Can you find a female foil for Pynchon?

Can you find a female foil for Pynchon?

>Waves as a foil to Ulysses
>Zadie "literally who" Smith

Man, just stop posting and go back to tumblr

>dfw fanboys still misconstrue DFW's place on Veeky Forums

Toni Morrison desu

Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter

You can't force an inverse where there is none.
If there were a female trilogy it would be something like Middlemarch, The Waves, and Miss Macintosh, My Darling

>Middlemarch
Bad suggestion

Maybe.

Gertrude Stein is better than Virginia Woolf

Marguerite Yourcenar, Flannery O'Connor, Carson McCullers

Neither of them are comparable to Pynchon. Their Is no female 'foil' to him

OP is just asking for someone who is famous for having opinions on him

This board should stop being so obsessed with gender of authors. But I guess ti mirrors what's unfortunatley going on in the literary world right now

My mum's better than your mum.

Does she have to be from the 70s? That would change everything.

I'll kill you.

Is White Teeth any good? My professor read some parts during his lectures and it seemed pretty shit to me.

White Teeth is okay, the last 50 pages or so ruined it for me.

Pynchon with a wig and fake tits.

What did he meme by this?

Zadie Smith is huge in contemporary literature. You may not like her, but calling her a "literally who" is just ridiculous.

why do you consider it huge?

Mrs Dalloway should be the foil for Ulysses

proposal for pynchon:
>James Tiptree Jnr

Margaret atwood for pynchon and substitute dana spiotta for zadie

Perfect foil to Pynchon is Dolores aka William Vollmann's female persona.

She's a shit novelist floated on the quality of her essays. But is her only purpose in life to get as much audience dick as possible?

>She's a shit novelist floated on the quality of her essays. But is her only purpose in life to get as much audience dick as possible?
Probably. So agreed, a good match for DFW.

Who would have been Zadie's Franzen had she killed herself? I think Franzen desu

Helen Steeply?

Finally! To be honest I was rather expecting someone to shoop one such, but Veeky Forums always has been a lazy broad.

>Miss Macintosh, My Darling
t
h
i
s

DFW would have been jealous he didn't get to do it first. He would have been her Franzen.

Le Guin? She isn't wacky enough, but none of them is.

Not even remotely

Gertrude Stein

Helen DeWitt

I think Mrs. Dalloway would be a better equivalent to Ulysses (if there has to be one), even if The Waves is better, because it follows over a day the oddyssey of Clarissa Dalloway in the course of a day

I don't know of any woman that writes with Pynchon's ridiculously twisted narrative lines and goofy humor

Also, the only way Zadie Smith is somehow comparable to DFW is that they're both college writers whose thought is very wrought by academia and they love to show it off.

>the only way Zadie Smith is somehow comparable to DFW
They were in the same circle of writers, that's part of why there are a bunch of gifs of DFW and Zadie at literature festivals and things.

HP Blavatsky

>lazy broad
user I...

>goofy humor
If we're going by the british candy criterion, it could be that the only contender left is Joanne Rowling, oboy

Haven't read it but The Bell Jar is utterly memed as fuck and is hippy-dippy enough for Pynchon.

nope, the story is more like a normal person becoming mental after going through a Bret Easton Ellis book.

No. She's huge in lit lite. Books wi5h literary aspects written for soccer moms and teenage girls. She's hardly won any major awards and her book will likely have no lasting influence. SHe's not creative and hasn't pioneered any new prose techniques.

>muh plot
I was thinking more of the authors' ages and era being in common and their cult-like followings, hence my use of the word memed.

So she IS a perfect match for Infinite Jest

he was mocking Zadies african heritage, and the alpha bastard had the gaul to smirk when she turned around
truly /ourguy/

Miss McIntosh, My Darling
Pilgrimage
The Making of Americans

Ulysses overflows; preferring Mrs Dalloway of all the Woolf to compare it to makes sense but it's already choosing a particular aspect of Ulysses

Women aren't creative enough to write like Pynchon.

Pynchon isn't creative enough to write like Pynchon! He had weed!

yeah
and there's no male foil either, just imitators- same with rest of the list except dfw is the biggest imitator of all
yes but you can tell zadie was young when she wrote it, I think NW is her best

she's every 20th+ century western writer's mother and father and Veeky Forums doesn't appreciate her enough but no one does
you mean that badly on purpose? the word you're looking for is delusional, not creative semi jk, he's fine but overrated

Yeah I'd posit Carter as a viable option.

Atwood also interesting suggestion.

>she's every 20th+ century western writer's mother and father
>hasn't been read since the 50s
Nice try gramps.

why keep bumping this faggoty thread?

George Eliot, easily.

how about shelley jackson. I have not read her books but her name is jackson that's got to count for something

whats the the .gif taken from?

Some video of one of these