Gene Wolfe

What am I in for?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=J_lnRnUhIS8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>I want to torture but I don't want to torture
>Well, that was fun!
>I'm off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Oz! The wiz, the wiz, the wiz, the wiz..

Skip it

Did Sam Hyde lie to me?

ive been trying to find an excerpt. it's sam hyde's and charls' favorite book series, so thats a good sign. but i dont wanna shell out $6 on abebooks without reading the first page

and no, the "look inside" feature on amazon is not available

who the fuck is sam hyde

a youtube comedian with a tv show called world peace. he's actually really funny

youtube.com/watch?v=J_lnRnUhIS8

but most people think hes a serial school shooter bc of a meme created by his fans. also hes not a racist, and he only supports trump bc hes post post post modern

>ecelebs on lit
wew
burn the fucking board and salt the earth, this place is finished.

>hes post post post modern
he's part of modern unironic sincerity

he doesnt really support trump, idk. he just hates sjws, leftists, and is so beyond caring what anyone thinks. hes crazy. i see him as a knut hamsun figure. hes brilliant and a nice guy

yeah, he's something like that. the point is that hes not republican

So i mean, should i get the book? Is there good value out of it, or just some fantasy book with no meaning to it

Greatest sf story ever written. Stop being a fucking wet towel faggot and stop asking people to choose for you. If you think it might be interesting, just read it.

>who is sam hyde

where have you been

nooooooooo

Start with 'The Fifth Head of Cerberus' then 'Peace.' You'll understand it much better. And then afterwards read 'The Man Who Was Thursday' and 'Tales of the Dying Earth.' You don't need anybody to tell you to start reading a book, but since you're here somebody should point you towards some useful context.

Those guys just transfer memes to video and call it comedy. They probably clicked on Veeky Forums once and took the first meme they saw. It could have just as easily been Ulysses.

I heard piece was final stop Wolfe? (Not OP but reading BOTNS and have read a Retrospective short fiction (which included Fifth Head of Cerebral Palsy) )

Peace*
dammit.
I heard Peace* was the final stop for Wolfe.

Final stop maybe in difficulty but he wrote it before New Sun and I think that it serves as an easier introduction to his longer writing. You won't get it but nobody does, and you'll be much better at dealing with stories within stories and weird narrators by the end, and that'll make New Sun a lot more coherent. Or at least it did for me.

And when you read Cerberus did you read the whole thing or just the first third? The first part was released as short-fiction but there are two more parts which tie it together into a bigger story. If you haven't read this whole thing I think you really should. It's relatively easy to read and in my opinion possibly Wolfe's best work.

I have this book and I think its the complete thing. it ended with him finding out the whole clone mess right (sorry haven't read it in a bit)
So far my favorite work was The Death of Doctor Island.

There are three stories with different narrators. Number 5 growing up in the bordello is 1/3 of The Fifth Head of Cerberus.

oh cool, I love the first one so I'll probably love the rest of it.
Have you read Latro in the Mist (Its description looks like it'll be my favorite one if it attempts the same level of intricacy)

Haven't read Latro yet. It's meant to be quite good though. I've been meaning to read some more Greek history first.

is he really though? there's nothing sincere about mde

It's good.
I think you'll enjoy it more if you keep in mind that it's supposed to be a copy of the memoirs of someone from a very different setting, translated by someone who speaks our English. This is why much of the language is obscure--the idea is that Gene Wolfe uses arcane words and makes up words with arcane roots so he can express concepts we no longer really have. Just keep google handy.
Also, you're going to be a little lost sometimes, sometimes annoyingly so--for instance in the first few chapters of the third book. Everything will be explained as the books go on and as your picture of Severian's world develops. For this reason, and because the series is rich with little threads that often connect in interesting ways, it's a very good series to reread.