We can live in a Science Fiction Novel. Today

Tesla conceived of a system of rail transportation in space, free from air resistance. The Orbital Ring that he conceived of can be built today, with existing technology. In addition to terrestrial transportation, the Orbital Ring would drastically reduce the cost of sending payloads to space, from $2000/kg to $1/kg.

This would enable your childhood dreams to become real. Terraforming and colonies on the Moon and Mars. Middle class families could take vacations on another planet. An end to climate change through space-based solar power. The project would pay for itself many times over by mining asteroids, and selling space-based solar power to the world.

We can do it. Today.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_ring

orionsarm.com/fm_store/OrbitalRings-I.pdf

orionsarm.com/fm_store/OrbitalRings-II.pdf

orionsarm.com/fm_store/OrbitalRings-III.pdf

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-based_solar_power

Other urls found in this thread:

newscientist.com/article/dn16223-space-elevator-trips-could-be-agonisingly-slow/
ca.linkedin.com/in/stephen-cohen-857b3024
mcgill.ca/mecheng/facultystaff/staff/arunmisra
dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1466861
web.archive.org/web/20120116134510/http://www.paulbirch.net/OrbitalRings-I.pdf
wseas.us/e-library/transactions/mathematics/2008/Ultra-long.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_ring
globalnews.ca/news/1905243/road-trip-from-the-u-k-to-nyc-russia-proposes-intercontinental-highway/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Pretty sure a faggoty space train won't do anything you stated.

Also obsession with trains is a sign of autism. Your mom should take you to get checked

Retarded because absolutely not needed for centuries. And i'm not even talking about feasibility.

>Pretty sure a faggoty space train won't do anything you stated.

Was there anything specific you wanted to discuss? Or just having a troll?

Literally all wrong.

>Tesla
And stupid

I explained how it would pay for itself quite quickly. Do you hate money and prosperity?

Considering you made this thread on pol and here I'd say you definitely have autism.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Veeky Forums will always hate Tesla because he's everything they wish they could be but know they never will.

A space elevator is better in every way

>implying all of Veeky Forums doesn't have autism

You are a retard is what i'm saying. It would never justify the cost no matter what.

>Orbital Ring

Oh it is this user again.

It can't be done, user. We told you why in the last thread. Go where you belong:

>Literally all wrong.

Thanks for sharing.

I'd have to agree with you, literally and figuratively.

>sci/ will always hate Tesla because he's everything they wish they could be but know they never will.

It will happen. Soon.

We can't build the Space Elevator to geosynchronous until we get much longer nanotubes or graphene. And it would be really fucking expensive.

>It would never justify the cost no matter what.

Go ahead and refute the points I already posted explaining how it would pay for itself quickly, and we can have a discussion. Otherwise, killself.

>We told you why in the last thread.

There hasn't been a single thread where that's happened. But I'm sure you'll share your logical argument with some facts.

>There hasn't been a single thread where that's happened.

Except the entire thread told you to fuck off and why. You denied everything and now you deny the thread even existed.

OP, you are special kind of special.

Veeky Forums would never get behind this. They only care about calling people brainlets on the internet, not actually trying to use science to benefit people.

>we can do it if we have technology that will never exist
>refute me

Seriously though, if this could be done I'd be all for it.

OP you shit for brains, get that railway out of my construction site.

SPACE MOUNTAIN COMING THROUGH

I won't bother because you're an autistic cunt and no matter how many metric cubes of fucking proof anybody would throw at your retard face, you'd ignore them and keep on posting the same dumb shit very fucking day.
You're on par with flat earthers and moon landing deniers : you don't give 2 shits about science or facts, you just have blind faith in your fucking opinions.

Go choke on dicks and die, make your parents proud for once.

>Except the entire thread told you to fuck off and why.

That didn't happen either. It would be good to put that imagination to work writing science fiction novels, which we will be living in soon.

>OP, you are special kind of special.

That's... that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me.

>15 day ride on space elevator to reach a space railway to take a 10 min train ride to another country
>not just taking a redeye flight on earth

Well, the shills that don't want us to overthrow the banking cabal are certainly out in force. Can't wake up the cattle...

>"I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DEFEAT SCIENCE!"

this desu

I've literally never seen this thread before. What the fuck are you on about with the "same dumb shit every fucking day" you salty bastard.

>15 day ride on space elevator to reach a space railway to take a 10 min train ride to another country

It helps if you don't make things up. Did you read anything that was provided?

Shills.

>It helps if you don't make things up.

newscientist.com/article/dn16223-space-elevator-trips-could-be-agonisingly-slow/

There's a new thread about this many times a day in many different boards, it may not be the same guy but it's the same type of fucking faggot who think it's "that simple" to blow out some calc.exe magic about the potential gorillions of dosh we can get by oh so simply "catch" a fucking millions of tons rock in space.

>implying women understand science

>women

ca.linkedin.com/in/stephen-cohen-857b3024
mcgill.ca/mecheng/facultystaff/staff/arunmisra

What women? Did you read anything that was provided?

Can you go higher?

The elevator would go much faster than that. Probably accelerating at 2-3gs.

Entirely accurate.

Kek.

>Did you read anything that was provided?

Reading citations? On Veeky Forums? We couldn't even have this thread if everyone did that.

Stop trying to kill the thread, shill.

>The elevator would go much faster than that. Probably accelerating at 2-3gs.

>we can do it if we have technology that will never exist
>refute me

DELET

Science journals don't exist! Argue with cat pictures!

MUST CONTAIN THE DAMAGE!

You need space elevators to use a space ring or it will be useless.

We don't have the tech to make space elevators. It doesn't matter how long you "want" your graphene nanotubes. You can't have what doesn't/can't exist.

Good luck with standing waves on a space ring when your space elevator comes up at 2-3gs.B

>You need space elevators to use a space ring or it will be useless.

It is a space elevator. Specifically, an orbital ring space elevator.

>We don't have the tech to make space elevators. It doesn't matter how long you "want" your graphene nanotubes. You can't have what doesn't/can't exist.

The tethers are much shorter. That's the point of this design. It can be built today.

@8822853

You ignored everything that user posted. And even refused to address his points.

You are just memeing and / or dont have any idea of what you are talking about.

Here have a pseudo (You)

>You ignored everything that user posted. And even refused to address his points.

There is a tether. It goes to space. From the earth.

>You are just memeing

Yep.

>and / or dont have any idea of what you are talking about.

Entirely possible.

>It can be built today.
the point is FUCKING NO.

Oh, good. Glad you cleared that up.

Good, now fuck off.

Did you have anything to say about the OP, or anything else of substance? Or do you need to be banned?

this is not your mom's facebook page, nigger.

Flawless logic.

people in ancient rome lived in caveman science fiction

"we live in science fiction TODAY" is such a stupid comment

So how do we deploy the ring around the earth? Oh wait we can't, large space tethers are unstable.

Oh and stability has not been demonstrated for large perturbations for the discrete skyhook case.

We CAN live in a science fiction novel today. But only if we have the will.

>Oh wait we can't, large space tethers are unstable

That's why you need the ring. It provides the tension to stabilize the tether.

>Oh and stability has not been demonstrated for large perturbations for the discrete skyhook case.

When you just throw together the biggest words you know without connecting it to the matter being discussed, or some scientific concept that can be verified by others, it makes reasoned discussion difficult.

Large space tethers have been shown to be unstable.
dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1466861

The ring during deployment around the earth is basically the same as one of these large tethers. So uh how do you get the ring into place in spite of being unstable? That's a pretty goddamn big issue to actually building one of these things.

I'm referring to this paper: web.archive.org/web/20120116134510/http://www.paulbirch.net/OrbitalRings-I.pdf
Section 6.3, stability was only demonstrated for small perturbations.

>dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1466861

It doesn't have the full text. What's the length on these?

Smaller than a partial ring around the earth

>wseas.us/e-library/transactions/mathematics/2008/Ultra-long.pdf

Oh, the ring isn't tethers. It's a dynamic structure. The only tethers are 300km going down to earth.

Yes, but HOW DO YOU DEPLOY THE RING? An unrolling spool of cable going around the earth in orbit is basically a tether. If the ring breaks it turns into a tether.

>Yes, but HOW DO YOU DEPLOY THE RING?

IIRC you build the stations for the tethers, the send the material for the ring up on rockets, then hang the tether down.

thanks for the post dude
i almost forget how anti-intellectual this place was desu

That doesn't answer the question. The partially deployed ring(a goddamn tether) is UNSTABLE. How do you wrap an UNSTABLE tether around the earth?

The ring is not a tether. A tether tethers things to the ground. It's not a cable, either. It's a dynamic structure.

Hey guess what I got some figures you might want to consider:

-Killing yourself will save the government and taxpayers $3000/day
-Building a space ring gay train would cost every nation in the world 3 trillion dollars per year
-The cost of sending things to space is becoming lower from $2000/kg to $3.50/kg right this second.

Go ahead and refute the points I stated how a gay earth ring would be absolutely inconceivable and we can have a discussion. Otherwise, selfkill.

Also,
>graphene
>nanotubes

Guess how we know you don't know anything

>-Building a space ring gay train would cost every nation in the world 3 trillion dollars per year

Where did you get that number?

You dense motherfucker. The paper here:
Demonstrated that flexible cables, often referred to as tether, are unstable.

Now after the ring is built it may be stable*, but when we are actually building the ring, that is unspooling some flexible whatsit around the earth, it will most certainly not be stable.

We can't just magically *POOF* the ring into existence.

*only proven for small perturbations for the case we could actually build

Now if you really want to make something like this possible then do some goddamn analysis on and publish about it. It'll be far more effective than making youtube videos and posting on Veeky Forums. Hell, even a simple analysis with MODERN MUHTERIALS would probably be enough to publish in AIAA.

Of course, if you really want it to work do some goddamn analysis on the dynamics of these things. Make some nice and pretty simulations that show it's stable and transient effects don't destroy it. You have huge amounts of computing power available at your fimgertips.

Or if you suck dick at math, go build a small scale test version of one of these things.

There's shit that needs to be done before we can even consider building these things and you can do it

Happy Yuri's Day, you godless heathens.
Health and success to us all.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_ring

why can we do this but not a space elevator?

We can't do either one. OP's just been watching/reading/playing too much sci-fi where civilizations have orbital rings. He probably think Dyson spheres can be done. All this shit relies on tech we don't already have due to the lack of materials science required. They always hinge on something like "once we figure out how to make kilometers long, super strong, graphene-nanotube cables!" and similar leaps of technology.

OP may as well say, "We can do it when God changes the laws of physics!" for all it matters.

Lumps

So basically a space elevator under a different name?

>mining asteroids
You still have to tether the asteroids, that's not a feat you can obfuscate. I mean lets say you spot a 100kg asteroid you want to mind (I doubt that 100kg will give you much, but whatever). The average asteroid is traveling at [math] \apporx 25 km s^{-1} [/math] so is going to have a kinetic energy on the order of [math] 10^{10} J [/math]. According to WolframAlpha that's equivalent to the energy in 1 gram of U-235, so it's not at all trivial to try and stop even a small asteroid.

>would drastically reduce the cost of sending payloads to space, from $2000/kg to $1/kg.

He's using a value of around 300-600 km (lets call it 450km). That's nothing [eqn] \frac { F_{ earth} } { F _{orbit} } \approx \frac { R_{orbit} } { R_{earth} } \approx 6 \times 10^{-3} [/eqn]I really don't see how you'd ever see any tangible benefit from that, since you're effectively working against the same strength field as if you were launching from earth.

This sounds cool, but it's utterly unfeasible.

a space elevator is impossible enough to build on its own. And then building a ring significantly larger in diameter than the planet earth attached to TWO space elevators doesn't exactly make the project more feasible

We can build it with the materials we have today unlike a traditional space elevator because we don't have to tie down a huge mass above geostationary orbit to support the thing

>> working against the same strength field as if launching from earth
So one gets into orbit using this thing by grabbing one of the rings using magnets, which is spinning at faster than orbital velocity, and letting go after one is up to speed. It's sort of like a san francisco trolley car on steroids.

Why dont they build space launch pads in the stratosphere?

Because they're not stupid.

Bump

>try to post the space mountain image
>someone already has

I told you this shit was impossible on /pol/ the other day. You fucking piece of shit. This is the hyperloop but exponentially more expensive and stupid. Want fast intercontinental flight? Bring back commercial super sonic flight. We haven't built an intercontinental highway and we sure as shit won't be building meme rings before that.

Oh it's this thread where the guy insists his ring around the Earth isn't unstable again

globalnews.ca/news/1905243/road-trip-from-the-u-k-to-nyc-russia-proposes-intercontinental-highway/

Mitebcool.

Not sure I like tunnels underwater due to the fact all it takes is one angry Mohammad or angry First Nation harping about muh 40-virgin 12 year olds or muh elk & seals to ruin the trip.

bump

Kill yourself you unremitting faggot.

no

Bump

Think about the regions the orbital ring overlaps. Why bother? You know that as soon as we finish it, savage niggers and Muslims are going to blow it up. It's not a viable solution to space flight if it can't be constrained to the civilized world.

bump