How do I get the honor of working with this man?

How do I get the honor of working with this man?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=B2wRvhbJIQQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

poopoopipi

Propose a ludicrous, unreasonable idea at a TED talk.

>go to burning man
>realize it's really similar to mars
>tell him when he does a q&a

he will be really grateful to have someone experienced in his team

Not that hard. Study eng phys, do hackathons, do some eng competitions, get at least 2 good internships under you belt. Job at tesla isn't that hard

Send a letter to [email protected] detailing your Burning Man experience.

>honor
horor

What's wrong user?

Ask him about shiting on the next Mars q&a

People say it's very tough to work for him, he's a workoholic and he expects the same for you

implying you wouldn't work yourself to a pulp if you knew that your work could very measurably push an entire scientific field forward

I'm mad jelly of folks who have that level of purpose at their job

To work with Elron at SpaceXtology all you need to do is apply to one of their open positions though SpaceX pays shit so you'd be taking a salary cut in order to live some fantasy of furthering humanity by putting billionaires on Mars.

He practices 'management by walking about' meaning he wanders around all day like Aladeen from the Dictator asking strange questions about the rockets "Can we make this more pointy?" so you def will meet him

>though SpaceX pays shit
this. a couple friends of mine did internships at SpaceX and they pay utter dogshit. you are there for the hype.

>He practices 'management by walking about' meaning he wanders around all day like Aladeen from the Dictator asking strange questions about the rockets "Can we make this more pointy?" so you def will meet him

Holy kek. I interned there and this is 100% accurate. Sums it up perfectly

Can you describe it? I'm interested

Honestly, it wasn't that different from a normal internship with any other engineering firm. They did treat the interns as real employees, which was nice, although the pay did not reflect this. Work was pretty fast paced, and working ~70hrs/week was expected. Most of the employees were decent people. As for Elon, the other user's post sums it up perfectly. He walks around the office, comes up to you randomly, asks what you're working on, and then offers some small critique. When I address his suggestion (i.e. "yes, we tried that, and it is sub-optimal for this reason") he would scowl, look like I'm an idiot, and book it out of my cubicle super fast. In meetings, Elon has a huge superiority complex. He asks some straightforward question and then looks around the room like "None of you Schmucks could have ever thought of that". And he always thinks people are inadequate. He doesn't explain himself well? Your fault. He is downright wrong? Your fault. He claims to still work as an engineer, but honestly, he only ever addresses very surface engineering questions. He does seem to have a limitless supply of energy though, which I suppose is an asset.

>Elon has a huge superiority complex

Damn, I knew it, I always intuitively sensed Elon as a huge ego-driven control freak who goes through great lengths to suppress it in interviews and appear humble and kind

70 hrs/week is not normal for engineering interns or full time, even at major firms

t. RTL design engineer

Idk, I interned with digitalglobe prior to spacex (inb4 people find my linkedin) and I was expected to work well over 60hrs/week there. Maybe I've been unlucky and found places with a culture of overworking their interns.

i know plenty of civils that are putting in 70 hours no problem on big infrastructure projects. i also know plenty of field service ME's that are cranking out 100 hour weeks.

If you work anywhere that expects over a 40h workweek you're getting fucked, and that's on the high end of things.

>you're getting fucked
OT was double time for me as an intern, so if i was getting fucked, i loved it.

Well what do you suggest? Most good engineering internships have an expectation that you work a lot. There aren't many options for student jobs with reputable employers, and the competition amongst these interns is fierce. At least it's not as bad as finance

>OT was double time
wtf how do I get this?

Don't get in to an industry that expects you to sell your waking life for money you don't have time to use.

?
Thats why they pay you for it..
Any time sensitive project is going to involve a lot of over time

idk where that guy is working but the only places i know of where you just punch out 9-5 with no OT are federal/state jobs.

That's the only jobs you know of in America by the sounds of it.

yeah but you won't be working WITH him

State law in CA for hours over 52 in a week I believe

Huh, I've never experienced anything like that as an EE

Go away America, we're paid to do our job from 9-5 with a half an hour extra if the job requires it. Job doesn't get done within that time? It'll get done tomorrow
> but then you'll be late on tomorrow's schedule
Then that is bad planning by the management

Why don't you like making more money

>working ~70hrs/week was expected

Because I like not working

well, just so you know thats why euro engineers make 20-30k less than their US counterparts.

i got loans to pay off nigga, i need that dosh.

also, check 'em

>he thinks salaried workers get paid more for working overtime!

This is why america gets shit done while eurocucks take their fifth vacation of the year

we do. Obama fixed that shit.

also
>implying most engineers haven't caught on and negotiate for an hourly wage instead of salary.

user, these types of hours are extremely common in any positions whatever of actual responsibility. Basically anything north of the lowest pleb-retail jobs involving anything like a managerial or actual skilled function. I used to have a shit warehouse job at a place that was growing rapidly, and for about 18 months 10-14 hour days, six day weeks were common, averaging 55-70hrs/wk, and I was damn glad to do it-particualrly since I was getting all that mad OT. But I've just described a pure peon role.

You can still have a life outside of work, even with those types of hours. It's once you get into the 80-110 stuff that you're basically a doctor in residence or some poor finance sod who only lives for money and naught else.

I get that, if you NEED money then work yourself to the bone for all I care
The problem I have is the people that don't need the money and aren't enjoying their job. To them I just want to say, move to a different job. You have all this money lying around (or if you've fucked up it's invested in useless things) go try and do something you'll enjoy.

You'll die one of these days and will you be able to say "I've enjoyed my life"?

theres a thing in the US called "paying your dues". your first entry level STEM gig is guaranteed to be a hardcore grind, ideally at a big name company that looks good on a resume. you work that for 3-5 years, grab some licenses/certifications, and then move on. its the nature of our career progression. most people do have the opportunity to get some work-a-day 9-5 gig fresh out of college, but that doesn't pay much and you are setting yourself up for stagnation.

i get that money isn't everything and you need to take time to enjoy life, but building a career doesn't end with school. i've seen guys in their 50's turning the crank on some 65k a year cubicle job and it scares the fuck out of me that if i don't bust my ass i'm going to end up like one of them.

Holy kek just reading some of the things written about him and this one is too good not to post:

Elon Musk is not the best with relationships. He even whispered to his first wife during the wedding, “I am the alpha in this relationship”.

[math]Saged[/math] [math]Retard[/math]

>working 10 hours every day of the week
>still have a life
lol get a better job, everyone I know works 40-50 hours a week usually making 110-300k.
Elon's companies are known to be trash tier to work for anyways unless you have a boner for space or something.

Reminder

holy shit lmao. These levels of autism shouldn't even be possible

>ywn be dominated by elon
I didn't ask for these feels today

>if you were my employee I would fire you
lel what a boss

Hes looking for slaves

It had already been acknowledged in the above that the job to which I referred was a shit job, so your advice to get a better job is vacuous. I bet you thought that you added something to the exchange by writing that.

Also, your reading comprehension about the scheduling of said shit job sucks.

What a mis-placed and irrational fear. Do you believe that if you work hard enough, you are going to be able to get biological immortality treatments?

Money and status are void; not even procreation will save you. At the end of the game, all the pieces are put back in the same box. The fact that every rich prick ends exactly the same as everyone else is one of the major things which makes life bearable.

Elon Musk's role at spacex is to be a public face of the company and appeal to autists by convincing them he's doing something important so that they'll throw away their lives and work for him practically for free

Expanding slightly on the take-down, here: suppose that after many years, you own your own business, become a billionaire, a real owner/rentier, whatever you like, perhaps simply a modest millionaire, as opposed to your hated cubicle peons. What then?

/Then you're still fucking 50+, and life is still not worth living anymore by that point./ In that respect, you are literally every bit as good as, identical with, your feared nightmare peons: you are an old man who works.

I don't know if you're still here, but if you are, can you answer a question I've always had?

Does Musk actually force his employees to stand outside mission control and scream every time there's a launch? It seems like a lot of them don't want to be there during the night launches, and when there's a scrub on a Friday for some reason basically all of them are still there on the next launch date, even if that's in the middle of the night on a weekend.

and cheer*

You said they were extremely common, they're not you're just in some shitty job world.
cuck

>I am the alpha
HAHAHAHA!!!
youtube.com/watch?v=B2wRvhbJIQQ

I don't know if it's Elon personally who mandates this, but it is absolutely expected that you show up and express false enthusiasm.

sums it up perfectly. The strategy of spacex is to say "we are the most important company in the world" so that they will have lineups of people willing to work 70hrs/week for almost no pay. The mindless cheering was just a piece of this puzzle. Everybody standing around, wishing they were home, hoping their part doesn't fail and then their neck is on the chopping block, trying to muster some small amount of excitement

Yes he sure comes across as an alpha there kek

not at all. because my kids/rest of my family will have been elevated socio-economically and i will have broken a cycle of wage slavery and poverty that stretches back generations.

more importantly, if i work i will be able to work on my own terms and the fruits of my labor will be mine and mine alone.

Wow, that is both extremely sad and extremely funny.

What did you do at SpaceX, user? Were you working on the Falcon 9? Falcon Heavy? Something more interesting?

Oh, and did anyone there actually care about the rocket landings? Musk always goes on about "the futuuuree of rocketryryyyyy" but it doesn't seem like many people see reusable rockets as very relevant.

Elon Musk makes all the big calls on what to do

I was mainly a software engineer/doing some EE, mostly building tools for the other engineers to use.

I don't really understand the hype. Spacex will make it cheaper to launch satellites. That's about it. Reusable rockets might be useful, we will see. But we only need so many satellites, and launch costs are not even the principal cost involved in building/operating a satellite. In my experience, spacex is a meme company. Elon seems like a downright miserable guy who has a lot of strange/bad ideas about how the world works (gossip was always about him having a fucked up childhood/being bullied mercilessly, so this might explain it). He tries to keep it under control, but sometimes he just says weird shit. Another intern told me that Elon went on a rant about having a truckload of kids and how that establishes who's dominant in society and compared himself to Genghis Khan. This story was told after a few drinks though, so the intern may have been exaggerating

>Another intern told me that Elon went on a rant about having a truckload of kids and how that establishes who's dominant in society and compared himself to Genghis Khan

Now that's fucking funny

>Elon went on a rant about having a truckload of kids and how that establishes who's dominant in society and compared himself to Genghis Khan

Fuck me sideways, please let this be real

sup J

Nope. I am starting to freak out about getting doxxed though

Don't talk with larpers

I'd love to work on the cutting edge of technology, but at the same time, I don't want to be a slave while doing it.
wat do?

>I'd love to work on the cutting edge of technology, but at the same time, I don't want to be a slave while doing it.

pick one.

>>I was mainly a software engineer/doing some EE, mostly building tools for the other engineers to use.
Cool! Did you get to see the rockets? Did you meet Elon?

>Another intern told me that Elon went on a rant about having a truckload of kids and how that establishes who's dominant in society and compared himself to Genghis Khan.
Fucking KEK.

>working at SpaceX
>hard
he probably just had pretty good marks at uni and bothered to apply for an internship.

This misses the point, and you have the classic delusion of the productive adult, a sort of practiced, "protestant work ethic" that keeps the self-justifying grind going.

You hold at bay the simple fact that you, and everyone you will ever love and care about, will all be dead within a few decades on the outside.

What is the point of breaking the cycle of poverty if one does not break the cycle of death? The correct answer: there is none.

Academia. Of course, there is a downside.

I saw some assemblies, and obviously was at mission control for the launches.

I did see Elon frequently. He's very involved in things and it's a small team.

It's not hard to get an internship. Grades don't matter, I have a shit GPA. I do a lot of hackathons, engineering competitions, have been on several robotics teams, and had that internship with digitalglobe. Also keep in mind they're basically only allowed to hire americans under ITAR, so that reduces the competition greatly

>>I saw some assemblies, and obviously was at mission control for the launches.
Which ones? Were you around for CRS-8? That one was my favorite.

>I did see Elon frequently. He's very involved in things and it's a small team.
Did he do the "can we make this more pointy" thing or was he actually bringing important shit up?

can you start doing the teams and competitions in college? I went to a shit high school in a rural town without any of those programs or even AP classes. How do you seek out these groups at college?

you mistakenly believe the grind doesn't end. you think that there isn't such a thing as self perpetuating wealth even when people who live that lifestyle are right in front of your eyes.

there is a privileged upper class, and wanting my progeny to be apart of it is not delusional or unrealistic.

Not going to say which ones, since that will tell everyone exactly when I worked there. Not there for crs8 though.

Elon's questions were not cosmetic, but they clearly were being asked by a guy who wasn't intimately familiar with the work. These engineering teams have thought of every angle. Elon would always give suggestions about things we had already tried and new didn't work, but then he'd look at us like we are idiots and that's why it failed.

You've got to start early. If you're in eng or comp sci, join clubs and hang out with the hardcore competitive crowd. I started by doing the concrete toboggan team and then met people working on a drone ship project, they introduced me to people working on a weather ballon instrument, and it went from there. You've got to get plugged into the community early by joining clubs and stuff

okay thanks, I'm a bit aspie so I didn't know if there was a listing somewhere of groups or you just have to try and find them through other people

I would just reiterate, start early. It's not awkward in first year to be actively seeking these things out. Nobody has friend at first, etc. But in later years, people have settled in, and then it gets weird if you're the guy suddenly trying to join these teams

gotcha, thanks man

>Elon's questions were not cosmetic, but they clearly were being asked by a guy who wasn't intimately familiar with the work. These engineering teams have thought of every angle. Elon would always give suggestions about things we had already tried and new didn't work, but then he'd look at us like we are idiots and that's why it failed.
He does sound like an asshole when you put it like that. Are people scared of him?

Do you have any information on the MCT? From everything I've read about it, it seems to just be a huge trick Musk is pulling on his investors to get them to stay in. Look at this graph, it's almost as delusional as the ramblings of people who think Tesla is worth as much as Ford.

Seriously? Everything is bad now, but as soon as we make another Saturn V without much government support, everything will be amazing and we'll all live on Mars in harmony?

Dude shut up. People don't need to hear this.

And I swear to god if If I ever find out who you are i will ram my cock down your ass so far dow

spot the SpaceX employee

tell me, does Elon like you to work on the balls?

Elon pls go

Holy shit what an autist

> honor
its honour you filthy colonialist

just be confident

Autism + Wealthy Upbringing + Sociopathy = Elon Musk.

It is however very, very stupid, especially if you yourself cannot be a part of the elect.

Wanting a better future for one's children is another stupidity, closely bound up with the above delusion already described.

The man who plants a tree whose shade he knows that he will never rest in, is not therefore wise. The negation of this statement is an analogous delusion that the human animal is primed by its own will-to-life delusion, to think true.

At the extreme end of all this is where the whole thing flips, the "value system" I've suggested thus far. In the event that the davos-rich, the rentiers, the Bogdanoffs of the world do get biological immortality going for themselves, then this will be an ontological game-changer, and it will necessitate their elimination.

You literal useless sacks of omega shits think you're better than that guy? fucking kek

Fuck off elon

>It is however very, very stupid, especially if you yourself cannot be a part of the elect

there is nothing saying i won't be able to. plenty of people retire early and wealthy and i'm already well on my way.

you also make a bunch of ignorant assumptions, like i'm going to be working 60 hours a week till i'm 50. there is another difference between me and the cubicle drone. credentialing and high level experience make it so you get paid more for working less. if you think this is untrue, you are completely ignorant of the engineering profession. i know successful PE's who spend only a couple of hours a week stamping prints and take home a considerable sum. do i really have to explain investing in ones own career to you? apparently so.

what you are saying is equivalent to "just spend all your money now because saving it for later won't get you anything in the long run"

thats foolish.

also, i don't care about your prattling about "muh biological immortality". thats philosophical masturbation and not imminent enough of a reality to be of concern.

> Wealth Upbringing
was he that wealthy?
I thought he made his money being a decent engineer/paypal

He made his money by getting his startups bought out

And he's currently making his money by being a welfare queen. He's all-in into his companies and if they go bankrupt, he's done, which means that every next subsidy is technically safeguarding his wealth

?
How can you go bankrupt when he's in an industry with zero competition & unlimited demand?

He bought it (with Tesla capital) before the bankruptcy and merged it with Tesla, and then proceeded to make meme factories with solar panels to justify his retarded move