Imagine you're a kid again

What scientific(or mathematical) fact blew your fucking mind when you were a kid?

>inb4 maymay answers

A fact that blew my mind was that by going faster you age slower.

The shape of the earth

For me:

>The sun is actually a star and we moved around it.
>Our ancestors came from the sea
>Our legs used to look like hands (I looked at my leg for the longest time and tried to move my toes like fingers and the realization creeped me out)
>The existence of the asteroid belt
>what pi meant (I asked my sister)

Is the double slit experiment a meme answer? Blew my mind in like 6th grade

D•I•N•O•S•A•U•R•S!!!

The properties of primes and prime factors

0!=1
I was so angry (i still kinda am)

when I found out I could use Pythagoras to calculate the distance between pixel (in qbasic back then) my mind exploded big time.

that US blacks have an average IQ 15 points lower than US whites. That the average IQ of blacks is 85. Totally blew my mind.

!!!

This and everytime I found easy and solvable maths as a kid thanks to geometry basic stuff so I told my mom to make me an exam or, I could make the exam and she would check the answers so I could progress faster in the knowledge field (she denyed it and 10 years later I started getting my shit done and studying maths hard-mode again). Also the discovery of possible time travel.

Came here to post this

>qbasic

nostalgia bomb. That was the beginning of the end for me, now I post on Veeky Forums

If you fire a bullet in a train moving faster than he bullet, the bullet will keep going forward and not go to the back of the train

Still fucked up over this

Honestly, this

Because the gun that the bullet is in is moving at the same speed as the train (i.e. it's a closed system), so it already has speed; firing it gives it extra force forward and so the bullet travels forwards as expected.

Bullets don't go backwards just because our rocky planet is hurtling through space at 32,000 km/s

If you drop an anvil and a feather from the same height they are supposed to arrive on the floor at the same time but they don't do so because of air.

Thanks captain obvious
you are a great addition to the Veeky Forums board

DESU, the arithmetic mean formula. Still blows me away every time. Take two (or more) values, could be as far apart as you like, add them and divide by the number of values, and wah-law, the average. Beautiful.

That light travels 186,000 miles per second. (or 300,000 kilometers per second for you third-world countries)

In no order:
How big the USA really was, as a kid who grew up in Alabama I didnt really know the rest of the world existed until I was 8.
How lightning worked
How weather worked
The states of matter
Bacteria and Diseases
The general concept of space was incredible

So that means black teenagers have IQs in the low 70s making them mentally retarded and black kids are in the 60s making terminally retarded and black toddlers are all the way in the 40s making them dumber than full grown chimps.

So everytime you see a black toddler you are witnessing a turbo tard.

>wah-law
Get out

Its a meme you dip
everyone knows its wa-la

Reading about supernovas in my first science book

How they calculated c still blows my mind.

proof of Pythagorus was pretty mind blowing in grade 8

UFOs.

The possibility of alien life has always been on my mind but the day I saw the pictures of a burnt alien in a crash, that gave me nightmares for weeks.

fuckin brainlet

go google the lunar footage of this concept, its cool

>being a nigger
i would hope something would blow my fucking mind so i'd have better luck next respawn.

>0!=1
I was so angry I couldn't understand this in school

Da cat is alive

Before modern IQ graphs were updated, in the 70's most blacks had IQ levels of around 75. This means around 90% of the black population classifies as mentally retarded; black children don't pass the mirror test until the average age of 7.

this was me and how fucking huge space is

Wasn't quite a kid when I finally discovered these, but
>For the same weight, making an airplane bigger actually REDUCES the power needed to keep it airborne
>For a given airplane in a max-effort turn, more speed actually REDUCES turn radius (up to the point that the wings get ripped off due to G-forces)

People who go on about how "angry" they are about definitions, semantics, some linguistic quirk are usually totally retarded and know not nearly enough about a subject to warrant such anger. (ie faggots who argue about tau vs pi)

I'm a brainlet but here it goes

The fact that my lineage goes directly back to animals that weren't human and eventually to substances that weren't even living blew my mind the most as a kid

This one sounds really stupid but I also liked the thought that I was technically "in" every picture taken of the Earth after I was born and have always thought of it that way since.

Not really a fact but I really liked Carl Sagan's pale blue dot monologue a lot and listened to it almost every fucking day

The Law of Conservation of Energy

I also used to take comfort in the idea of heat death but I'm not so sure that theory's accurate anymore

>diameter = 2*radius
I used to ask my dad how long a diameter was. I thought it was 2 metres for the longest of time.

>some stars explode when they die
that one blew my tiny brain back when I was 5

75 is African IQ so it looks like the white blood of American niggers boosted it higher.

That heat is light and we're all like little light bulbs walking around and when the light stops you die.

I'm not going on or arguing about that, i just didn't like it because it isn't consistent with the first definition of factorial that they taught me

That "gravity" is not a pulling force by mass its an acceleration to electromagnetic voidance.

Is this true?

you learned that as a kid?

That strange matter converts all matter it touches to strangelets

Every time I learned about a fundamental building block that could be classified, I was thrilled. It started with nucleons, then went to elements, then to quarks and leptons.

That neutron stars are big lumps of neutrons

Black holes exist

Gamma ray bursts, but only a bit

it's been two days and i still can't remember something that blew my mind as a kid

Yes its true, and its why magnets attract as well. In a magnets case the voidance is more pronounced as the field coherency is very tight. Gravity is magnetism.

Gravity is motion through curvature of space time

I did actually though I'm only 23 now so I guess it wasn't that awful long ago.

Gravity is a acceleration to dielectric void space caused my motion through an electromagnetic field.

please explain

Each and every one of us is a skin covered skeleton holding up a sack of goop.

Consider why a magnet "pulls" as is commonly thought. What is different about a magnet before and after its magnetized? Its field coherency. The same difference between a 5w lightbulb and a 5w laser. If you examine a magnet under a ferocell you can see how the field lines propagate to form a whirlpool shape in the center on both "poles". A magnet is always seeking to restore the balance lost during magnetization. The earth is exactly the same except its field coherency is not nearly as high. Quanity makes up for quality though and earth has a massive electromagnetic field and thusly a massive dielectric voidance.

you age slower relative to an someone who isn't going fast. From your perspective it won't feel slower though

Btw Tesla and all the greats knew these things, gravity is not as mysterious as the established dogma would have us believe. The ether is real, and its just a all encompassing electromagnetic field.

How does the Michelson-Morley experiment work?

I didn't understand back then how it disproved the existence of ether.

Maybe your mind weren't blow at all by science as a kid. A lot of people o Veeky Forums are gonna tel you you are a brainlet for that, while in reality they were just emotionally affected by something that didn't affect you, and there's literally nothing smart about being fascinated by science.

irrational numbers (i still really like the proof for root 2)

fucking magnets

As I remember that experiment used a half silvered mirror to send a light beam in both the transverse and longitudinal directions and then see if they arrived back at different times due to interaction with the ether. They did the test multiple times but not since the 1920s. In my opinion I don't put much stock In their findings because electromagnetic fields are always the same shape unless effected by another and there are no straight lines in the universe. Where we are in respect to the source of the ether would be needed.

Gabriel's horn
Finite volume
Infinite surface area

I don't get it. How would it have different measures? They were implying that an inertial reference system existed and it was the ether, right?

So why would it change the measures? I don't get it.

the motherfucking cissoid of diocles

I assume because in one direction you would be either working with or against the perceived flow and the other direction should remain the same.

How big space is. My family had a huge space atlas, and one of the foldouts showed sequentially larger scaled sections of space. It started with the Solar system, then showed it within the Orion arm, then showed that within the Milky Way, then the Local Group, then the supercluster, and finally the entire universe. Getting the scale of our planet in the context of the universe is pretty mind boggling as a 5 year old kid.

Also the fact that everything in the EM spectrum travels the same speed. Also the effect of gravity on spacetime. Also quantum superposition and entanglement when I was a bit older.

That we were really zooming around at like 20km/s in a rough circle

And that if you want to go somewhere in space you go fast in a circle too, but you turn off your engines after you're going fast enough

When I was a kid, probably between 6 and 10, my family went to the science center in our city and this guy showed us that if you put a tennis ball on a basketball and drop them, the tennis ball goes flying. I remember being amazed by that.

When I was around 8 or 10 I was thinking about Back to the Future and I concluded that it would be possible to go back in time, but not forward. Then when I was about 20 I was in the brig and I came across an issue of Scientific America that said something like, "According to top scientists, if time travel is possible, it will likely only be possible to go to the past, but not the future." It blew my mind in a not very good way since I was in jail. I thought, "Damn. What I am I doing with my life hashtag wasted potential."

t. el Arcón

>black children don't pass the mirror test until the average age of 7.

That kind of sounds like bullshit friend, would you mind providing a source for that statement?

WOOAHH

what if you fire it from outside of the train?

>got a book about space in late 90s
>original Hubble Deep Field is in it

I stared at that picture for hours. I still get the same feeling from it, that the galaxies are screaming out at me, the vastness screaming in my face. I get it with other Hubble images as well, mainly from the nondescript, non focal point galaxies, just the ones floating in the background, with a tiny bit of detail, a spiral arm or two, never imaged again. Trillions of stars, probably entire civilizations, all contained within a smudge that no one even notices.

Back then I didnt understand it as I do now, I was simply mermerized by it. There was a beauty to it that I just couldnt figure out.

why where you in prison

For me it was that you can take a bucket full of air, flip it around, and hold it underwater and then you have a bubble of air underwater you can breathe in.

Then it blew my mind again how dangerous doing that actually is because your lung can implode because of the water pressure

Apparently the earth isnt actually a solid ball and the core moves at a different speed with the crust like a soup of molten metal. That and earthquakes are big as plates of rock flopping down after sliding up a bit on each other. Really fucked me up. Also the fact that a pin needle tip of neutron matter would be heavier than the empire state building. I always wondered what it would do if it were dropped.

the moment when I derived factorial by myself

doing 9 times table up to 10*9 on my hands by lowering the finger corresponding to the multiple, and counting tens to the left of it and units to the right.

What said. They were testing to see if there existed an independent inertial reference frame in the universe, the ether. If true, one of the beams would have to be faster or slower than the other, as the interferometer itself would be moving against or with the ether wind (created from the fact that the earth rotates around the sun and thus must move through the ether). The difference causes a phase shift between the waves, which would change the resultant interferogram.

When I was young (around 12) I read that you can find out if a number is divisible by 3 by adding the digits and checking if the new number is divisible by 3. This completely blew my mind and after a while proving that it was true ended up being my first proof. On the whole it was a good formative experience.

>I always wondered what it would do if it were dropped.
Most likely it immediately burrows itself in the earth until it reaches the core.

not true

It would explode actually. The internal pressure would be orders of magnitude stronger than gravity.

The earth is rotating

Finding out God was bullshit blew my mind and made me question everything.

I think that the fact that the average white IQ is 100 is pretty piss poor like we should probably just create a whole new ethnicity/country of people with high IQs at this point.

please

but what if you fire it towards the back of the train?

What if I were traveling at .75c then I launch a ball at .8c? Would the ball go back in time?

1 Million exists

There's a spooky skeleton inside me

you must be black

there are numbers bigger than 100^100

still can't wrap my head around this

Do you have some kind of head trauma?

What makes you think that someone who browses this board wouldn't know such a trivial thing? Holy shit, I'm legit mad

Woahh just tried it

That I could see through things or not by closing one eye.
That shadows reach out to each other when they get close.
That burying through the floor on the second floor would bring me to another rooms ceiling.
That you can fit two cups of sugar in one cup of water.
That repeatedly ollying a skateboard would not make you fly.

Using rref, regression, fraction mode on my TI-84
Area metaphor for distributive property
Curve stitching, spirographs