I am literally the stupidest person browsing this board regularly

I am literally the stupidest person browsing this board regularly..

I don't even know how a negative plus negative becomes a positive. No clue how to multiply and divide fractions, hardly know how to multiply and subtract them.

I lost at elementary school and it's biting me in the ass, studying to become an electronics-technician. With dreams of going for electronics engineering after.

But I am so shit at math it's painful and tears at my fragile soul. Isolating a variable is way out of my reach.. But something I need to learn.

The math books in the wiki are way above my level, and I honestly would gain nothing from reading them at my current level.

Does Veeky Forums have a book for dumb retards such as myself?

Other urls found in this thread:

mathhelp.com/math-placement-test/
youtube.com/watch?v=RU0wScIj36o
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

a negative plus a negative is still a negative:
-3 + -5 = -8

a negative times a negative becomes positive:
-3 x -5 = 15

to multiply fractions, just multiply across:
3 1 3
--- x --- = ---
5 3 15

> a negative plus negative becomes a positive.
It doesn't
A negative multiplied by a negative becomes a positive though

To be honest this stuff is so basic that I think you're beyond help

>Does Veeky Forums have a book
Maybe you should try out watching videos instead? Khan Academy is perfect for brainlets.

At this point, you should try Sesame Street.

Well..

You just proved my point friendos...

I have been using it for a while. But don't even know where to start, I just do the mastery practice most the time!

Already done the Sesame Street, ready to move up in the world.

The only thing bad about you is your attitude, my friend. Everyone has to start somewhere. Get a textbook

Start from the remedial classes and work your way up.. make sure you understand an idea before moving on. Practice each skill many times until you understand it (just work through the textbook).

It's okay bud. Here's your to do list:
- Arithmetic
- Algebra
- Geometry
- Trigonometry

If you're serious about this, it should take you anywhere from 3-6 months to learn. After that, jumping into Cal should be fairly easy.

go to khan academy

check out pic related. you fucking mirin bro?

Good post, user

You can't be as dumb as the flat earth poster OP. Try going through the exercises on this site and finding where you have the most trouble. Make a list of all the areas you're deficient in and find the links and resources on that site to them. It starts at 5th grade math so you should be pretty set if fractions give you trouble.
mathhelp.com/math-placement-test/
Just start slow and make sure you have a solid grounding in the basics before moving on. The Veeky Forums wiki starts at an undergraduate level so it's not very helpful in this case. The good part is you're making an effort to learn so I would recommend staying off Veeky Forums because people here will only make condescending posts and drag you down. The most important part of learning is your attitude toward it. Good luck.

>You can't be as dumb as the flat earth poster OP
What if OP is the flat earth poster, and he made this thread because he realized how retarded he is after getting blasted by all the logic?

(-5)+(-5)=(-10)
(-5)+(5)=(0)
(-5)-(-5)=(-10)
(-5)-(-5)=(0)

don't worry I'm dumber than you

Troll

But if not you should take up carpentry or something, you will never be happy

Take a look at that second last line again, m8 :)

Then Veeky Forums actually did something worthwhile for once

>I don't even know how a negative plus negative becomes a positive.

Few do before analysis and proof. Most people just accept it as a given.

>No clue how to multiply and divide fractions, hardly know how to multiply and subtract them.

Look up stewart calculus review of algebra on google, it's an excellent way to learn the whole subject.

>Does Veeky Forums have a book for dumb retards such as myself

See above recommendations

Mfw I just reAlized I've taken all of calc, diffeq, linear algebra, and am beginning abstract next fall and don't know why a negative times a negative is positive.

Negatives invert addition

a + (-a) = 0

Now

-a + -(-a) = 0

since addition is commutative

-(-a) + -a = 0

Match this equation to the first to get a = -(-a)

Just read chapter 1 of Rudin, young fagling.

your stupid because you're so goddam lazy that you couldn't sit down and tackle down and practice these problems. i was same as your situation but i learnt it over time

oh and also you dont even need a book just go to khan academy

>your stupid
>your

I bet you don't even have an independent proof of why 1 plus 1 equals 2.

wel, ur dum

How is it even possible to function like this? Don't you have to do groceries and make an estimate for the price, or calculate the amount of credit you still have?

wow, today Veeky Forums was a pretty cool guy

Your current condition is the best to learn math. Grab a textbook and work yourself through it.

It's the third line.

keked jealously

>-5 - -5 =-10
>now my interest balance for my loans make sense, man this must be some secret bank math used by the US to fix that trillion dollar debt a few years ago.

It's basically an axiom used to define negatives and addition of negatives.

Had no idea a board on Veeky Forums could be this helpful,
definitely thought I would be ridiculed like no tomorrow!

For what it's worth, thank you for giving me a place to start friendos.

Just google shit and post it here as if you invented it. Bonus points for Wikipedia. Bonus Bonus points for regurgitating what you saw in a shitty documentary.

Just view multiplication by (-1) as rotation by 180 degrees on the number line, then two multiplications (-1)*(-1) rotates 360 degrees (back to 1).

How do we feel about stats?
About to go take my exam senpai.

>Does Veeky Forums have a book for dumb retards such as myself?

I found something that's been helping me tremendously -- youtube videos.

I'm at quite a more advanced level than you in math -- but there should be youtube videos at your level also.

For my level, the youtube author "3Blue1Brown" has some great videos, for example, this one to help explain fractals:

youtube.com/watch?v=RU0wScIj36o

>I don't even know how a negative plus negative becomes a positive.

Well, it's "times", not "plus", but I know what you mean.

For stuff like this, what I have found is that it's best to focus on understanding WHY these things are true -- rather than simply memorizing the facts.

In your case, the reason this is true is because it prevents certain patterns from breaking. Once you see the pattern, and how "neg X neg = neg" breaks the pattern, but "neg X neg = pos" keeps the pattern intact -- then you'll know WHY the rule is true, and I believe that will better help you maintain a long-term understanding of the concept.

It's honestly what I've been doing, and it is somewhat helping.

I have been looking at mathtutordvd videos, and even looked for torrents for the full math course, but problem is that all the torrents I've found with the dude miss pre-algebra, and algebra 1..

Asked in /wsr/ but guess nobody know where to find a torrent that includes it.

aaaa

You forgot about
>learnt

>implying

I did it user!

desu your way of multiplying scares me, I tried your way and ended up with 44 instead of 4,4~

good lad
now calculate (5^2)^3

you'll soon have your 4th grade certification :)

> math for dummies
> two first results

are you even trying ?

(5^2)^3 = (5*5)^3 = 25^3 = 25*25*25 = 15625..

Yis senpai I did it

>No clue how to multiply and divide fractions, hardly know how to multiply and subtract them.

You now know you know less than when you came in.

Plz friendo I ment to write add and subtract.
Was late you see.

>Nobody has suggested suicide

Is something wrong with you guys?

Dont worry. I realised i was in your position about a year ago now.

Retaking GCSE maths now. Understand more than i ever thought i could. Algebra is actually fun!

But i am basically possessed of a half baked genius. I can debate just about anyone, even experts.
>there are faggots reading this right now that dont know the rules of debating or critical thinking and think maths is the only relevant subject.
My imagination and my debating mind seems to have so much space i havent ever found its limitations. But my maths mind seems only to have about the space of a small duffel bag. Hopefully i'll find a way.

If i can, so can you. Sometimes it just takes overcoming a personal crisis to free up brain space ;)

Fuck me I don't even know algebra and I know that. Its the same reason a double negative in Eglish fails. If you have a negative number of negatives, you're saying you don't have any negatives, which means you have a positive.

That is a very comfy way to think about it.

You're not a brainlet, you just need to practice for hours on top of hours until you get good.

Start with the most basic stuff and keep doing all the exercises over and over until they are easy, and work your way up over time. Khan academy is a good resource

As long as you do not give up it is never too late to learn math.

Dividing and multiplying fractions is quickly done. Multiplying is simply done by multiplying the nominators, then multiplying the denominators and then draw a line between them.

Example:

[math] \frac{2}{5} \cdot \frac{7}{3} = \frac{2 \cdot 7}{5 \cdot 3} = \frac{14}{15} [/math]

Now if you want to divide by a fraction all you have to do is turn the fraction around and then multiply.

Maybe some people get tired of posting the same /b/ tier comment for 10+ years and would actually like to have a useful board they enjoy browsing

Commencing my kindergarten mission as I type

I just came.

That was pretty tough, but now I am ready to share my master knowledge