I don't understand music

I don't understand music.

Why are certain notes and tones appealing to us, while others are not?

What about their cadence feel rhythmical to us? Why do our brains find a pattern in them?

Do animals also hear this or is the music just random scattered notes with no flow to it for them? Certainly I don't feel as if birds have any great music, where the occasional pleasant birdsong feels more like it chanced upon an aurally aesthetic cadence rather than was made to be the way it is.

If aliens heard the music we put on the Voyager, would it hold any beauty for them at all?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=cyW5z-M2yzw
youtube.com/watch?v=nEhTkF3eG8Q
youtu.be/-rSW74L-XMA
youtube.com/watch?v=0UpZnSjMko4
youtube.com/watch?v=0OF1nqEVR_o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Same reason we find visual art appealing or culinary arts tasty. Like all the other animals, we evolved to find some things pleasing for survival reasons.

Good thread. I've always wondered, is there such thing as scientifically created music? In other words, music that has been created using scientific evidence to be appealing to us?

The frequencies of harmonics are evenly divisible, by the note frequency.
You have all these evenly divisible frequencies together as a group, and the result is a note, rather than noise.
I'm just speculating here, but it probably is less straining for an ear to pick up frequencies that are harmonic than just scattered noise. I think the ear itself gets less physical strain from registering notes than it gets from registering noise. I don't think the preference is an intellectual one, or one that needs any processing by the brain, rather a physical one in the ear itself.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=cyW5z-M2yzw

bumping for later perusal.

kek this

> it's not designed from a scientific standpoint to be appealing
That's only because science has (so far) been reluctant to define what it means for music to be appealing, leaving it to business to pick up the slack:

>engineered to appeal to as broad an audience as possible
The profit motive of companies is demonstrated with such remarkable consistency that it should become a law of economics (if it isn't already), like the second law of thermodynamics.

I don't know about human music but I remember reading an article about some scientist trying to make music for chimps and they did make music that was tailored to them.

Reminder that psychology is not a science. Ask physicists. Biology is not a science also ask chemists.

I'm interested in what that music sounds like. Link?

I used to have a goldfish that was swim differently as a reaction to my piano playing. Maybe I am delusional but anytime I played chopin he would flutter about quite peacefully and when I changed to a beethoven piece he would swim very fast and agitated. On the other hand maybe I was just playing very loud and the loud vibrations disturbed him.

Three is also music for cats. My cat likes it

Idiotic response, it isn't the stimuli themselves which are pleasurable in music. 'Dude probs evolved for it lmao! how? Errr, I dunno...'

Music which was sublime and considered something like the voice of the angels prior to the fall is offensive to modern ears. We have no reason to presume that there's some pre-existing pattern which we like which music simply finds.

> I don't think the preference is an intellectual one, or one that needs any processing by the brain, rather a physical one in the ear itself.
Yes, the ear and not the brain is involved in making and listening to music... riiight.

Musicology isn't a reason, it's a description of music.

That's because the audience shares the same culture, they're used to the same music and expectations. But it's the same with classical music, for instance, which is totally different and so has different listeners, whose musical anticipation is different.

>calming or pleasurable sounds mimicing environmental responses for a chimp is equivalent to human music

>Ask physicists. Biology is not a science also ask chemists.

Idiot alert.

youtube.com/watch?v=nEhTkF3eG8Q

My cats wake up and come to me purring in response to me humming or whistling.

Music is clearly a synthesis of the human imagination, forming whole forms of sound, which are united in the imagination as a single temporal experience, forming a rhythmical language which doesn't denote directly but which allows human emotional experience to reach a symbolic, rhythmical language.

A more likely source for the human receptivity to music could take for instance the human experience of time which emerges by an auto-affection of the nervous system in physical time, a similar auto-affection being at work of course in the womb when we're children, in the form of hearing our own heartbeats and the heartbeats of the mother in the body, and remembering this unconsciously.

Share scientifically appealing music:

youtu.be/-rSW74L-XMA

youtube.com/watch?v=0UpZnSjMko4

It is scientifically proven (psychology lel) that incoherent music that is appealing is good for studying.

>Shibayan Records
My nigga

youtube.com/watch?v=0OF1nqEVR_o

There have been a couple of good points. As elitist and ignorant as this board can be, sociological argumente should also be included in any serious answer to OPs question.

Perhaps they would say that we forget that even music that is "appealing" to us, has no evidence for being universally pleasent, and there is evidence to the contrary.

Maybe there is a physical system in the human body that allows for a concept such as music to be developed, but it would appear that it originally served as a means to communication, and as "human intelect" grew sophisticated, "art" was born.

Some of it is inherent to biology (e.g. we can hear different frequencies at different ages and different species hear different frequencies), but a lot of what constitutes "pleasant" aspects of music is definitely cultural. People from isolated cultures in South America were played the tritone (considered an extremely dissonant interval in Western music) and had no feeling of being jarred. Musical aesthetic varies by time too. Some chords that are today usually considered beautiful and sonorous (e.g. the major seventh chord) would be seen as very unappealing by 18th century composers. Likewise, medieval composers like those of the Notre Dame school found the empty fifth interval to be pleasant, while most listeners today consider that same interval to be "soulless" or harmonically ambiguous.
t. Musician and huge music nerd

Both of my dogs did the same thing when I was growing up. I'd play piano and my sister's neurotic dog would calm down and lie down underneath the piano.

It's art. Expression of form and frequency seeking extrinsic connections.

That 's the base of pop music. Music that is sure to sell.