/agdg/ here

/agdg/ here.

What math topics will allow me to design games as beautifull as chess and go?

What is game theory about?

Other urls found in this thread:

Veeky
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If I recall correctly the Barnett Equation is pretty much the foundation of chess and go
Pretty advanced stuff though

About whether or not you should shoot other people in the head

Game theory is about why rational self interest is unoptimal.

Game theory couls help. It's all about creating mathematical models of different situations, and finding the best option for the players involved given the payoff of a given choice with respect to the other players strategy

But the game is out there, and it's either play or get played.-Omar Little

bump.

Game theory was my favorite Economics class I took. Learning it will help you design games, of course, but really making games is more about learning the math after the fact. You figure out what you want to implement, and then think "how do I actually program this?"

Is this for real

Agreed, there are some pretty big things in it

How many troll things are in this equation? I can only spot three with my limited Veeky Forums meme knowledge.

I was almost believing until read "Jacob Barnett"

game theory is about modeling games where everyone is a rational agent.
It's cool for its own sake IMO, but doesn't have much to do with vidya

>Perelman
>Barnett
>Triple Integrals
>[math]e^{i\pi} = -1[/math]
>0.999... = 1
>[math]\sum_{n=1}^\infty n = -\frac{1}{12}[/math]

I was referring to the equation itself, and yes, I noticed a fourth thing right after making that post. I don't know about sets so I can't tell whether or not there is a meme in the left half of the colon.

The definition reads "B equals the set of continuous functions on R such that the triple integral of f is less than e^(i pi)/11.999...", there isn't a meme there (other than that the definition doesn't make sense because in order to do a triple integral you need a function of 3 variables).

Think of it this way op, if you study a shitload of game theory, and I mean if you become a near master at it, you could build a really good AI for a strategy game, especially if it's a game plays out on a lattice like chess or go

do CS grads study game theory?

usually not in undergrad

Go was invented in 4th century BC at the latest

Chess was invented in 1475

What mathematics you need, if any, won't be advanced (Row Reducing was the cutting edge mathematics of the future when Go was being developed; Induction, a first year topic, hadn't even been discovered yet when Chess took its modern form). This is more of trial and error process than a problem of mathematics. Mathematics studies the games after they are created. Creating them is a far less formal and rigorous project.

Chess is way older than that

Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering#Combinatorial_Game_Theory

Math doesn't really come into it. The video games most similar to chess and go that I can think of are starcraft and street fighter; extremely tight and clean, no RNG. Both asymmetrical which is probably necessary in the vidya market to keep players interested. Fog of war in SC (incomplete information) and speed of play/mechanical skill in both (introduces more player error) add another layer.

However the chess-likeness of both was emergent; it's pretty hard to make that kind of game (see how bad SC2 is compared to BW) and also hard to market (see skullgirls, which pretty handily captures the tightness of MvC but has a tiny playerbase).

If you really want to create a game like chess or go, I think the primary factors are tightness, elegance, and a lack of RNG. And depth of strategy of course. Good luck marketing it though.

Chess is a two player, zero sum, perfect information game.

In its modern form, 1475.