betterexplained.com/articles/calculus-building-intuition-for-the-derivative/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

for what?

that a hobbyist can learn

>useful
this pretty much ends at calculus
unless you know something that I don't

>calculus
do i require any other knowledge beside arithmethics to start learning calculus?

Basic algebra, like how to simplify an equation, other than that, i guess you're good to go

Analysis is pretty useful. It's a shame schools use this class to do intro to proofs.

are you stupid? what about nonlinear partial differential equations? you can't solve that shit with just calculus, yet if you were to solve most of them you would end up wtih a fuckig nobel prize. the only millenium prize problem solved was through the use of a sobolev space, a tool to solve NPDEs which pearleman interpreted the question as.

Solving an NPDE could make a better fusion reactor, it could mean better aerodynamics on planes, it could mean better microcontrollers, it could mean stronger metals, higher temperature superconductors.

to understand NPDEs is the most useful maths. this is fact. calculus deals with smooth, well behaved systems and equations. the world is not like that. there are so many nasty nonlinear things that we just instinctively look for order. what we must do is harness the nonlinear.

for that, i'd say the tools for such a thing range from bifurcation theory to spectral theory. learn those OP. if you do you might end up making big contributions.

average brainlet couldnt self teach themself PDEs and have it be
>useful

linear algebra
statistics
discrete math

Veeky Forums will make fun of you for studying "easy CS math", but they won't say the maths aren't useful

t.person who doesn't know shit about NPDEs and thinks PDEs will be anything more than just ideals that are never achieved, wheras NPDEs actually describe systems taking into account non-conservative and stochastic components in nature.

pic related imma beat you up

what's the best book for learning about PDEs?

Analysis
Linear Algebra
Differential equations
Numerics

These are the topics which most often come up in engineering applications.

>this pretty much ends at calculus
Considering that the whole world runs on Numerical Linear algebra and partial/ordinary differential equations I think you are wrong.

Linear Algebra can properly explain pretty much all physical processes as well as many mathematical constructs

This.
And trigonometry.

>NPDEs
What does NPDE stand for?
N+PDE but the N?

nonlinear. it's there in the first paragraph

>nonlinear. it's there in the first paragraph
The topic is so vast there's no point.
Just solve them numerically.

Algebra and trig are recommended

In the context of social interaction and behavioral calculations when it comes to buying your first car then 'man maths' are overwhelmingly the most important mathematics for an 18 year old male.

The correct answer in their case wouldn't be the logical one, it would still be the right answer though as that'd be what they wanted just right then.

this b theoretical maths thread?

Statistics

start with the greeks

Nonlinear PDEs is a very very broad category and there is no single area of math that helps understand all of it. Asking someone to learn to solve NLPDEs is like asking someone to solve quantum gravity or a millennium problem, sure, we would if we could.

Just about any math you can learn has been useful for either physics or computer science at some point. The most useful basic things are calculus and linear algebra.

most useful for your average joe?
statistics

most useful for your average joe who wants to solve problems that they think up involving household objects that spring leaks?
differential+integral calculus

"why do i have to learn this i will never use this past highschool/college"
algebra past single variables. there is rarely a part in your life that you would be able to recognize when to use multivariable algebra without already knowing vastly higher planes of mathematics.

regular pleb needs to know arithmetic and remedial statistics/how to read a graph

Youre an idiot. Imagine if you didnt have calculus and solved every function numerically. Protip you cant

trigonometry is a must

Statistics, PDE, Probability, Computational Algebra

Give me 3 nonlinear equations that you can solve without using linearizing techniques.

arithmetic is by far the most useful outside of science, mathematics, engineering etcetera.

All these brainlet in here.
The most useful is probability and statistics.
Its common sense of maths.

more like uncommon sense

>>most useful for your average joe?
>>statistics
Can you explain me why please?

Basically these plus stats. Numerics being the most important.

Sometimes calculus is more algebra than calculus. As long as you know how to factor, understand the unit circle, know the quadratic formula, and are comfortable with logarithms, you won't really find anything too difficult.

Spherical Trigonometry

They dont look at the stars anymore. If they did, they would know they disappear around 73,000 ft

Calculus 1, Derivative Formulas

1/?

Calculus 1, Integration Formulas

2/?

Calculus 1, Common Limits

3/?

Basic Algebra

4/?

Basic Trigonometry (Unit Circle)

5/?

Logarithm Formulas

6/?

Common Geometry Formulas
Final one.

Start doing doing calculus problems, and simplify everything the best that you can. Anything you're unsure of, consult the formula sheets above.

Why would you post these instead of just telling him that e^ia=cos(a)+isin(a) and d/dx e^f(x) = f'(x)e^f(x)
You fucking asians overcomplicate everything

physics

IUTeich

what's a derivative?

please leave

nice, good energy

betterexplained.com/articles/calculus-building-intuition-for-the-derivative/

A derivative is the rate of change of a function. Or, the slope of a function at a given point.

if y = mx+b
y' = m

if y = sin(x)
y' = cos(x)

Seriously, though, I recommend just going to khan academy, and working through the Calculus and Pre-Cal sections. Doing and studying will teach you a lot more than anyone here can.

the way these are written suggest that this person doesn't understand derivatives, integrals, or functions

logic