How scientifically accurate is Rick and Morty?

How scientifically accurate is Rick and Morty?

>cartoon thread

a significant proportion of great mathematicians share personality traits with Rick.

I am no great scientist, but when I teach I like to imagine that I am Rick and my students are my Morty's

hey reddit

Practically not at all.

On a first order abstraction, the science is cartoony magic bullshit. Occasionally scientific concepts will be touched on (see: the quantum episode), but there's nothing of any substance there.

On a second order abstraction, we can look at the process and structure behind the in universe "science". This too, is a jumble of nonsense. Processes are inconsistent, and usually only apply when it's convenient for the show. Additionally, notice that Rick never makes any discoveries on screen. Rather, he takes advantage of obscure facts that only he seems privy too. There's almost no process of trial and error. Rick is not a scientist, but an unusually knowledgeable engineer.

On a third order abstraction, we begin to see the structure of how people percieve scientists, and partially why the show is successful. At this level, we see the paradigm through which society view great scientists and researchers. If you have a PhD, your family probably sees you as Rick is portrayed: always 3 steps ahead of everyone, and able to solve issues with just one obscure piece of seemingly irrelevant trivia. There may be some resentment over always having your "head in the clouds", and not focusing on what other people want you to. Contrary to what seems to think, Rick doesn't represent what most great minds are like, just what most great minds wish they could act like to the average person who tries to control them.

Which brings us to the 4th order abstraction, which is the viewpoint of the audoence, and how it relates to the show. We live in a world so complex that no one person can understand all the things going on in it anymore. This is true for great minds, and even more so for small minds. Experts bombard people with information, saying we need to do X to optimize Y, with justification being either impenetrably byzantine, or not forthcoming at all. The system then optimizes for Y, all while leaving you and everyone you know to eat shit.

This results in a cynicism born of abandonment. The world leaves behind any who can't keep up, and many CAN'T keep up. In Rick and Morty this is expressed by a sort of hedonistic libertarianism, in which everyone just tries to get the best shit for themselves, fuck the other people. This is amplified by the incoherence of the universe of the show, which only Rick seems to be able to understand. Consider the first commercials episode, in which Rick uses an interdimensional cablebox to idly pass an afternoon and the other family members try to feed their egos. There's no further exploration of the capabilities or implications, it simply is, "therefore" the logic of the show goes "we should derive whatever pleasure we can from it".

Also worth considering is the character of Morty, the only character who consistently displays empathy. This is portrayed as being naive, and possibly really dumb, partially due to the way in which Morty actually implements it, but don't confuse this with an indictment on Morty. Within the filter of the show, Morty is dumb. Therefore, he behaves in stupid ways, one of which is by attempting to care for others. The takeaway is not only that trying to follow one's empathetic impulses is dumb, but more to the point, if Morty weren't dumb he wouldn't act on empathy at ALL.

All of this is quite cold and perhaps even a bit revolting, but it perfectly captures a zeitgeist welling up in our world right now. We're told that we need to follow any number of baffling behaviors by people who are ostensibly smarter than we are. After complying, we're left to dry. This is repeated again and again in every sector of our lives, and by every authority figure we meet, whether that be local governmenr, federal government, businesses, or even parents and relatives.

Repeat this process enough times, and is it any surprise that we find ourselves in the situation that we do? If you spend a person's lifetime conditioning them to expect others to not show empathy, and to take advantage of empathy shown, then ask them to show empathy for l, say, refugees, or niggers, or immigrants, or trannies, or whoever, is it really so shocking that a fierce backlash is produced, where millions of people, all rise up as a tidal wave and with a low, roaring thunder slap the sands with a single, all piercing 'NO"?

This feeling, of the world being actively hostile to our best instincts and catering to our worst ones, of being utterly incomprehensible by use of our senses except by the greatest of intelligences, of being so completely HOSTILE to what we want the world to look like resonates deeply with many for a reason. This beating down of the human spirit, until only the instinct to consume self-perpetuate is allowed to remain is the true struggle of modernity, and Rick and Morty perfectly captures that, oftentimes poignantly. This is the true strength of Rick and Morty.

But the science is dogshit. Go read a book instead you dumb nigger.

Corn niblets and dead weatherman are the tv static of interdimensional travel.

Teaching middle school math seems right up your alley.

Nice analysis senpai, you hit the nail on the head

user, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this.
take it to Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums as well, they'll fucking love it.

Not at all. The appeal to the real science nerd of this show isnt accuracy, its reference jokes that the general public dont get. Like in the uncertain time episode you have all the schrodinger cats floating in space, or the neutrino bomb from the first episode that doesnt kill anyone.

Cool

OP here, the reason I made this thread is to have rick and morty in Veeky Forums.

I'm conflicted because this was a great and succinct analysis of the underlying theme, but I don't want to lend credit to "LMAO SCIENCE THIS SHOW IS AWESOME XDDD" retards who shit themselves at the mere reference of the show.

uh, i dont think anyone in rick and mortys fanbase likes it because 'lol science'

You've clearly never been near reddit then

uh, of course?

The only people who watch this shit are brainlets who like pretending they get every reference to some shitty science joke.

Parts of it resonated with me, so I'm keeping it. Here's the cap.

That's quite a bit of thinking you've done there buddy.

do u think schrodingers cat is THERE..or not :)

I like to watch granpa Rick taking care of Morty.

"nigger nigger nigger, I am an English major nigger"

summed up your posts

OP: 0%

it's a fucking cartoon you mongrels, take it elsewhere

>posting reddit and memey on Veeky Forums

Yes.

It's so accurate it actually makes reality inaccurate.

Why are children so dumb?

It is the most scientifically accurate show ever made. It is even more scientifically accurate than cosmos and reality TV.

Take your reddit meme show to reddit.

Decent analysis

Although summer is pretty dumb and doesn't really display empathy, so I don't know what to make of that

Get out barneyfag

she's a young woman, of course she's gonna be both

Good post.

Stop samefagging cancer.

Nice

>10 replies to a legitimately interesting, high-effort post over 12 fucking hours
>This specific one is samefag

Almost everything in the show is Clarke's Third Law

>skipping the 3rd layer of abstraction

Are you children still talking about your gameshow?

t. nigger

Two interpretations there:

Interpretation 1: Summer retarded teenage instincts (caring about the most useless shit like being liked by people who she doesn't even like in the first place) could be a different portrayal of stupidity. Maybe one much deeper than Morty's (If you watch the show you may get the feeling that as dumb as Morty is, Summer is even dumber) so maybe the thing is that she is head on shoe retarded that empathy simply does not even reach her mind as a possibility.

Case in point, many times Rick shows that he can think of emphatic behavior, but choses not to do it. Because he is smart enough to recognize the "good" in him but then also even smarter to know that he'd be dead if the decided to act like that.

2) I get a good feel that the writers hate women (nothing wrong with this) so maybe the point is that women don't even have the capability of having empathy. Specially young women.

not true

Thanks guys, nice to see it was so well recieved

>not reading the last paragraph of the second post

I used nigger twice for emphasis you brainlet

Let's not forget how stupid their dad is as well. Empathy in the show is more another form that stupidity can take. The determining factor is more naivete than intelligence.
Or to put it another way: being stupid doesn't necessarily mean you'll show empathy, but it's certainly a prerequisite.

I actually havent

Are there people here who actually browse that unfunny shit hole? Espwcially for Rick and Morty related shit, what a nightmare.

nigger

eh, Im not buying it, I dont think its a message against empathy as much as its a message against morality

most of the times Morty or Summer have done something supposedly empathic they were more preocuppied with defying Rick's perceived immorality rather than by genuine desire to help others and it always backfires on them because they assume too much about the working of alien worlds

Alot of it is just theoretical science. To answer your question, we don't know how accurate... Yet.

about 160% accurate

When all is said and done.
I will show you how very wrong you are.

as accurate as reddit is to fresh feasible memes.

It's an overrated show popularized by nu-males and retards.If it was a video game, it'd be undertale, and if it was a TV show, it'd be big bang theory

reported

>"Reported"
Highly illogical, Rick and Morty is a 5% scientific show, belongs here on Veeky Forums

Zero
Devs are ultra brainlets who couldn't even explain basic time travel
hint: see box