Imperial vs. Metric

Let me explain for you idiots out there why pic related is wrong and retarded.

Both measurement systems have their use.

Metric units
>Prioritize ease of calculation.
>Remove conversion factors between mass and energy, mass and volume
>Are totally arbitrary.

Imperial units
>Prioritize ease of measurement
>Are scaled to the human body. (An inch is a finger segment, a yard is a leg, a foot is a foot)
>Are based around convenience, and are intuitive.

Overall, you should use the system of measurement that best fits the situation at the time. For example, sailors used to use miles for lateral distances, and fathoms for vertical distances. This made sense, because their world was a pancake.

Conversion factors are easy, forcing the entire society to use a particular measurement scale in some grand unifying scheme removes the complex particularity of all our innumerable tasks. A machinist will be familiarized with different units than a structural engineer, who will in turn use different scales than a sound engineer. For example, when you measure the thickness of electrical wires, you're not talking "millimeters", you're talking "gauges"

Furthermore, the metric system just uses prefixes to lengthen or shorten their scale. But you can do the same thing with imperial units. You can talk about deca-feet, kilo-feet, mega-feet.....etc. Easy as pie.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/funny/comments/2e2do9/the_metric_system_vs_imperial/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Dude, what textbook is that from?

reddit.com/r/funny/comments/2e2do9/the_metric_system_vs_imperial/

>actually direct linking to fucking reddit
Why can't it be 2005 again? Go the fuck away and never come back

this is the reason i like Veeky Forums

Just use the fucking SI units. How hard can it be? The metric system is best used for scientific calculations and you are on Veeky Forums not on /b/. Quit complaining.

overreacting much? thanks for the laugh

In metric, one milliliter of oil occupies one cubic centimeter, weighs "Go fuck yourself", and requires "Go fuck yourself" of energy to heat up by one degree centigrade - which is "Go fuck yourself" percent of the difference of its freezing point and its boiling point.

Also 1g of H2 has 0.99223 moles of H atoms in it, you brainlet Euros.

which is why metric volume and energy conversion revolves around water at sea level and room temperature. No one in their right mind would take oil as a serious argument against metric, unless of course their a retard like yourself

Brainlets gunna brain

Only a fucking monster would have a foot the size of a imperial-foot.

It was the foot of some English king I believe. For most normal people it's around the size of their foot while wearing shoes

Maybe he is butthurt because imperial system has some obscure unit. Something like a guineapigpussy is the unit to measure kinectic energy, which is defined like 28,59348... times the force of the queen's cunt that distorts a copper rod in 3,45526... degrees in a full moon night.

that's a jooooj, the guneapig is a unit to measure luminance.

>the only chemical worth considering is water

actually it's ergs and dynes

What you notice is that the various units of measure all began with a particular experiment that someone ran. They created the measurement system to conveniently record the results of that experiment

For example, Fahrenheit is the scale used to measure the number of degrees an iron rod will twist a dial due to heat expansion. This is why we say "degrees" Fahrenheit.

But really you should just use the units that are convenient for any given situation.

>Not having a standard for which your measurements are based on

Boy I sure wish we could all just make shit up as we go along like you do. How did that work out for you in your phd thesis? You aren't a brainlet are you user?

>missing the point that metric is just as arbitrary as american

B-b-but the boiling point of water, user!

I'm euro, but I use murican measurements sometimes. Inches are more practical than centimeters, because the size is closer to the range of things that needs to be measured in them. An inch is a good measure for anything small enough to hold in your hands, but big enough not to be lost inside a junk drawer.

It is more descriptive so say a few feet, than say 87 cm. If exact measurements are required, one should use scientific e notation for the number and just one unit. No need for mm cm m km.

I prefer to say a few miles away to saying a few kilometers away. A mile is a thing in itself. A kilometer is a constant multiplied by a thing. 1000 * meter.

Ease of conversion among derived units may mask the fact that in reality the connection is not straight forward.

Intuitively it would feel more useful to have units with exponential size increase rather than linear.

t.manlet

>Arbitrary

You're right. Water isn't the foundation of life, where it started and what we are primarily composed of. It's just some random shit like a knuckle that those retards decided to use.

>water is the foundation of life
Next you'll say that base-10 is non-arbitrary

When are you going to accept that the only reason you like the system, it's because it's called imperial and you have an authoritarian boner.

The reason America does not switch to metric is because

1. We would need to retool all our manufacturing and as the world's #1 manufacturing nation this is not a small task 'but my country did this, it's no big deal' is not an excuse. Your country is shit, all your countries are shit, America is the #1 manufacturing center on Earth.

2. We would need to ignore thousands of historical books and rewrite hundreds of textbooks. Stupid

3. There is no reason to change. I carry in my pocket access to all the knowledge on Earth. I can ask anytime to convert any unit of measurement to any other unit of measurement and receive an answer in a nanosecond. Carrying about conversion in the information age is lunacy.

4. I know what a meter is, I know what an inch is, I know what a liter is, I know what a gallon is, I know what 1 degree Fahrenheit is, I know what 1 degree C is so who cares?

>We would need to ignore thousands of historical books

c'mon, this is exactly what americans do anyway

We use base 10 because we have 10 fingers

Even something as basic as this is based on the human body

While of course its true that unit systems are a tool and we should always use the ones that fit our needs best, I've never been in a situation where imperial was more convenient for any reason other than that the people I'm working with or who designed my equipment were insisting on imperial and its easier to go with the flow. Any situation where I don't have instruments or don't need accuracy and so am measuring with parts of my body, its more natural to say "knuckles" and "paces" instead of inches and feet to better communicate the very approximate nature of the numbers I'm giving