>independent work
>able to work right after a B.S.

what's the problem?

>45k
>mindless work

Probably that

>45k starting for mindless work

sounds like a steal

I don't know about you, but I'd muuuch rather non-mindless work even at the same wage.

This is assuming it's also not paired with significantly increased stress.

Shut up tech. Did you fix the mass spec yet?

As long as I'm occupied so time goes by and the cash comes in I'm fine

Not yet, gonna get my B.S. this summer and apply though

it's a dead end job. same thing with field engineers. the starting pay is good, but there's little room for advancement.

i've interviewed for a field engineer job and those fuckers worked as field engineers for decades.

Ya I don't plan on staying as one for a while but it seems like a high tier 1-2 gap year job after graduation

> same thing with field engineers.
uhh what?
Good engineers usually get into project management and great engineers ending up selling their start up and starting a space ship company.

no, they don't. during the interview process i talked with both the field engineers, and the managers (directors i think were the official titles.) one of the managers came from an entirely different company, and the other just changed departments, but they were always involved in management.

all the field engineers pretty much worked as field engineers until retirement. there is seniority at play with the field engineers, and they do specialize which also effected their pay, but ultimately they were still field engineers.

then how does one become a project manager? what are the requirements for such shit if you can't even as an engineer?

maybe he's just talking field engineers

My father worked as an engineer, then project manager, then director, and almost VP til a larger company ate his and fired everyone lol

>be lab tech
>friends and family think i'm a scientist
>just wash glassware with acetone all day

really puts the T in STEM m8

you should dump some of the acetone down the drain, then wait a little, and then light it on fire. it's pretty amusing.

do you not do PCR, electrophoresis, media preperation, etc?

My step-mom is a lab tech w/ a BSc in Chemistry. She said I could probably get a job where she works when I get my associates. It's just hydrogen peroxide manufacturing for Mitsubishi Gas Chemical Company. It's not really what I want to do, but a job is a job, and at least I'll be able to gain work experience in a lab setting.

However, I am more interested in biochemistry, genetics, and nanoscience. Do you guys think being a lab tech, not working with any biology for 2-4 years while i'm going to college will cuck me out of jobs in the future?

why settle for that?
thats my only problem

>However, I am more interested in biochemistry, genetics, and nanoscience. Do you guys think being a lab tech, not working with any biology for 2-4 years while i'm going to college will cuck me out of jobs in the future?
I don't think so, but what do I know. If you want relevant career advice go to r/biology or something similar

It might actually help you because you'd have recommendations and at least 2 years experience in the field (even if it is doing bullshit).

It also doesn't hurt to pay off debt.

I don't see the problem with this desu, people constantly bag on it but having a mindless job that's entry level but also 45k is amazing. You can pay off your debt from college, not stress about work, and have a life outside of it. Then you can have a career a few years after settling undergrad debts in a stress free way. It's way better than minimum wage.

I've been working at a lab over the summer the past few summers I've been in college and it's honestly so great to be making money while also having a life outside of work. The only problem is the hours, but it makes bank.

Go into genetics. I work at Duke University making 50k a year after graduating, and this morning I put three things in an incubator and watched The Fellowship of the Ring.

I'm a microbio major with research background in molecular/genetics, I know how much downtime there is in labs. Especially when you put microbes into the fray

k starting with benefits
LMFAO

Plenty of openings for that here in SoCal

In my experience, you need:
- A degree in engineering
- Substandard skills in engineering
- A vagina

>starting
>45k
lol you'll be lucky to get 35

PM here, getting a PMP takes some experience (i think around 3 years) and there is a lower level called CaPM, think they both are through PMI

it's really hard to get into project management unless you have been in the company awhile and made the connections. it takes a certain mindset similiar to those who make sales. in my opinion it is best handled by those with engineering/technical experience rather than business types of people (for the projects I have worked on)

Basically be able to solve problems and work with a lot of different people/groups of people