear you want to feel oppressed when in reality black authors just suck and aren't very creative. I genuinely feel sorry for someone carrying such a large chip on their shoulder like that

Can you really not see that you're just irked that black authors don't write about your life?

Or rather, you can't convince yourself that black authors are writing about your life.

>why are there so many white authors in white countries

it's fucking hilarious really, it's like these people don't realise that they live in white countries, and until about 30 years ago the white % in western europe was 97% or above. It's as if they mass migrate to europe and expect us to change our history of literature to accommodate them?

Not that I'd expect a moment's critical thought coming from liberals and ethnic minorities, mind you...

No one here is irked but you, we just find it boring that they all write about the exact same experience of slavery or racism over and over again and provide nothing new or creative. What's so hard to understand about that?

>and until about 30 years ago the white % in western europe was 97% or above.
That's categorically false bro. Britain, France and Spain have had a lot of immigration from all over the world going back hundreds of years. That's what happens when you're relevant for longer than 5 minutes.

Because every black person's experience with racism is different. There is much more diversity in works by black authors than you give credit for.

Not to mention that if you are writing about a black person in America today, and your story doesn't touch on racism at all, you are writing fantasy. But any inclusion of incidental racism would be enough for you to dismiss it as unoriginal.

Meaning a black author is only worth reading if they write about white people, as if that's somehow more creative.

Kek kys, most black authors in the western world have essentially regurgitated the same themes continuously for decades now.

The best black authors are the ones from outside the western world at this point

erm, this just isn't true friend, the only one of these countries that falls into that category is Spain and we all know what happened to the muslim invaders there

These countries have certainly had migrations from WHITE ethnic groups going back hundreds of years, but non-white? No. Not in any significant number

>find it boring that they all write about the exact same experience of slavery or racism over and over again and provide nothing new or creative.
Aside from that being as important as anything else, it's also not the case. Read moar.

>the only one of these countries that falls into that category is Spain and we all know what happened to the muslim invaders there
Elizabeth I literally tried to kick out all the black people back in the 16th C (unsuccessfully) and a bunch came to France from colonies in the 18th and 19th C. Race wasn't as big a deal back then though, it's very much a post Darwin thing. Spain also had an empire along with immigration, it's not just Moores and shit.

>race wasn't as big a deal then, it's definitely a post-Darwin thing

What the fuck are you talking about? Jesus Christ are you kidding me user

The predominant thing was man as a creation of God in the west, that underlies p much all historical politics between different peoples for most of the past 1000 years. It's not until the late 19th C we even have a vaguely modern conceot of culture or civilization.

>Meaning a black author is only worth reading if they write about white people,

So you admit here that slavery and racism are endemic characteristics for literally any black character. Thanks for proving my point

>Because every black person's experience with racism is different

List 5 examples of how their experiences of racism (note: not experiences of how the racism expresses itself) and its consequences are different. It shouldn't be too hard

It would be cool if we made one of these for Short stories / Plays / Novellas / Poetry

I know it's supposed to be "top 100 books" but all of these lists basically end up being "top 100 novels" every single time.

race wasn't an issue in Britain and France (well it was, for the Irish in the former) because non-whites didn't exist in Britain in any meaningful numbers up until the 60s, with France it's a similar situation until post-colonial immigration

truth. I haven't read a single black author that didn't talk about slavery or "the black experience."

Some of it was well written, but it's not very interesting to me. Happens to not matter to me either. Why read several black authors who say the same shit about anything when I could read several European authors with topics ranging from surrealism to existentialism.

To be fair, Alexandre Dumas is a good author who happens to be black and European while rarely touching upon the topic of slavery since he didn't have anything to do with it.

Reeeee. Why do normies keep fucking saying this and adding more stigma to classic books?

>I like reading classic literature.
>Heh, get a load of this pretentious pseud, is GoT and Harry Potter too good for you? Sorry i'm not on your level.

List 134 examples proving the opposite user

it's not that bad user.

They're just justifying their YA to themselves.

a black author can write about black characters. we're just tired of these characters experiencing the same shit.

Not every black >because non-whites didn't exist in Britain in any meaningful numbers up until the 60s
Again, that's false. I've provided examples tho, you're just repeating yourself.

The Irish thing is vastly more complicated as well, at first British monarchy was invited, then you had Cromwell which was religious war more than anything, then the independence movement really solodifies in the 19th C with the famine. You also see a transformation from religious discrimination to proper racism then. But even then there was a question over whether Ireland would become to Britain like Hungary to Austria.

we have a couple of those floating around. I'll post one or two of them for you.

there's more out there, these are just the ones i have saved.

Black kid is told he'll never amount to anything because he's black, anger turns it into self fulfilling prophecy

Black kid develops inferiority complex and is forever seeking approval of white 'superiors'

Black kid revels in minority status because it makes him feel like a special snowflake and gives him an excuse for anything he fails at

Upper middle class black kid is shielded from the worst of racism and as a result is painted as an Uncle Tom by some of his own race

Oppression gives black kid the perfect pretense to explore delusions of revolutionary grandeur.

but at the same time, they're not entirely wrong. Veeky Forums does have a lot of pretentious fags on it.

So you're reading African American authors or something? Even then there are a number that don't fit that. There's a massive amount of eximperialist lit tho.

>Again, that's false. I've provided examples tho, you're just repeating yourself.

No you haven't

>I have found evidence of over 360 African individuals living in these isles between 1500 and 1640
mirandakaufmann.com/blog/elizabeth-i-and-the-blackamoors-the-deportation-that-never-was

You perhaps need to stop watching BBC black history month user, black people have no meaningful history in the UK up until the carribean immigration in the 60s

>Black kid is told he'll never amount to anything because he's black, anger turns it into self fulfilling prophecy
Where does this fantasy play out in America, current year? It's more like they're told "OK Jerome, if you attend all your highschool classes you can get a free diversity scholarship to any college in Americ-- oh no you robbed a store at gunpoint..."

I know, the wiki is full about them, I just think that it would be interesting to see Veeky Forums's favourite books outside of narrative.

I still don't understand how imgur is a community of its own right. How do people search things by topic of interest there? And literally why would you load up imgur as one of your websites of choice?

>Again, that's false.

It's really not, user.

Is there a reason why something like Gravity's Rainbow isnt on this list? Not complainging or anything, just curious, cause GR prolly the most surreal book ive ever read

The Black Population in Britain before the 1950s was estimated to be

The non-white population was probably less than 0.5% too, it really was negligible. I don't know why liberals have such hard time accepting these facts?

Check the wiki dumi

Interestingly enough, that was also the last time Britain did anything right.

Not saying correlation equals causation.

Isn't it still only

It is about 3% now

People that work in libraries and book stores are some of the absolute worst people to discuss literature with because of this attitude; they'll have read hundreds of literally who authors but you can't discuss Shakespeare with them.

>Jerusalem Alan Moore
>39
What the actual fuck Veeky Forums, explain yourselves.

There's a few things wrong with what you're presenting, you didn't in fact look at the article being a chief one or what I said above.

3% probably 4.5-5% when you include mixed race, go to london and you'd think it is about 20% though

London is like less than 70% overall.

Source?

Can someone explain why The Great Gatsby is considered a great book? I just like the story, but why is it appreciated?

>In 1950 there were probably fewer than 20,000 non-white residents in Britain, almost all born overseas

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_British#19th_century

So even if you assume all of those were black, that's 0.04% of the total British population in 1950

It was memed for a bit because of >muh comics man and its extreme length, then we discovered it was actually kind of good as well. For a certain type of taste, anyway - massive Blakefag myself.

Dude it has great right there in its title. just like great expectations and god is not great by thinkpiece wordsmith richard dawkins

He sounds like one of those guys who sees a Moorish-looking person in a Renaissance painting of a scene at Venetian commercial bank, and then concludes "Holy shit, black people were all over every country in pre-modern Europe!" It's the Black Athena approach to history.