Is majoring in math a meme? I just want a nice comfy job making $70k+/yr while doing some form of maths as my job

Is majoring in math a meme? I just want a nice comfy job making $70k+/yr while doing some form of maths as my job.

I'll give you a fiver for you boipucci

Kill yourself. You're the meme.

Do CS

statistic is ,as always ,the answer

>Implying you're magically employable once you have a degree

You realise earning money involves you trying to earn money. If you want to earn money go and work hard. You're leisure time is for hobbies.

Join an old established tech company like IBM as a business analysts. It will have nothing to do with pure math, and requires no special skills. You'll get paid in that range (maybe 60-70k) and can do math when you are off work

Proability, Statistics, Linear Programming, Operational Research and Combinatorics.
Put these in your resume and you are now working for top notch banking and financial company. Way more than CS majors.

Unironically this

>comfy
you're literally a faggot.

how's community college treating you guys?

Get a PhD in math
>300k starting
>any job you want

pretty shite but it's cheap and they have a finishing program with a much better school

majoring in math as for "Mathematics major" known as pure math?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no.

But everything else will give you a job though, OR,Stats,App Math, Applied Science, Math/Econ and Math/CS.

Don't go for the pure math major unless you love being a leech to your parents when you didn't got into the PhD, OP.

Also the normal CS major could give you that salary and comfy job with the cost of programming all day.

Is it really that big of a joke to go into pure math?

Well, to be really honest the only jobs you could do with an undergrad pure math major is either teaching or programming if you got at least one course in programming.

Also there is those jobs @ NSA but Veeky Forums is somewhat related to /g/ in terms of privacy so that's a no no.

Since pretty much like Physics, you would need a PhD in order to have a nice salary with a comfy job, normally called as "Mathematician with that 110k salary"

I wouldn't recommend to anybody to pursue that major, since if you loved math in highschool, the right way to get into math is the Applied Math path since in highschool and under you're most likely are learning math for applying it in real life and not for just because it's math.

Also Common Core was made by these pure mathfags let me tell ya.
Math/Education didn't do this.

But anyway, in a few words: you could do it but get the PhD if you hate kids and the NSA.

mechanical or civil engineering design. Get a masters degree. You'll do math in an office making that kind of money all day. Bonus points for auto-cad skills and programing language proficiencies. You may also be called upon to write professional reports with recommendations to implement the designs you calculated, so good writing/communication skills is also a must.

I'm a year away from finishing my bachelors, I still prefer doing math for the sake of it.
Is it a pipe dream to want to be an academic mathematician to continue enjoying my autistic hobby?

You want to be a professor or something?

You're going to have to be one of the best mathematicians in the world.

>Is it a pipe dream to want to be an academic mathematician to continue enjoying my autistic hobby?
Nah, can be done easily for you, you could be the next big mathematician of our time but better get those fundings on your post-doc just in case.

You really gotta show that interest of yours in the PhD though, they don't want fags that are doing it for the money but for the interest.

>Is it a pipe dream to want to be an academic mathematician to continue enjoying my autistic hobby?

absolutely not! Assuming you're okay with the following conditions.

1) accept the high probability that you will never find a professional full time private sector position using your degree.
2) accept the high probability of being one of people with your major that end up teaching or worse, are forced to get work as a coffee maker or similar.

I liked math too, but unless your genius level you have to aim for a marketable career that capitalizes on your math skills but isn't completely focused on them.

I'm willing to accept unemployment, I already registered in my local school district as a sub.
If I wanted money I would do blue-collar work or go for a stats concentration
Don't see why I would have to be that good, some of my professors don't even know what a conjugate is (then again he was a teaching concentration phd)

>I already registered in my local school district as a sub.
heck yeah, good going. Got that foot in the door for the full time high-school pre-calc teacher job as a fall back plan if dream job doesn't happen.

>If I wanted money I would do blue-collar work or go for a stats concentration
You still need money to eat and live somewhere senpai.

But you're going to make it for sure, you're really into it so, I think you got this.

If you're just after a job engineering is better. Unless you're a genius and can get an advanced degree e.g. PhD from a top university

That is not nearly enough. You would also need something of the sort of:
> Stochastic calculus
> Computational methods (this is tricky since it is mostly for engineers)
> PDE (Black-Scholes and similars)
> Maybe Fourier analysis (depending if you want to go into recursion models)

But you would also need some kind of experience with the topic, so make sure to find an internship before you graduate. Finding a job is way more important than just good grades.

holy moly

It's not like prospective employers care about degrees. Just explain that you're an autodidact

Major in statistics
Become an actuary
You make good money and do math for a living

Lrn2meme fgt pls

>Proability, Statistics, Linear Programming, Operational Research

Sorry, IE and CS take all those jobs, math majors can still work at Subway tho

This.

Friend of mine graduated in applied math and is now actuary and loving it.

He's making good dosh while still occasionally being concerned with math problems.

so if pure math leads to no jobs at all what should i do. im not smart enough to be a professor

feels good to have a degree that involves all of this + advance prob and stats

Aim higher than 70k, go into software/web/network shit, where you will be a god amongst normies.

mathematical-economics/finance have all of these

I've been lied my whole (academic) life, I always thought that finding a job as a teacher would be easy, because it was for my teachers.

I now realize, most of the teachers at my uni ('s math school) were students from the first generations, and they were offered jobs when they finished (some even as students) because they needed more teachers.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with my life.

people who aren't dumbasses generally study pure mathematics (only a not-so-bright person wouldn't. I mean, holy fucking hell. there's not a single thing as pure as mathematics).

Also, it's called pure for a reason.

"pure" is just another word for "better".