Muh suffering and submission is good

>muh suffering and submission is good
>Russia good Europe bad
>crime lmao
Can we stop pretending that this faggot was any good? He wrote glorified, melodramatic mystery novels. His stories are stupid and his characters never develop, and his religious and psychological ideas are shallow and obviously the thoughts of a very sad, damaged man. Putting this pathetic loser next to Tolstoy and Gogol is a disgrace.

Pic related, a picture of the hack himself. Look at the vacant, stupid expression, the expression of all idiots who think that they are actually smart.

>not wanting to read books written by a sad, damaged man

Back to the YA you go.

>wanting to read the incoherent ramblings of a crypto-Christian
Go back to /r9k/

This was the quickest game of spot-the-pleb Ive ever played.

>2016
>not being a Christian

God is great, faggot.

>dude u just don't get it man xD I'm a patrician because I never developed my own opinions on "classic" novels

you suck at reading.

Quality thread

t. Nabokov

>2016
>not mourning the death of god

>Russia good Europe bad
Not really, no, he hasn't implied this. More like the opposite.
>crime lmao
Are you fucking retarded

don't worry bro, DFW surpasses all

When your country has only existed for a couple centuries and contains no culture of note it is hard for it to produce great works. Pity the American, moreso the cheeseburger

You got me to respond, I guess, so good bait on that level.

If you read Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov and then seriously thought there was no character development you need to consider an eye test.

"mystery novels"

>bitter americucks angry that one Russian is superior to their entire "literary tradition"

Lmao at ur life

If you as an American, haven't read all of Twain, Emerson, Whitman, Dickinson, Melville, Faulkner, James and so forth, then you're being incredibly delusional.

America has no right to be ashamed of its literary output, in fact for so young a country, it's incredibly impressive.
You should be proud.

>Not really, no, he hasn't implied this. More like the opposite.

Please elaborate.

>he thinks he's better than Dostoevsky
lmao

quality shitpost, Nabokov

You are faggot. I don't enjoy his cuck philosophy but the development of the characters that he build is simply fantastic.

>dude u just don't get it man xD I'm a patrician because I hold deliberately contrarian beliefs to make myself seem more interesting

When a certain character kills himself in C&p he says he is going to America. I think that's proof enough Dostoevsky isn't a big fan of the us

read winter notes on summer impressions. dosty hated europe

kek

None of these writers, except for Bulgakov and Gorky, were pureblooded Russians

not the same guy but he made Russians out to be kind of scummy people. I can't think of a single instance where he goes out of his way to make the country seem like a pleasant place. maybe you could elaborate instead

None of dosty's worlds seem pleasant

Switzerland seems like a pretty nice place

He also pretty much only writes about foreigners in a negative fashion.

he didnlt write sitcoms desu

He didn't make his German English or french characters any less scummy

He wrote about scummy people because A. It's authentic and B. He believes Russia was falling into self destructive hedonism because it lost its faith in God

>read all of Twain, Emerson, Whitman, Dickinson, Melville, Faulkner, James and so forth

Why would anyone do that when you can read authors of importance instead?

I think you need to actually read his novels, they're full of anti-European and pro-Russian sentiment, with the only tricky thing being that in the latter he was still honest with himself about Russia and its people having faults. In The Idiot one character interprets Wormwood from Revelation as being the railroads springing up across Europe, and Myshkin even talks about how Russians must resist the religious influence coming from Europe (their Catholicism), and insists that Russian culture, including their correct religion, must spill over into Europe, who have "never known God". Notes From Underground has the main character attacking Western ideas of progress and a rationality that Dostoevsky found smothering, hence the famous line about two and two being four, but sometimes two and two being five is a good thing too; as well as the frequently used motif of the Crystal Palace.

You have a point. The Brothers karamazov is basically a mystery novel. Alyosha is such a static and uninteresting character, and a lot of the pholosophical dialogue seems hamfisted

Fuck off, Turgueniev. No one reads your work here.

>Dostoevsky
>crypto-Christian
you're a retard

>not worshipping satan instead

top FUCKING kek, was hoping to get a list similar to this

you do if you search "authors" like the other guy did

no i searched for "american authors" and got a shitty band

I then reverse searched the OP, click on "authors" and saw that the auto set my search bar to "list of authors"

i added in "american" and just got the same list you have now

>Toni Morrison

she's basically the only PoC woman worth reading m8

toni morrison looks like a gorgon

Demons is a very hard book to work through - am I retarded or should I have trained myself to read a Dostoyevsky book through lesser novels from less complex writers?

Made a thread without realising this one already existed:
So is he our guy then?

You both need to neck yourselves.

People only say this shit about Dostoevsky because Nabokov did, and if either acclaimed writer is in fact inferior it's pretty fucking obviously Nabokov. Stuck-up pseudo-aristocrat was terrified of human beings.

You probably should have read his other works first

Oh, fuck off. I can imagine you typing this with your limp hands, living in your comfortable upper middle-class house. You had never suffered in your life, you would live your entire life in comfort zone and likely die inside of it. You can't even read for more than 10 minutes, because you get oh so bored. You haven't even read Tolstoy, but you like to namedrop him because of "objective greatness", like you've read in your hipster pseud magazine. You think Gogol is funny, goddamn. You probably think you have a good sense of humour. I fucking pity you

As always with writers, his major texts are good but philosophy is complete garbage.
>see Tolstoy or Hamsun for further proofs

Please elaborate why you think Tolstoy's philosophy is "garbage"

Pseudo-eastern pacifist nonsense promulgated by an imperial count who could take 5 younger people in a fight at the age of 70.
>all you need is a small plot of land, etc.
Tchekhov famously responded with "all you need is the whole world".

Please elaborate on why you think Dostoevsky's philosophy is garbage

>dude maybe if i go against the popular opinion i will seem smarter hehe even if i don't have any valid argument against it hehe xD

Just because they make you read this shit in your high school does not mean it's good lmao, specially compared to Russia.

>those hamfisted negroes by the goggle jew
WE

This is possibly the most retarded interpretation of Dostoevsky I've seen. Are you OP by any chance? Have you even read more than one novel by Dostoevsky?

Who's the goggle jew?

>Pseudo-eastern pacifist nonsense
extremely accurate description of Christianity

that's not what ham-fisted means.
read a fucking book.

Great brainless interpretation. You're never going to make it.

t. god is dead xD

no actually I'm a Christian. Just thought it was funny how that guy was attempting to discredit Tolstoy as some fringe weirdo when he's just trying to be a good Christian, and the actual application of Christian ethics looks more like Tolstoy than most of Western civilization