Can anyone explain the Dune universe to me?

Can anyone explain the Dune universe to me?

Everyone needs space cocaine

Ragheads stole it

Go slow if you wanna stab people

People left earth and continued to develop technology instead of biology. Robots went ape shit and a lot of people died. Eventually the war was won and people decided to do two things. a) make sure advancements were only biological, if you want a caluculator just genetically induce a kid into being Rainman. b) Nukes are awfully destructive. Lets avoid all that

They find melange but it's pretty low key for the most part. The elites use it and pretend they don't care so that the plebs don't freak out and use their dependencies against them. A shit tier noble gets banished to the melange planet because everyone pretends the spice is shit (and the planet is pretty awful to live on anyway) but that turn out to give that family a lot of power

One of the uegenics workers goes rogue and accidentally buts femmine instinct with masculine autism and creates the first kid with the ability to predict the future. This causes a chain of events that eventually end up with humanity growing

What do you want to know? All interstellar commerce is fueled by spice which the guild navigators need in huge amounts in order to become prescient, they use this prescience to guide massive highliners through foldspace safely. They could have done this with computers but the Butlerian Jihad and the Orange Catholicism that emerged from it forbid producing thinking machines. Even weak AI is illegal, even a calculator is illegal. That's why they have Mentats, who are humans that have trained their brains to be like computers.

Bene Gesserit are basically the cunt illuminati, the all-male guild navigators can see the future and the all-female Bene Gesserit can see the past. They want to produce a Kwizatz Haderach, basically the Ubermensch who can see both and guide the galaxy forward. The Bene Gesserit want to imprint their idea of the perfect future into him and use him as a path for creating the perfect world.

But Lady Jessica, secretly a daughter of Baron Harkonnen, decides to fuck literally everything up by giving Duke Leto a son before a daughter. This daughter was supposed to be bred with Feyd-Rautha to produce the Kwizatz Haderach but it turns out that the Bene Gesserit weren't so fucking smart after all and it came a generation early. The guild senses that Paul is a threat and tells the Padishah Emperor to fucking end House Atredies. Control of the spice monopoly on Arrakis is cycled between the noble houses and Harkonnen was scheduled to hand it over to Atredies, so the emperor buddies up with them and kills Duke Leto but Paul and Jessica escape into the desert. Paul becomes king of the sand people, murders his grandpa and the guy who was supposed to fuck the female version of him, cucks the Emperor, takes his daughter as a wife (political wife but his lover and babymomma is a Fremen woman) and reluctantly leads a galaxy wide sandnigger chimpout that kills billions of people.

cont.

underrated

End of the day though Paul was too much of a bitch nigger to take the final step needed to ensure the survival of humanity and loses his prescience so he ends up wandering off into the desert. His son Leto II actually has the balls to do what must be done and leaves humanity behind to merge with the sandworms and become the worst tyrant in human history for 4,000 years. His tyranny has a purpose, namely the old imperial house had a recessive gene that granted immunity to prescience, and Leto wanted to breed it into the Atredies line, using his sister and a nephew of the Padishah Emperor as his original breeding stock.

It took a long time (so long that the Fremen terraformed the entire planet into a jungle paradise except for a small section of desert where Leto lived) but eventually he gets Siona, who has the no-gene and is fertile. He basically tells her that she's part of his breeding project and he's going to have his bull, Duncan Idaho #2234 fuck her brains out. She gets all pissy and of course starts plotting to kill him because he's an asshole. Literally every member of his breeding program and every Duncan Idaho clone he has made has tried to kill him because he's just that much of an asshole but he can see the future so he just predicts their plan and casually kills them back like he's in an anime or something.

Meanwhile the galaxy is suffering horribly under his rule (he literally produces ALL of the spice in the galaxy so he controls fucking everything, 99% of humanity is living in medieval tier conditions) so the Ixians create Malky, a clone specialized in getting Kwizatz Haderachs (they tried to breed some and got the idea that whenever you get them to betray their visions they kill themselves) to logic-kill themselves. The clone tells Leto about how much he's hurting the galaxy and Leto drops the Gold Pill on him in response because nobody knows exactly how fucked up and horrible his rule is like Leto himself. So when that fails the Ixians instead make him the perfect waifu called Hwi who warms his cold wormy heart. Duncan also falls in love with her and gets all pissed at Leto for taking his waifu, so he conspires with Siona to kill him.

They succeed because Leto softened up and succeeded in breeding/training Siona. As he's dying he gives his empire to Siona and tells her all of his secrets. She falls in love with Duncan and they fuck like rabbits, having tons of babies and spreading the No-Gene throughout humanity. All according to the golden path.

Leto II is probably the best treatment of the Ubermensch I've seen in genre fiction. Prose and style is lackluster throughout the series but the themes are deep and interesting.

>Prose and style is lackluster
Fag

>Leto II is probably the best treatment of the Ubermensch I've seen in genre fiction. Prose and style is lackluster throughout the series but the themes are deep and interesting.

Couldn't agree more user, I just finished God Emperor and I can confirm this to be true.

Also
Are Heretics and Chapterhouse better or as good as God Emperor? I binge read everything up to GEoD and I am really reluctant to go and read the rest of the series.

They aren't. They're interesting but in terms of depth God Emperor is the best book in the series. Also Chapter house ends in, for me personally, an unsatisfying way.
They are worth it in terms of finishing the series. To bitch out after GE is pointless.

GE is the natural conclusion of the series, the last two books, since they lack a real conclusion, are decent reads but go nowhere. They're a good way of seeing what the golden path resulted in though.

That actually sounds good considering the ending of GE, might actually give 'em a shot.

Also
Anybody hear read the books by Brian Herbert? Are they all travesties as they say?

Herbert very obviously had his hand on his cock while writing the last two books. I wonder if he wife ever read that shit lmao.

here* shit

I refused to give Brian a chance. I don't like it when books change hands. Muh canon and all that.

The 'prelude to dune' books aren't terrible but they aren't really good either. the sequel books are literally the worst shit I have ever read.

Let me tell you how Brian Herbert ends the series: They clone all of the main characters from the original books including worm-leto who is airdropped as a kaiju monster on the machine homeworld (which for some reason has a breathable atmosphere) and Paul battles the evil Paul clone PAOLO who overdoses on super spice.

Duncan Idaho then chooses the green ending from mass effect 3. The end. It was actually the first time I ever returned a book and asked for my money back.

Oh and the Butlerian Jihad books are also about as horrible as the sequel books.

Again, the prelude to Dune books aren't that bad. They're like...Phantom Menace bad. Some annoying characters and superfluous plot lines but some of the details and stories are interesting. There's not much of a 'grand' threat, they're very casual YA reading.

The Butlerian Jihad and sequel books, those are Attack of the Clones bad.

First book is amazing
second just felt like more of the same
third just seemed to be setting up God emperor
God emperor is in fact amazing
five and six were OK

But clearly the intended seventh book would have been on the level of books 1 and 4. What he was setting up with Daniel and Marty was going to bring the whole saga full circle.

inb4 the story is revealed in the brian herbert books. Fuck that I refuse to read them. I don't care if they were based on Frank's notes.

what was going to happen in book 7 was the real logical conclusion

This sounds amazing for all the wrong reasons.

You mean

Erasmus and Omnius ?

:^)

I'm not going to click on your spoiler but what's clear from chapterhouse is that they are
some remnant of the thinking machines that survived the butlerian jihad and have been living in the farthest reaches of space for millenia, and this is the enemy that the honored matres were fleeing, and that is what the 7th and probably final book would have been about

It is basically what books 7 and 8 are about. But they were written by KJA and Brian Herbert so they were horrible.

Not even half the amount of weird fetish material that Herbert produced and no new fetish material.

"He who controls the pumpkin spice, controls autumn!"

The biggest misconception is that the Spice per se is actually necessary for space travel or something.
It isn't. The Imperium only discovered it a few hundred years ago at most.
Most of the Guild is dependant on it by now, but they had been navigating space for millennia without it.

it sucks

The spice is necessary for reliably navigating WITHOUT thinking machines. The Ixians develop some heretic tier machines that can do it by book 5 but Arrakis had been known of for quite some time even if you ignore the Brian canon books.

I mean the foundation of the Bene Gesserit order was linked to the water of life. The Holtzmann engines are what actually does the folding of space but there's a pretty high probability you fucking die horribly without the proper navigation. Again ignoring B-canon the guild had navigated before spice (in B-canon, spice precedes the guild's existence) but it was not FTL travel which severely limited the scope of interstellar trade.

>not making a girl cum by your sheer manliness

Why bother living if you cant be Duncan Idaho

What exactly do you need explained?