Old Thread >>8795814 reached its bump limit. New personality/rationality/IQ thread here

Old Thread reached its bump limit. New personality/rationality/IQ thread here.

>personality/rationality/IQ

First Rationality Question:

A shopkeeper says she has two new baby dogs to show you, but she doesn't know whether they're male, female, or a pair. You tell her that you want only a male, and she telephones the fellow who's giving them a bath. "Is at least one a male?" she asks him. "Yes!" she informs you with a smile. What is the probability that the other one is a male?

Second Rationality Question:

How many 4 digit phone lock combinations contain the number 5?

Suppose you have a job offer with a choice of two annual salaries. One is $30,000 with a $1,000 raise every year. The other is $30,000 with a $300 raise every six months. Which option is best in the long run?

Fourth Rationality Question:

At a dinner party this weekend, a friend introduces you to a woman named Genevieve. He tells you that Genevieve recently graduated from Bryn Mawr College with a B.A. in Philosophy, where she was active in the Occupy movement and edited a literary magazine. You’re interested in talking to Genevieve about Hegel, the subject of her senior thesis, but your friend jumps in and asks you to rank the following statements about Genevieve in order of their probability:

(1) Genevieve is a feminist.
(2) Genevieve is looking for a job as a sanitation worker.
(3) Genevieve is a feminist who is looking for a job as a sanitation worker.

Given what you know about Genevieve, rank the statements from most likely to least likely.

Fifth Rationality Question:

your friend presents you with a deck of cards with a number on one side and a letter on the other. He deals you four cards from the deck. Here is what you see laid out before you on the four cards:

9 J U 2

Your friend then asks you which cards you will need to turn over in order to determine whether the following rule holds for the deck (assuming these four cards represent the rest of the deck):

If a vowel is printed on one side of the card, then an even number is printed on the other side

Which cards do you turn over in order to test this rule?

Sixth Rationality Question:

A bat and ball cost $1.10 in total. The bat costs $1 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

Is the following conclusion logically valid?
Premise 1: All living things need water.
Premise 2: Roses need water.
Therefore, roses are living things.

XYZ virus causes a disease in one in every 1,000 people. A test always correctly indicates if a person is infected. The test has a false-positive rate of five per cent – in other words, the test wrongly indicates that the XYZ virus is present in five per cent of the cases in which the person does not have the virus. What is the probability that an individual testing positive actually has the XYZ virus?

According to a comprehensive study by the U.S. Department of Transportation, a particular German car is eight times more likely than a typical family car to kill the occupants of another car in a crash. The U.S. Department of Transportation is considering recommending a ban on the sale of this German car. Do you think the United States should ban the sale of this car?

TIL Veeky Forums is all brainlets

50%
Second option.
1, 2, 3
U
Five cents
No
0.001%
Yes

wrong
wrong
unknown
correct
wrong
correct
correct
incorrect
unknown

1/3

correct.

Just got 99th percentile on that Mensa quiz floating around. Is it bullshit? I got a pretty unremarkable score on my SAT, so I'm inclined to think so. Otherwise I'm wasting a ton of talent lol.

1 out of 51?

Derp, 3439

50%

3,439? I'm partially asleep.

Option 2.

1 > 3 > 2

U

$0.05

No.

0,02%?

Yes.

The first one is 1/3, I see now.

correct

>3,439? I'm partially asleep.
correct

>U
incorrect

Listening to what some stupid buzzfeed-tier quiz tells you, how very rational and not brainlet-like of you OP.

Waste of time generals into the fuck you for being such a boring tool.

INTJ(-A)/Detective(scores in pic related)/dunno, don't really care

No one thinks we take those literally but you.
In the other thread we doubted their ways quite a lot.
Still, it's fun, and maybe you can discover something about yourself you didn't know.

Personally MBTI introduced me to function theory, that I find pretty interesting more than types and a nice arbitrary way to describe some concepts.

Rationality test didn't really give me anything by itself, but the site itself had other fun stuff to read

IQ tests are BS and lack any meaning as long you get a 100+ score, that makes you not a retard

Jesus fucking christ you're woke. Have you taken first year philosophy or something crazy like that? God fucking damn, I had never considered what you said before. Thank you for keeping me #woke.

Why not U? It's a vowel. If you flip it you'll know whether the rule is true.

You're missing one.

>Rationality test didn't really give me anything by itself, but the site itself had other fun stuff to read
Probabilistic Fallacies/Meaning of evidence and Bayes' Theorem are interesting indeed.

Though I am not sure about the effectiveness of using Bayes' Theorem IRL

They want you to ask yourself "How much is more likely for this evidence to appear in my theory than not?" which implies "How much is this evidence likely to appear by itself?" and "How much is this event likely to appear by itself"
And then "How much is likely for this evidence to appear in another theory instead?" until you don't find the likeliest correlation

33℅

You fucking idiot. How can you have that many combinations in a phone lock when the maximum is 10^4 = 100000? Fucking brainlet

Why is option 2 better? We inc. 600 per yr instead of 1k??

2? I don't think that would be the case, provided that the question is whether all vowels have even numbers on the other side, not the other way around.

Do the math. With option 2, after 2 years you'll get an average of 10500, whereas with option 1 you'll get 5250.

>MBTI
Ah yes, the horoscopes for pseudointellectual brainlets.

9 and U I think, because if there is a vowel on the side of 9, the rule is horse shit.

correct

Doesn't matter, she already has the male dog I want.
zero, you can't count to 5 with four digits.
Not working for this company
If I care, I'll just ask her.
I'd need to turn over every card in the deck that isn't a non-vowel or even number until I reach a card that doesn't fit the rule or run out of cards, because the assumption of the 4 cards representing the deck has an extremely high likelihood of being wrong.
The bat costs 1 dollar by itself, the ball is free if you also buy the bat, and I live in area that has a total sales tax of 10%.
The conclusion that "Roses are living things" is logically valid because it's true. All steps beforehand aren't important. Presenting to me evidence that fails to prove it's true doesn't make it not logically valid.
We can approach 100% probability by applying the test multiple times.
My opinion doesn't matter, so no, I don't think about it.

Look up definition of the word "validity". What you talk about is soundness
Conclusion "Roses are living things" is sound but not valid given the premises.

ISTJ vermin detected

t. Bog offspring

INTJs BTFO