Post something which led to you majoring in that field

It can be anything, a story, a book, even an object.

For me, it was Ken Ono's book.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

deriving sin^2x + cos^2x = 1 in highschool; understanding math wasn't just arbitrary horse shit.

I went into Physics because of Minecraft

The book "Entropy" by Oded Kafri.

Doing a Master's in Aerospace Engineering because of this

Is it because you didn't get any job offers after your bachelor's?

youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

Isn't that by definition?

I thought you derived it from the unit circle

>PhD in Mathematics
>any job I want
>300k Starting

Never has it felt so good to be a nerd

sin and cos are defined to be the sides of a right triangle

no they're not.

They're the sum of infinite series.

Yes

Ironically, my bachelor's was in ME

Tasty bait

correct

this dudes right
as well

Physics

Me back then: >Dude space and universe lmao

Now i just do it cause im autistic

>PhD in Art
>Any fries i want
>30 food coupons starting

Never has it felt so good to be an artist

I'll tell you the truth.

I'm a math major and top 10% student. I finished high school and basically thought I was a God Among Men for that alone, so I decided to just "get a job", and work and make money. However, after half a year of only working shit jobs I decided I should go to university anyway. I literally went on google and searched for the highest paying degrees out there, and one of the top degrees was mathematics so I just went for that. From that moment on I decided for myself that mathematics was going to be my new obsession, and it worked.

Physics.

Initially, I wanted to go into biomedical engineering to build prosthetics. But then I changed highschools, and I went to tiny boarding school with a border-line insane physics teacher.

He was the mot glorious combination of autism, poetry, masochism, and hippy. The first-year coarse focused almost entirely on intuition and he taught amazingly well in terms of pedagogy, even in his higher-level courses. But he also had a beautiful ability to translate it into.. I dunno how to say. Physics as an experience rather than as a study. Like the difference between smelling a flower and just having seen its diagram, but having both.

The pinnacle was the Entropy talk he gave once every two years. It was everything you would expect - a two-hour lecture of how the universe would die in excruciating detail, and why it was okay to not give a shit and be happy anyway.

its actually what got me looking into my own spirituality and physics as a way to deepen it and gain insight into it.

I should specify further. One of his favorite demonstrations was about the mind's perception and taking a nonjudgmental approach to feeling. For which, he would repeatedly slam a stapler into his arm and pick out the staples one by one. The guy's best friend was a flesh-hook suspension artist and would show off with a shark fishing hook on his key chain at the bars.

After high school I went to work with people with special needs (which was awesome), but I wanted to get a job with more perspective, so I became a nurse.

In nursing school I realized that while I still love old folks and have skilled small talk to 100% what fascinated me the most was the medicine part.

So I got into med school.

>pure math
I can think of me being interested in learning math all the way back in 1st grade. I'm not really sure how I developed this interested,

but I think it had to do with fascination with space and it's vastness and I think that somehow translated to fascination with large numbers and higher orders of magnitude, I remember getting 'wet' when I thought I saw a new term to describe bigger numbers. I knew million, and billion, and then I remember seeing "pillion" but I mistook the word for pillow. (this was back around 2nd grade)

So space->numbers->the rest of math->obvious major for an austist