Best STEM Major

So what's the best STEM major and why is it computer science?

Liberal arts

Construction management is the best

CS is cool, just remember you are in the T, not the E

wait wot
CS isn't engineering?!?!? My school has lied to me...

agreed. You'll just be miserable moving every 2 years

Wot about Electrical Engineering

>So what's the best STEM major and why is it computer science?

It isn't, not anymore. Do you have any idea how many people are flooding into the software industry now? There's even bootcamps to train people to be web developers in 18 weeks. The resulting devs are mostly shit but a percentage are getting hired, driving down wages.

On top of that, the next time there's a downturn in the economy all of those developers are going to be looking for jobs and it's going to be hell for everybody, including new CS grads.

But you can do the jobs without a degree. Computer science is a meme and really only useful for people who want to become wants or some shit

>hurr durr physics is cool
>durr engineers are dumb. what faggots
>hurrrrr computer """""""""""""""""science"""""""""""""""
>durrr pajeets
>hurr durr hurr im ok making minimum wage working in a lab all day as a physicist
>durr not everything is about money
>ololololol wagecucks

Ok, that's everything. We can close the thread now.

Applied mathematics
>can pretty much do any job in STEM
>pretty high in the intecruel ladder

> don't even get to call yourself an engineer
> everyone who studies computer science wants to mayke gaymes

nothx

Shut the fuck up, code monkey. You should be brutally murdered for disrespecting physics in favor of computer science.

Why don't more people get into CS to make AI? It's much Cooler than making games.

Another person that thinks a CS degree is web development

I might be naive when I say this, but I think most CS majors on Veeky Forums are just focused on the computational mathematics side of CS, which is in high demand, and short supply. Because it is hard.

I think Chemistry is the best. It's the central science. You can't do biology or even Chemical Engineering without it, and it overlaps a lot with Physics. It's also purely empirical and useful.

desu, the way to go is to do something general un undergrad like math or physics, then go to grad school and specialize in something that looks like it's about to get big.

CS is legit at the graduate levels, not gonna lie, computational theory, advanced algorithms, machine learning, cryptography / block chain, etc. are super interesting

But an undergrad CS means fuck all, the way the degree is designed right now, it's just a degree farm pumping out code monkeys for high-level languages.

A physicist gets minimum wage?

I know one who is homeless.

Agreed.

As an undergrad looking to do one of the above topics in graduate school, isn't a CS degree (even a BA) needed to even get into the grad school?

Whenever someone says "AI" they never mean making a robotic consciousness

they are always talking about some specific system to do some specific task

Because that is a branch of psychology/neuroscience too. Current AI is just applied mathematics (CS). True AI needs the qualitative side of cognition, which has very little to do with CS.

My school has a new major called Computational Engineering, should I enroll in it?

That sounds hilariously close to Computer Engineering. Maybe you'll be able to trick a few employers if you're lucky.

The change in demand is still much greater than the increase in suppy.

Biology.

It's the most fun science.

Why do people always overlook the S? S is king

I agree, Computer SCIENCE and Political SCIENCE should be at the front of the pack!

Computational african studies

lol what do africans have to do with computers

they invented them you white devil

Yes, you need a degree to get into grad school

I'm so sick of the "lol comp science is just writing funny words on da screen that do funny things" meme. And mah scientific method.

Africans invented computers in 2000BC in Egypt and it's about learning their superior methods. Whiteys stole the technology.

Whatever it is, it sure as shit isn't mechanical engineering. About to graduate and still fucking unemployed.

>I wasn't good enough to get a job
>it was the entire field i chose, not me

you're a fucking pussy moron.

Medicine

chemE here m8

chemE came before chemistry , check yourself m8

even the word chemistry comes from chemical engineering.. chemistry>alchemy>alchemical engineering>chemical engineering

all i need to know is some reaction rate constants who cares whats actually happening in there

>Another person that thinks a CS degree is web development

Another undergrad who hasn't ever looked on any of the job boards yet. LMAO. 90% of the listings either say they're looking for either front-end, back-end, or full stack web devs. Jobs where you actually have to use your CS degree are damned rare and have tough competition to get them.

Yes, you could get a CS Ph.D but I've seen a number of Ph.Ds that weren't able to find research jobs, academic or corporate, wind up as ordinary developers.