Is this the definition of a meme author?

Is this the definition of a meme author?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wKq5wmCz0wM
youtube.com/watch?v=QkaJzNwQUTM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Pretty much

I'm a fan, but yes. You can spot them by their tacky fashion accessories.

so you're judging HST on his sunglasses rather than what he wrote? jesus h fuck, is over there, fashionetta.

as for you, fuckchop - One of the things you have to deal with in this business is being whipped on by brainless freaks and special-interest pleaders. It never ends. On some nights they gnaw on your doorknob, and on others they plot rotten lawsuits and fondle themselves like chimpanzees in rooms lit by 25-watt bulbs.
- Hunter S Thompson, "Revenge of the Fish Heads"

.. you could live to be five hundred years old and never even DREAM lines like that.

Man, Thompson was a GOAT stylist, I love sentences like this.

>so you're judging HST on his sunglasses rather than what he wrote?
No. Like I said, I'm a fan. It's precisely because of the rawness he exudes in lines like you quoted, mixed with his hit-and-miss-but-mostly-hit insights.
His style is distinct and enjoyable, but it becomes repetitive. His attitude is histrionic and as he got older he became a parody of himself. For this reason I think he is a meme author. His fanbase certainly colors my judgment, but I'd like to think it doesn't entirely bias it.

The stab at his tacky cigarette filter-aviator image was mostly a joke, but signature fashion accessories are undeniably memecore, you must admit.

this reads like really bad ready player one fanfiction

Yep, Thompson was reddit before reddit was invented

And to HST's credit, he practiced his particular brand of Redditcraft when it was cool. i.e. before Reddit existed.

embarrassing.

not embarrassing

>memecore
if HST were alive he would have dragged you out to Woody Creek and gotten you completely fucked on whiskey, cocaine and mescal. You would have shot up grapefruits with automatic weapons and driven around whooping your punk ass off on a motorcyle before he dropped you off on the bus back to down with a lifetime's worth of cool stories

all of you hipster fuckasses shitting on HST should Virginia Woolf it into the lake tomorrow morning. all of you. his writing was not intended for cunts like you. get fucked

>dude im deep and intellectual cause i get drunk and high

I'm blaming Thompson for this post.

The fact you're imitating his rugged manly kick-ass take names style is not doing you any favors if you're trying to argue he's not a total fucking meme author. The fact you can list off this arbitrary list of edgy things HST would do with me if he didn't realize he was the fucking meme king of snot nosed stoner kids like you and blow his brains out precisely makes my point. You killed him. You should feel ashamed.

>dude doing random things and guns and alcohol and other drugs amirite

Stories are spooks

>if he didn't realize he was the fucking meme king of snot nosed stoner kids like you

Doesn't it make you kinda sad? he died surrounded by multimillionaires in some of the most expensive properties in 'Merica, the guy literally couldn't escape from his hypocrisies even in death.

Hello Veeky Forums. I'm new to HST. What else should I read besides Fear and Loathing?

His burnout makes me sadder that his hypocrisy desu. His soul was crushed long before he actually died. Check out this chimpanzee performance of an interview he did with Conan O'brien if you want to cry:

youtube.com/watch?v=wKq5wmCz0wM

Ultimately he died when he became a commodity with Fear and Loathing the movie. I'm sure in Hunter's eyes he was being true to himself with his high powered rifles and excessive amounts of whiskey... But he knew it was just an act; he was selling out to his own brand. The very definition of a stale meme. It's to his credit he blew his brains out desu.

he killed himself because he was a complicated, fragile, and difficult man who lived to see everything he found interesting about america go up in flames. something like a soul is required to do this. don't trouble yourself trying to understand this

pretty much. how's buzzfeed

stirner sucks

it makes me sad that he killed himself. i am under no illusions why. some of us just prefer to admire and appreciate the rare and unusual ones who come along

all this shit entirely confirms my own intuitions. trying to sell Veeky Forums on HST is like trying to convince normies to unplug from the matrix.

and there IS no matrix you daft cunts. life is strange and weird. his brand of embracing it was 100000% more interesting than hipster cynicism. shit on him all you like. this magnificent sonofabitch is in the modern library and got more out of life than any of you will ever know

don't watch this. really

youtube.com/watch?v=QkaJzNwQUTM

Nothing, move on to better literature.

Is this a shitpost? If so, it's fairly subtle, of much greater quality than most. 9/10

F&L on the Campaign Trail '72 is pretty good. It still does the booze and drugs thing, but with more restraint since it's a series of articles about a presidential campaign. Good insights into journalism and politicians, plus some meandering off into weird stories that probably didn't happen.

So its the same as century of swine?
I just randomly picked that up in a used book store, because >lol, hunter s thompson, and it was quite an interesting read, especially when just comparing it to what was happening now, and how donald is essentially seen as the second coming of ronald by some.
And is right. Even though I didn't get many of the stuff in the book (because I dont remember too much of the 80s), the writing style alone made it worthwile.

I'm currently reading Hell's Angels. HST is the shit. A ton of people copied his style, which makes him look memecore in hindsight, because there's a lot of shitty versions of his writing out there. But HST is easily one of the best American writers ever.

DFW memecore? Come on now. Read his review of Garners Dictionary of Modern American Usage. But to your point, even DFW admitted Infinite Jest kinda sucked and was way too long.

>A ton of people copied his style
Who?

Tom Wolfe is the worst example that comes to mind.

Everything on Vice can be traced back to HST's influence.

I haven't read that one, but looking at wiki, sounds about right, but less erratic. It starts off right around the start of the Democratic primaries, and has a very strong arc to it because he gets pretty emotionally invested in the McGovern campaign. He also talks about other things, like his own run for sheriff, which is possibly the best argument against a two-party system I've ever read because of the circumstances surrounding it.

Don't give vice that much credit

Fear and Loathing isn't nearly as good as The Rum Diary