What should I read if I want to become more progressive and tolerant and accepting of others?

What should I read if I want to become more progressive and tolerant and accepting of others?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VsoVYStL6gQ
amazon.co.uk/dp/B01JKQ1QU2
youtube.com/watch?v=yG0oBPtyNb0
youtube.com/watch?v=XQmBXEZEYtg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

My diary desu

>implying a /r9k/ beta neckbeard has ever left his mom's basement and knows how to interact with other real people

You sound quite intolerant of my lifestyle. Maybe if you read my perspective you'd be more accepting

The Adventures of Huckleberyy Finn - Mark Twain
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck

Damn. You're right. Post your diary, desu?

No I'm too offended now

The New Testament

If it would make you more like that person, why would you want that?

It feels like "progressive" and "accepting" are rapidly becoming at odds with one another. The Left won the culture war, now they're becoming puritanical, with their social theories as their new religion.

youtube.com/watch?v=VsoVYStL6gQ

It used to be: visit the board dedicated to the topic you want to discuss
Now it's: visit a randomly selected board after getting banned from twitter

don't get triggered Veeky Forums

hold the line

HOLD

>seriously how is this not the only way? read and don't get trigged. take a deep breath

Mein Kampf. It gave me a new found respect for Nazis

This new leftist dude bro phenomenon is so weird. Bullies will always find something to follow.

>250 years of slavery
>90 years of jim crow
>60 years of separate but equal
>35 years of some other thing I just made up
>GIB ME DAT MONEE HONKY!

>did not hold the line

>What should I read if I want to become more progressive and tolerant and accepting of others?

Why do you need a book to tell you how to stop being an asshole? Is it that difficult just to mind your own business?

Not being an asshole =/= Progressive ideology

Ummmm, excuse me?

Mere tolerance doesn't address structural inequality. You have to be knowledgeable about privilege, unconscious biases, and microaggressions, and you have to deliberately seek out marginalized voices and choose to combat injustice in your own life and community. If you just want to "ignore race", or you think you're "colorblind", YOU'RE the racist, YOU'RE the problem, YOU'RE the white, milquetoast liberal who might as well be a European nationalist, considering you contribute to the cause equally as much.

Man Americans are fucking insane.

This can't be real

They didnt "win the culture war". The pendulum just swung to their side and now its swiging back. The sjws are dying out currently, I already see the evidence on my campus. But dont worry, a bunch of authoritarian evangelical right wingers will swoop into their place. I honestly expect the alt right to become the new mainstream radical movement

Ok

It obviously is. Why would he start filming before getting a grip on the situation?

kek

>hold the line
fuck you you million nigger march piece of faggot shit

nice dubs tho

this will all feed the radical left once again in the long run. pseuds are into scapegoating

it's hard as fuck not to do imho. i dislike stirner but political/cultural scapegoats are god-tier spooks

>inb4 dislike stirner, kys
>tfw

I intended it to be a rhetorical statement but I'm more perpexled as to how it got this bad, poor americans.

What does "asshole" mean?

>this will all feed the radical left once again in the long run
Yes thats how the pendelum works

not a prog by any stretch but your post was making spergrage look unsexy af

hold the line. i think it sounds like a good maxim for much of this shit. just don't get trigged by people trying to trig you. that's all my man

thx tho, those are indeed boss dubs

i agree. sry, i know it's obvious. my bad dawgeridoo

>the point of posting on Veeky Forums is to look sexy

the bibel

>implying i actually think spergrage is supposed to be sexy to begin with
>tfw actually have to explain this

>just don't get trigged by people trying to trig you.
don't tell me what to do you fucking degenerate dick sucking commie

>I want to become more progressive and tolerant and accepting of others?
You can only pick one, either become a progressive or become more tolerant and accepting, they're mutually exclusive.

>trig veda
>trigger mortis
>advanced trigonometry
>etc

k my man i'm out. but srsly tho i wish you the best. sorry th coates rustled your jimmies so hard but this was my point. the progs feed on exactly this shit. don't supply them with ammo. it's obnoxious as fuck but that's how they want it. don't play their game.

god bless you rage-user

Huffington Post.

Hmm, just as I suspected, this thread has been deliciously devilish! Well done, OP!

>but srsly tho i wish you the best
fuck you goddam condescending transgender nigger hippie faggot jew fuck I hope you and everyone you love dies a painful death

Lmao what a little bitch.
Those fucking imbeciles are annoying but jesus he sounded like a 14 year old standing up to a bully. Why not go into a political discussion for fucks sake? At least stand up for what you believe in. Wearing a shirt like that is provocative, and that's okay. But refusing to even talk about it is just plain passive agressive. He was probably scared shitless.

amazon.co.uk/dp/B01JKQ1QU2

u r making this way too easy

just listen to mungo jerry my man, surely this will calm you down

youtube.com/watch?v=yG0oBPtyNb0

Children.

>the compounding moral debts of our ancestors
too late, I'm triggered

GET OUT OF HERE WITH THAT SHITTY FUCKING NIGGER HIPPIE MUSIC YOU BALL SACK LICKING JEWISH NIGGER LIBERAL FAGGOT PIECE OF FUCK

that's how it works

it's the Matrix homes. except they live in it and not you. they want you to join it. the point is not to take either pill. but neither works

anyways i really am outta here. this has been legit fun tho

youtube.com/watch?v=XQmBXEZEYtg

>mfw

man that was a good one. take care sir

>i really am outta here
you keep saying this

love and love and love and love

>Why not go into a political discussion

>implying you can have discussions with liberal scum like that

you are a part of the problem and the worst part is how you casualize that fact.

whatever bud
engaging that bitch would be like preaching to a brick wall
a brick wall with a political agenda and sub par english skills

Did she upload her the version from her phone? I kind of want to watch it too.

Fucking hell America

preaching your beliefs lowers the level of discourse considerable, i find actually, ACTUALLY, be respectful to people often helps them listen

seek to understand, before you seek to change, why do you feel like here political agenda isn't worth discussing, when you find your own is?

????
All i'm saying is that those two were clearly just on a moral righteousness head trip.
Discussion was not on the table.

>"You only have a fucking iphone 6!"
>"He's never been to college!"

What a beta faggot. He shouldve told them to fuck off or square up.

>>"You only have a fucking iphone 6!"
That guy is seriously about as mature as an early high schooler.

Was that her boyfriend or what?

...no.

There was absolutely 100% no chance of a legitimate conversation taking place in that scenario. He recognized that, knew he'd be better off keeping his composure and filming it for everyone to see.

>free wifi lololol what a loser!

Those glasses make her look 30 years younger when they're on.

>claims to be mexican
>is obviously a chink
wut

mexicans basically are chinks you faggot

Actual serious reply-

Quicksand by Nella Larsen
Orientalism by Edward Said
Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin
The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir
Light In August by William Faulkner
Ain't I A Woman by Bell Hooks

Do you basically become a "SWEDEN YES!" queer if you read this trash?

suck a dick you gay kike

>Do you basically become a "SWEDEN YES!" queer if you read this trash?
I had to google your childish "alt-right" meme to figure out what the hell you were even talking about. The short answer is no, you do not. I am not some elitist, self righteous SJW asshole. Just open minded to give other viewpoints a fair shake. If you think Faulkner, Woolf & Ellison are trash, I legitimately feel sorry for you.

if u read anything wrote by a nigger you become a nigger yourself

Read works that conflict with your worldviews. Challenge yourself and your opinions; consider the perspective of others.

Something tells me you're a young ((liberal)), read someone like Nietzsche, Celine, Baldwin and Emerson

Thanks for the warning, it is unfortunate that you've had to experience that yourself.

>I am not some elitist
>If you think Faulkner, Woolf & Ellison are trash, I legitimately feel sorry for you

Right. Three widely appreciated authors taught at a high school / undergraduate level. Good argument though.

>Just open minded to give other viewpoints a fair shake
Then why do they all have such similar viewpoints? Liberal progressivism is likely the ideology OP has been most exposed to yet you only recommend more.

>The compounding moral debts of our ancestors

Ghost stories belong on /x/

They don't have similar viewpoints, though.

>Liberal progressivism
You obviously have not read all the books on that list.

>widely appreciated authors
by elitists maybe

Thanks for confirming you are either shitposting or sincerely ignorant and anti-intellectual. For your sake, I hope it's the former.

No, I haven't which is why I asked my initial question. Do any of them offer a truly different viewpoint?

Yes. Especially Beauvoir, Hooks & Said. They are extremely insightful on gender, race & culture, respectively. All are also pretty accessible (by theory standards) which is the reason I recommended them. The other books I recommended are solid literature with diverse perspectives.

Meant to quote.

To give an example. Quicksand is from the perspective of a mixed race woman living in America (for most of the novel). She does not feel kinship with white or black people, and feels alienated by capitalist, patriarchal society. Extremely depressing read without being preachy or "white man de devil" at all. Very unique perspective on race, gender & class.

When two ornery lunatics approach you in a bar and are clearly looking for a fight, especially when one of them is a chick and the other is one of those guys who is clearly a "problem," it's not time for a confrontation. Especially if you've had a few.

The bitch is genuinely nuts and her cuck paladin is looking to impress her. This is the kind of thing that ends with you on the pavement, with her giving you brain damage and laughing about it after he knocks you down.

I've been in situations like this. A dozen things about the guy's behaviour show he's ready to do something fucking stupid, over shit he read on Twitter. And she's clearly the kind of cunt who is used to being able to harass and bully men, because they are holding back from hitting a girl. Bad fucking combo.

Jesus, and there's a second guy listening in too. He pops in around 6:50.

No they aren't, they all come from the same viewpoint. It's all the same marxist diarrhea that has polluted literature since the second world war.

This guy is right.

Fair enough. I'll take my "marxist diarrhea" and you take your ideology.

wtf i love che now

I don't have an ideology, I'm just tired of people presenting the same old crap as if it actually was something different about it. The foundations of all your presented authors are all the same so they cannot possibly say anything of significant difference, their differences of identity doesn't matter because of the ideological lens which through they view the world which is the same for all of them.

I've already read that stuff and I am genuinely interested in new perspectives, the problem here is that I already know the marxist perspective. How about something new for a change? Not superficially new but fundamentally different.

>It's because you're here for the free Wi-Fi aren't you!
What did she mean by this?

Was she getting sexual with him at the end?

your facebook feed
twitter
the mainstream media

it saddens me that there are actually people who only get their news through those outlets

Kek

>I don't have an ideology
>I already know the marxist perspective

lol. There is no escape from ideology. Maybe you don't know "the marxist perspective" as well as you think. Also, fields like feminist and post-colonial theory are certainly influenced by Marx and his method, but doing and saying something very different. You are conflating them.

>Not superficially new but fundamentally different.
Marxist theory is the antithesis of "common wisdom" and is fundamentally different from a mainstream worldview to the point of being practically taboo outside of intellectual circles. It is also flexible enough to allow for broad, unique application.

>Maybe you don't know "the marxist perspective" as well as you think
I know it too well but I don't subscribe to it.
>Also, fields like feminist and post-colonial theory are certainly influenced by Marx and his method, but doing and saying something very different. You are conflating them.
Same shit different flavour. I want different shit, or maybe something not that's shit at all.

Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin
Ice by Anna Kavan

Do not read any of those. Especially avoid Said. He is neoliberal scum. Read Marx.

Avoid all of these.