If the university you are attending has lower rank than NTU (ranked 13) and NUS (ranked 12) (basically...

If the university you are attending has lower rank than NTU (ranked 13) and NUS (ranked 12) (basically, gook's "Ivy league" schools, you should consider killing yourself.
topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2016

>MIT
>1st
Pick one.

QS ranking is a joke.

You're a brainlet if you trust these without actually doing real research on the university. It could be bribed by a university to give them a higher ranking.

Based on what criteria though?

research, facility, equipment and education.
Low rank shitter detected.

if ur university does not have a 5 star + rating, you should consider killing yourself

>caring about university ranking instead of curricula and materials provided
>not knowing how to teach yourself with books freely available
>brainlet

>tfw my university isn't even in the top 700

>tfw reject from top ten uni
>tfw still got into lower top ten uni

But in all honesty. University ranking really plays little impact at undergraduate level.

Diminishing difference.
If you look at the top 30 universities (excluding the frauds that are NTU and NUS), they are pretty much the same in most fields. Ranking them is meaningless.

#proudNUSer

Seriously, NTU student here. I don't even fucking believe this shit ranking.
The schools paid a shit lot to get such a high ranking. Other actually prestigious schools like Yale or Berkely do not give a shit because people already know their calibre.

helo am top therty

These rankings are garbage.

MIT 1st? What is this list based only on Mechanical Engineering?

Columbia behind Cornell, JHU, UPenn?

Caltech higher than princeton, yale, columbia?

Carnegie Mellon significantly behind NYU, Northwestern, McGill?

??

MIT is 1st is nothing new. It's like the brain of the US.
Columbia is kinda fall behind in recent years.
I agree with you on the rest though.

MIT has free open courses online. Technically anyone can say it's their school.

Carnegie Mellon is only good at CS. It's mediocre at everything else.

generalised rankings are pretty pointless. Especially if they put Cambridge before Oxford

>tfw 19th

I'm okay with this. That said all world rankings are a just a set of arbitrary criteria with arbitrary weights, so it's all fairly pointless in the end.

My uni's ranking is higher than that of ENS?!?!

that feel when 306

Brainlet
Cambridge here

>top 300
noice

Also number of international faculty, international students, ratio of postgrads to undergrads, citations per faculty (easily gamed through political agreements between colleges).

Basically, a European college that is funded by the govt and tasked with providing a high level of education to students of their own nation would be lower in the rankings than a commercially focused US college trying to extract money from foreign students.

The uni rankings are literally part of the multicultural agenda. And this comes from somebody in a top 100 uni.

Extending this point:

Providing rankings based on the number of international students really works in the favour of countries where domestic students have to pay fees (like the US and the UK). This is shown in the rankings.

In say, Germany, France, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, etc, the state pays full fees for national students. Foreign students have to pay higher fees (Completely rational I think most people would agree). This means that the ranking system is essentially another way of discouraging universal education.

>only top 14
Damn OP now I feel like killing myself

>74th
>top 5 in the UK
Wow step it up bongs

Bitter hans detected. ETH and EPFL which are both European and gov funded (basically free to attend) are in the top 15

That makes zero sense. Why would foreign students not want to go to European schools if they are better and cheaper than American schools?

>not caring about the market value of advanced certificates and degrees
You're the brainlet

>only caring about about the market value of advanced degrees and certificates
Pretty sure youre the brainlet

what else is a degree good for if you can just "teach yourself with books freely available"

rank 40 nigga

>bachelor kiddies think their "muh rank" matters
Get that 300K, son

The fact that people here care about university ratings really empasizes how braindead the average poster here is and how meaningless IQ is for smartness.

University ratings only matter to people who want to do research there and not study. You are like primates jumping on the opportunity to brag with your perceived status without even thinking first if it makes any sense.

You kinda shitfaced yourself
>to do research
Why else would you
1- go to a university
2- be on this board

>I don't do research, I just attend classes because I'm shit
oh

Most people go to get qualified to go into industry, dumb niggers!

>industry
wrong board faggot

If this board was actually mainly frequented by people who study to do research and do research it wouldn't be so shit.

Sorry, but rarely does the industry give a shit what certificate you got. All they want is experience in the field, not how "cool" your Uni was.

how many proper universities are there in the world? By proper I mean not two or three huts in Africa

>mainly
impossible, but there are several of us here, you can see some cool mathfags in threads that actually discuss math from time to time

>usc not even in top 25
>probably not even on the list
Wew lad

It's 136 bro.

That list is s homosexual

It's ok, everyone who is not a math major is homosexual anyway.

Try and get a job at some top flight finance company with that attitude.

>294
at least ill have a job afterwards :^)

Is this the new IQ meme?

Jokes on you senpai, mine is (when I was there) ranked 9 (nine)

how is it possible for ENS and Ecole Polytechnique to have such shitty rankings? imho both of them are top notch

Yep, I don't know why every European uni except for UK's ones have low ranks.

What if I'm out of university?

>tfw Arizona State University

Why do I even go on living?

On the bright side, you're in the world's most highly accredited party school.

Stupid Singaporean get the fuck out of this board now. Go back to r/singapore you scum. Unless you can get into NUS or NTU medicine, you're a brainlet.

What's the point if I'm not going to any parties.

>128
UNAM's deepest flawd are that they accept every single retatd with a passing grade from HS, and so.e faculties are just terrible.

Nah, anyone in NTU and NUS are brainlet, medicine or not.

Fuck you m8.

Well, considering how stupid Europeans are, I trust these rankings.

But Americans are also fucking stupid.

Why is McGill so high? Did they rank it solely on medical school? How in the everloving fuck is it way above UoT, UBC, Waterloo, etc?

tfw uni is 68

t. yurpoor

McGill is unironically the best uni in Canada. Its ranking reflects that.

>89
A-at least we have 5 starts

If you're not in the top 5 universities and/or you post smug anime girls while telling people to kill themselves on anonymous online mongolian cattle-herding outposts you should re-evaluate your choices.

>306
Wew lad

>School is not even indexed
gg

It does for getting into a good grad school

some countries aren't alowed to "have" elite schools by law

>The university i attend is my worth

>My occupation is my worth
>My IQ is my worth
Same deal

We're essentially cattle

i don't think the building in which you learn essentially the same shit is as telling as IQ and occupation
maybe thats just me though, i've always been anti-academia, its a fucking joke

But it is a part of how people evaluate you.
Deal with it.

Why do we 'evaluate' people in the first place?

Damn, USC is only barely better than UCI.

But fifth in the UK is Edinburgh at 19th internationally.

>UCL above Imperial

It's ok, user. I'm right there with you. I'm still assisting a professor with fairly groundbreaking research, though. Don't let the pretentious assholes get to you.

If you have all of the following
>Have good GPA
>Pursuit a hot field
>Having a good advisor/boss
>Is making decent or will make decent money
>Attending a reputable school

Then it is OK for you to not give a shit about the list in OP. However, if you fail at all things, then you can only attribute to the fact that you are in a top school to feel better about yourself.

There are a few ways around that
It's just life
Capitalism works because different people produce different things that are worth different amounts
People need to be evaluated by others so others know what that person is capable of producing
Evaluation from IQ: Problem solving
Evaluation from Occupation: Skills and responsibilities
Evaluation from School: General performance

Ivy league schools serve to recognize with high responsibility, good character and general worth
A well-established institution like Harvard won't put their name on the line for someone unless they feel they're worthy
What does an ivy league school look for?
SAT mainly
The SAT is a good mix of academic material, and intellectual testing
The academic material may only be somewhat related to what you'll do in the school, but shows that you knew what you were supposed to, that takes a decent amount of intelligence
Ivy league schools also like to see what you did beyond high school
Sports are important to maintain a healthy lifestyle, and therefor a healthy mind
Jobs such as retail can show attention to finances and show work ethic
Volunteer work in school or elsewhere, can show interests, experience, and commitment

Attending an Ivy League school is like a really good reference on a resume, it speaks for itself, it says
>this person is intelligent
>this person works efficiently and effectively

It unfortunately makes academia the thing i hate
It seems to make people forget about what you learned
Plenty of great schools out there, but they're not very well known, and therefor don't speak

It has nothing to do with capitalism

i was just making a comparison holy shit
pic related
>you

how so?

In theory imperial should even be above Oxford, but oxfords non-science courses boost it higher

But really. They rank ucl too high. Probably because of the immensely high amount of international students, though brexit might discourage them

Perhaps in the us. But in the uk, no matter if you go to the worst uni, you can still get into Oxbridge, imperial, lse or ucl for a masters/PhD with no regard for your previous university. They care more about your knowledge and passion

>Caring about US News Rankings

>They care more about your knowledge and passion

Eh, they care if you've achieved enough and have a couple of good letters of reference. I don't think they care too much about this "passion" nonsense.

>carrying about market value.
Want to be a classy wage slave? The salary you could get paid with your degree might be valuable to you but it is worthless(as much as your labour is worth) to the brainlets that will be paying you, and to me. Market value isn't any kind of real value, it's abstract and relativistic.
Have fun with being smart enough to carry out advanced work while being too ignorant to question what you are working for. Our education system is fine tuned for turning out complacent and uninformed drones, to even succeed well enough to be accepted into a prestigious college you need to be moderately wealthy aswell as complacent enough to be properly indoctornated by lower education, any Desenters are weeded out.
Can't have informed students questioning authority or the 60's counter-culture will happen again. That's terrible for industry

71. I'd believe it. Such a shit student body. Plus the huge emphasis on meme fields.

Could this ranking be more anglocentric?
Lmaoing at 19 and 22 position

>tfw 2
Kek

Stanford students lurk Veeky Forums?
I don't believe it.

>Salty Europoor

Kek. Anglo master race.

Years back there was a guy from Cambridge, it wouldn't surprise me.

Unrelated question, is it usually easier to get a PhD scholarship than undergrad in US?Canada?

Not like anyone here would know user because most people are just engineers.