Common Core

Can you amerifags explain to me why you've moved your schools to common core? I'm from South Korea and have looked at common core math problems and couldn't believe how complex all these common core problem-solving "strategies" are. Absolute madness. What takes us only a handful of steps in ROK, that can be done in your head, takes dozen steps in common core math. Absolute madness.

Why are americans doing this?

Other urls found in this thread:

isteve.blogspot.ca/2013/12/overall-pisa-rankings-include-america.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Singapore does it that way

There is no such thing as "common core math problems" dumb gook.

America's decision to push "common core" will drown dumb kids and poison smart ones, which will eventually kill the country.

Why I know that? Brazil did that decades ago.

Common core is not a book or a set of questions. It's literally just a mandate that schools follow, the teachers and publishers are still responsible for the questions and tests.

> the picture that killed the burger

So that women and blacks can pass basic math classes

unphotoshopped pic here

because America is wealthy. We spend a lot of money on schools, because we have more money than we need and could object to spending money on schools?

Since we are spending more money than we need to, teachers get a higher salary than their skills are worth because :

>We have a higher demand for teachers
>Unions and the security of government jobs
>The people who run the schools are not as autistic (intelligent) as you and I, and value things like "Intra-personal communications," "speech," "art..." This is allowed to happen because they have the money to do so.

So basically the government is saturating the schools with way too much money

Let's face it. The country has been slowly slipping for the last few decades and we can no longer rely on the most important factor in a child's education: their parents. Parents no longer care about education, and I'm sure this stuff is just an effort to try to mitigate that. In fact, if a child is not doing well, parents not blame teachers instead of themselves and their kids.

why is it dead-last among OECD countries in math?

>Can you amerifags explain to me why you've moved your schools to common core?

Because there are 40-year-old cat ladies EVERYWHERE in education. These are middle-class urbanites of average intelligence who think that the way to look smart is to use more syllables than necessary when explaining something, or otherwise complicate what should be simple.

because we fund (((arts)))

fat fuck americans will choose art over doing math any day

You mean sports. Sports has taken over our colleges, and is now ruining our high schools too. Americans will choose football over math any day.

sports as well

I wonder how American school/collegiate sports compare to Asian/European

That one's shopped too.

Sports bring big money for universities and colleges. TV rights alone are huge.

Not American but common core isn't anything specific. It's basically making learning Mathematics less about rote memorisation and more about developing the mentality and techniques conducive to Mathematics.

Memorising shit for a test doesn't mean you're good at Mathematics.

America is currently hacked...
Americans know it, but they stopped giving a fuck because we are being fed poison and breathing poison. The rich are killing us and replacing us with more active dumbshit fags called mellenials or assholes or fagget hipsters. MGTOW genocide.

common core is not the textbooks or the problems

common core is the curriculum, the guidelines for what skills someone should have at what age

the textbooks are the implementation of the curriculum

it's not common core's fault that everyone is jumping on the textbook writing bandwagon and shitting out garbage textbooks that they can sell to school districts so they meet common core requirements

only a small handful of universities in the country actually make enough money off their sports programs that they can push money back to the university. the vast majority of university sports programs either break even or are in the red, because they use the profits from the one or two revenue generating sports to fund all the other sports the university participates in.

most of those universities have shit like soccer and wrestling and swimming and tennis, and those teams fly all over the country just like the football/basketball teams do. the difference is, their events are free to watch because nobody gives a shit about most university sports except the families of the people participating. it still costs money to maintain the team and their equipment and their travel costs, though. that money comes from the big revenue generating sports.

isteve.blogspot.ca/2013/12/overall-pisa-rankings-include-america.html

>each race in America appears to average a little better than their racial cousins overseas.

It's basically just lots of blacks/mexicans bringing the averages down.

This, my high school wasted MILLIONS on a fucking football stadium and let the science department rot.

We are entering into our decline phase.

I know it's been done a million times, but I have to reference Rome because im a Veeky Forums fag.

>Romans switch from father teaching son, to Roman public education, to Greek Slaves teaching public education(who changed rhetoric from being practical to ideological), to private tutor education (because public was now worthless) to the fall of west Rome.

Source:
"Roman Education and Rhetoric." Civilization of the Ancient Mediterranean: Greece and Rome, edited by Michael Grant and Rachel Kitzinger, Scribner's, 1988. World History in Context, link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/BT2357000070/WHIC?u=lith7757&xid=b28af6a6. Accessed 10 Apr. 2017.

The problem with the American school system is not the way it teaches but the core idea behind it all. That now instead of teaching you useful skills for the outside world, it only is suppose to prep you to go to college, to study a S.T.E.M. or art field.

If you want to be a handyman, or a salesman,or a garbageman, or a welder, or a farmer. or a construction/factory worker, or the majority of common "low skill" jobs that keep the nation going it wastes 12 years of you're life and leaves you with the belief that you are a failure for not forcing yourself to be something you are not.

Both pictures are photoshopped.

Oh boy, another politics thread

I'm 18, in highschool, american, and interested in aerospace engineering. Is the education system really going to fuck me over?

Top asian countries spend 14-18 hours a day on school, including weekends.

Their focus is on rote memorization and test taking in order to have the highest score on these charts.

After primary school they have night school where they do more homework and memorize more information.

After night school they do homework at home.

All for an extra 50 points on these graphs compared to countries like finland who have no homework and short school days.

Why are asians so inferior? They have literally the worst education mentality. Are they literally robots/autists?

There's a fucking billion of them.
School is for raising kids moreso than just educating them.

I don't understand how anyone still falls for the homework meme.
>lets waste the time of both students AND teachers on something that has been proven to produce statistically insignificant results

>Their focus is on rote memorization and test taking
That's why.

This is enlightening. I don't know why it never occurred to me that the large number of shitskins was what was actually bringing the scores down in America.

That's what happens when you have a country that is actually 50 different countries.

>Are they literally robots/autists?
What about American schools and American education? If Asian schools produce robots, what do American ones produce? I'm really curious...

>The prevalence and importance of college athletics might represent the biggest disparity between European and American college life. While American students place a premium on the omnipresence of tailgating and packed college stadiums, university athletics in Europe are more of an amateur affair as opposed to four-year grooming for the professional level.
>According to Nora Grosber, a basketball player at Swansea University in Wales, European universities do not focus on athletics to the same extent that American schools do.
>“The level of play is not elite like in America; rather [athletics are] open to all, though there are some exceptionally talented players too,” Grosber says. “We never offer scholarships or anything based on sports. This is quite a shame for Europe and struck me as the biggest difference when I was applying to a Canadian university as they straight away told me that I need to play at an elite level to even come to the tryouts.”
>There is truly no international equivalent to the NCAA. This may be due to Europe’s seeming indifference toward college athletics, but also a result of the popularity of soccer throughout the continent. Major soccer clubs like Chelsea, FC Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich don’t fill their rosters with players drawn from universities like American NFL and NBA teams do. These organizations develop talent from a young age at their own academies.
>College play just isn’t a pathway to the professional game in Europe, so the idea of tailgating sporting events or joining 50,000 student fans to shout “Roll Tide,” “Go Blue” or “Harvard Sucks” simply isn’t something that European undergrads will ever experience.

tl;dr- there's no such thing outside America.

But it IS Common Core's fault that it's curriculum is wildly at odds with what is known about how humans develop cognitively and as such is harming student's ability to learn by presenting ideas "out of order" with how the brain develops.

Pearson must be so glad at how many people have put the blame on the idea of Common Core.

Well said. I'm a maintenance tech in a steel mill and I am routinely met with the perception that my job is "low skill" despite the fact that I have thousands of hours of training in a very technical trade, a college degree, and make an annual salary of ~$90,000 after profit sharing. Am I really so stupid, even though I was able to pull myself out of the lower class and build a career that has had a huge ROI, just because I haven't read Foucault or haven't learned how to solve partial differential equations? Just because I work for a living?

Extremely uneducated kids is what it produces

How so? Do you even know what common core actually says?

Its for teaching heuristics, which separate those who are good at math from those who arnt.