What was your freshman gpa?

What was your freshman gpa?

What's your gpa now?

Other urls found in this thread:

physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6459&sid=6c0705c8634fd3602ff0416b329c5b0f
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>What was your freshman gpa?
>What's your gpa now?

But I'm in a brainlet Liberal Arts program so a GPA below 3.8 is inexcusable.

3.7 or something.

Why are you on Veeky Forums then

4.0 and 2.3

lel. BUT I am interning at a big 4 this summer and have $90k in savings and five published papers (not first author on any tho) so the tradeoff was well worth it. Although I still do feel like shit about it occasionally, especially when I meet really good students

>What's your gpa now?

Feels a little bad that I've gone down but what can I do. And as long as I don't fall below 3.33 I graduate with honors and shit.

I'm trying to escape brainletism by getting back into math (haven't taken a math class since high school) and dabbling into programming.

I really let myself slip after getting an internship

Iktf. After experiencing the real world, school really loses its charm

3.95 (1 B in 4 quarters)

3.76 in masters' program

it's stupid how all throughout my freshman year I was told how important my gpa was to get into an internship and eventually a career.
businesses don't give a flying fuck how well you did in real analysis or ochem. they want to see applicable experience in the field and someone who will get shit done.

It's the school's attempt at making themselves relevant. My best friend has interned at amazon, google, and a thinking ape, and he has a

>tfw I had no work experience and still got 70k starting
I did have research experience though

>70k starting
Wtf are you selling drugs?

No, I got hired by a semiconductor company.

thats actually on the low end for a semiconductor company. 85-100k$ starting is not unheard of.

silicon forest ftw

I know, but I had no experience so I wasn't that surprised by the lower salary. I'll probably just leave after a year or two to go get my PhD. I just wanted to have a job lined up so that if I didn't get in to a top 10 school for physics then it wouldn't be the end of the world.

i'd stick around for a bit and see if they'd foot the bill for your education. good people are hard to find in this industry and you'd be surprised at the lengths they go to take care of top notch guys.

It's not that likely, since my research interest is in a different area. I'm more interested in CMT. I should also get some benefit from Dolan's immigration restrictions in upcoming cycles, hopefully.

>It's not that likely
like i said, you'd be surprised. talk to your boss after you have a curriculum planned out.

the whole "muh pajeets and chinks takin' muh jerbs" is a meme.

Wouldn't it make people less likely to apply for US schools if it would be harder to get visas at the end of it?

I actually have nothing against schools taking international students and don't really buy the "the pajeets and chinks are takin our jerbs" (there really is a lack of QUALIFIED people), but if it benefits me personally then whatever. It's hypocritical but the academic job market is brutal.

Some schools have a minimum GPA requirement of 3.2. There's a chance your application will be rejected without being seen by human eyes.

My masters GPA was like 3.8 and my subject GRE should be over 950 if the practice tests are predictive, so I should be okay on that front. My undergrad GPA was only like 3.5, hopefully I won't be judged too harshly on that.

>Wouldn't it make people less likely to apply for US schools if it would be harder to get visas at the end of it?

no, because the education you are getting really is the best in the world. many of the foreign kids i went to school with went right back to their home country. quality education is an export of the US.

the H1B's are coming from BK Randy schools that are equivalent to ITT tech/DeVry in terms of quality.

Oh my mistake. I thought you were You can check this to see how you stack up

physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6459&sid=6c0705c8634fd3602ff0416b329c5b0f

>CS and Math
>2 B's and 1 A- In all of undergrad
>graduated with ~3.95

4.0 So far in my CSE PhD, not that it matters. But I lose my school fellowship of $5k if it drops below 3.5 so I've got to put a bit of effort into classes sadly.

Thanks, never seen that before. I was lazy on my undergrad final project and a few other courses, so I was worried that I would be treated very harshly based on my undergraduate GPA even though I was successful in graduate courses, since graduate courses are generally "easier". Hopefully my GRE and references would make up for it.

Freshman GPA was 4.0.
Current GPA (third year) is 3.68, may get it up to 3.75 by the end of the semester.
Majoring in geology and applied math.

>tfw you've taken all the courses relevant to your research but you still have to take more

This thread makes me feel like shit.

I'm a junior and my GPA is sitting at 2.6. My semester GPA last spring was < 1.0.

Graphs are more entertaining

How fucking long have you been in school?

>What's your gpa now?
I got a little intimidated attending my nations top institution. The fear of failing resulted in straight A's the first year. Now I don't care that much anymore, but I try to not get any C's.

I graduated with like a 2.97 in Pure Math. 5 years later returned to school and thus far have a 4.0 (CS but pure math focused)

The axis is semesters, not years.

Somebody please tell me there's still hope.

I'm not stupid and I'm not lazy. But I have worked so fucking hard to try to learn how to sit down and keep my head in one place and stick to any kind of schedule. Half the classes I failed I even knew all the fucking material but wrote down the final exam times wrong.

I am No idea if it helps but I made Ds in classes (like chemistry) and Cs in upper level math classes. I knew I was much more intelligent than my grades indicated... Graduated like a 2.97.

I knew what I was really capable of and starting back I've maintained a 4.0 GPA. I'm one of the top students in all of my classes. I'm also stretching myself by studying areas well above my ability level and "catching" up to that level if it makes sense.

I dunno man. I just knew I was able to perform at a top tier level and now I'm proving it. It bothered me for like 5 years until I went back to school.

11 semesters, so 5.5 years? That's 1.5 years longer than normal.

I hope that I can do the same. I got straight A's for the first time last semester but backslid a bit this semester, again just with shitty time management on my part.. like missing assignment deadlines trying to type the entire fucking thing in LaTex instead of just handing in my shitty handwriting.

What made you struggle when you had been in undergrad?

>What made you struggle when you had been in undergrad?

Taking too many courses. Not being able to focus in my math courses. Not reading my math textbooks, expecting to learn everything in the class / expecting to learn from the professor. Relying too much on "study groups" for homework sets (this was mainly due to the pressure of outside courses like chemistry, which I struggled a lot on, gave me much less time to think about math). Come exam time I couldn't prove anything.

I also had/have anxiety disorder and ADHD. My schedule and anxiety got in the way.

Now I am 100% focused. Teach myself everything I know, usually come in the lecture knowing the material before it's taught, and I review each lecture after class. I tutor/help my classmates that need help, which helps me a bit. I also made friends with people several levels above me, and learn a ton from them which pushes me quite ahead of the class. Last exam I took I completely nailed one problem that only 2-4% of the class got completely right.

I'm much more focused now and am actually 'trying'. I made a few As in upper level math classes as an undergrad, but they were the ones I actually applied myself in / wasn't overwhelmed by other courses that semester.

Now I am just focusing on courses that matter and no longer have that distraction.

I know I'm highly capable, and now I'm actually putting forth my best effort.

...Low
3.44. probably graduating around a 3.5

At some point I just started to give a fuck

I feel like I can relate to you a lot. I've just started seeing a counselor, and I'm probably being diagnosed with ADD. I hate saying so and I feel like I'm victimizing myself or shifting the blame, but its difficult not to talk to other people and feel like I'm struggling so hard with basic things or keeping everything in one place where they don't even have to think about it. I didn't want to talk to somebody about it until I went online and saw everything I was thinking and feeling described in ridiculous detail, including the brain-melting anxiety and frustration that comes with pounding your head against a wall that you can't even show other people.

I've started practicing meditation very heavily and its helped me with processing the anxiety and recognizing the behaviors that typically fuck me up, but its hard not to just want to rage-quit out of frustration sometimes.

1.8 as a freshman

3.3 as a senior

I dropped out for about 2 years to get my shit together; it's mostly worked out so far.

in microbiology

upper divs are no joke

>implying that's low in STEM

Sounds like you have what I do. Talking to a counselor / doctor is a good idea. I felt like my issues set me back, but you have to manage them.

>not labelling your axes

So you've been a freshman for 5.5 years?

Yeah. And it definitely already feels more manageable. I feel like my only regret is not recognizing it two years ago.

>implying STEM
>implying I'm referring to my 3.44 as low and not whatever the fuck my freshman GPA was
I'm still in the top 10% of my class for my major (business administration: concentration in marketing) for whatever anti-brainlet points that scores me.

Also I'm not even sure what the BA is even good for considering the concentration is basically your "real" major plus some math courses

implying anyone on this board is actually good at science.

UK equiv:

Then: 4.0 (First)
Now: 3.33-3.67 (Upper Second)

Chem Eng Masters

3.14, 3.35

My GPA was really on the rise, I almost hit 3.7 until I really fucked up last semester. So much useless time spent writing reports for my biochemistry classes really burnt me out. I don't mind scientific writing, but doing 2-3 papers a week is fucking hell man. At least you can retake courses.

Side note: for anyone in grad school in life sciences, what was your cutoff for application?

Started at 3.4, now at 3.8

And I looked it up, my school made me take some reasonably difficult math courses whereas others don't for the same major. Am I able to brag about this on a resume somehow?

3.96 freshman

3.66 now

feeling really burnt out on school, I usually take a full load during summer as well but taking this summer off so I expect much better grades for next fall.

>blogging everywhere
the state of Veeky Forums is really shitty

>five published papers (not first author on any tho) so the tradeoff was well worth it
lel no

1.93 freshman

3.88 last two years

Just got into grad school as well, it all went better than expected

2.6 then, and it's a 2.59 rn

2.8 freshmen year, brought it up to 2.91 last semester and hope to get it over 3 this semester. My work ethic is so awful and I am a pathological procrastinator. I spend all day in bed and I turn in every homework assignment in late. I saw a therapist and he basically told me to make a schedule at the beginning of each week, and I haven't even done that yet. If I don't get my cumulative back up over 3 I lose my 11k presidential scholarship and I don't come back next year. I should probably kill myself. Does anyone have any advice? I'm on adderall but I've built up a tolerance over the years and I now rely on it just to be a normal person.

Use a gun or jump from a building.

Get your shit together, I believe in you

No you don't, faggot

I've been trying to get my shit together for a long ass time and I can't sustain the effort to do well. I just cram for my tests the day of and take my B or C in the class.

>3.94

>3.92, currently in second year

obviously i've got time to either fuck shit up, or get my shit fucked up.

also I blame labs and shittily taught computational physics/chem courses for bringing me down

Elec engi grad, don't know how I made it out alive.

>Freshman
52%

>Graduating
62%

My school doesn't do GPAs, we just get percentages and are told to convert the percentage based on whatever school we're applying to.

I just hated school honestly. I only ever enjoyed project/lab courses and doing assignments, the whole study for exams never jived with me and it shows. Even if I knew everything, exams would always cause me to blank out.

I'm probably a retard too though.

first year: 94/100
Second year (acumulative): 91/100

I guess that would be around 3.9 GPA. I still have 3 years left, i will try to make it higher. I study engineering. I plan on getting an internship next year tho

Went down to 2.9

If midterms are indicative of final I'll be around 3.1 following this. I have two more years. Fucked for gradschool or nah?