Always hear about how common core is retarded

>Always hear about how common core is retarded
>Google how it works for subtraction
>This is what I've been doing all along mentally for more complex arithmetic
I get how Veeky Forums thinks it's nonsense, but it's pretty logical once you get past the stupid illustrations/wasting time on simple problems that could be done in your head at a glance

>wasting mental space on something that will only ever be done by computers

>being a brainlet who has to pull out a phone calculator for simple arithmetic

It better be logical or it would be wrong.

The point is, doing it this way isn't more efficient than doing it the traditional way. It also hasnt been proven to improve critical reasoning. So what's the point in wasting all this money to reinvent the wheel?

>common core
Nice meme

>>This is what I've been doing all along mentally for more complex arithmetic
That's what common core math is all about.

>I get how Veeky Forums thinks it's nonsense
Are you sure it's Veeky Forums?
/pol/ really hates common core, and thinks it's a communist plot to subvert decent-law abiding Americans, and they do tend to drift into Veeky Forums a lot.
And they backed the illiterate guy in the last election.
Go figure.

I use the subtract the difference of 38 and 25 from 300 to find the answer method

The issue with teaching it how its done in the smartest of people's heads is that it makes absolutely 0 fucking sense and is extremely hard to follow to most people.

>not doing (325-40) +2

Do you find it reasonable to let your children's education in the hands of that illiterate guy?

Eloquently said.

>3.0let detected
h-hold on l-let me pull out my calculator!

Wait, trump's illiterate?

Teaching students how to do mathematics in their head... on paper... is a detriment to the student body.

It's really shitty to make this a political thread but if you do a little google searching there are quite a few articles that point out that he only gets his information from TV, doesn't ever read, and won't bother with anything more than a page.
I think it's a little wild to say he's illiterate but he certainly does not have a very strong vocabulary or reading comprehension.

You can also see why the less educated see him as "speaking like a regular(uneducated) person" which he very obviously does.

The problem with common core math isn't the method used it's the confusing terminology used.

who the hell had so much trouble learning to carry the 1 to the next column that they had to develop this shit

>Common core is perfectly sensible

>not just doing (5 - 8) + (20 - 30) + 300

not liking common core is such a reddit/pol thing to do. only morons don't understand the point of it. our kids are going to be way more mathematically able than we ever were.

Not really, kids are more confused.
My parents taught me basic math before I went to school, can you imagine the confusion for the kids that already have been taught how to subtract the old fashion way and now have to learn common core bullshit.

>being a brainlet who deals with number
lemme guess, are you an engineer?

But how can schools be successful in teaching maths if they waste months for teaching mental arithmetics tricks that can be figured out in couple hours by anybody

>our kids are going to be way more mathematically able than we ever were.
some of them, who won't be confused as hell seeing how adding two numbers requires following some weird procedures, each having it's own name, may be slightly faster in doing maths in their heads than us, but being better in calculations doesn't mean being better in maths

>And they backed the illiterate guy in the last election.

Don't ever mistake your ability to memorize formulae as insight into politics moron.

I actually do something similar to this, but with less steps. 38 is close to 40 so I subtract 40 from 325 which is just 285. Then add 2 to get 287.

I swear this bullshit was written by sub 100 IQ brainlets

>Patrician methods

Good God... Fucking education majors ruining a perfectly good system just so they can justify continued funding. Just like flipped classroom bullshit, total waste of everyone's time, in thirty years they'll invent a new method called lecturing... Scumbags

Common core isn't the problem, insisting that all kids should follow the same program and if someone is underperforming it is because they are taught wrong is.

mental space is not finite

Common Core Math methods seem geared towards having students think about math the way programmers have to think about math.

I think it's a decent idea when half of them might end up as programmers in the future, but I understand that it would be better to teach a variety of methods so people can pick what they like to use and have a greater understanding of the many ways to solve a problem.

[citation needed]

Also he never appears in the same room as spiderman. Does that make him fucking spiderman?

> implying that the information density within a human brain is infinite
> implying that bremermann's limit doesn't apply to human brains

Are you literally retarded?

------
------

>/pol/ really hates common core, and thinks it's a communist plot to subvert decent-law abiding Americans
Psh, I wish. But actually, as it turns out, the bourgeois client state doesn't tend to institute much communist policy. Whom'st'd've guessed?

But how can schools be successful in teaching maths if they waste five years endlessly drilling exactly four specific algorithms for longhand computation that can be figured out in a couple hours by anybody

Wow, so they need to learn more than one way to think about subtraction, and actually consider the relationship between a method and *why* it works? Those poor helpless dears! Common core is sabotaging our children!

320-30 = 290

5-8 = -3

290-3 = 287

I sincerely doubt the orange clowns involvement in education goes any further than getting that lunatic DeVos instated.

maybe it confuses you because you're sub 100 IQ?

The problem with common core is that they try to teach the little shortcuts and tricks people use to do math as the way it's done. This is a problem because these little heuristics don't necessarily make sense or work for everyone nor are they necessarily the best way to teach someone concepts.

Like, when I'm doing arithmetic in my head, I always do it from left to right. This most definitely is not how you should teach someone to do it.

It's like teaching kids to speak by telling them to grab their lips and move them a certain way. "Hurr, i did it all along!"

And nobody found school hard unless they were fucking stupid anyway. So why change things?

Why don't we just copy Singapore? I know that as Ameriblubbers we are exceptional and ever trying to learn anything from anyone else would undermine American exceptionalism, but we really need to do something about math performance.

>we really need to do something about math performance.
Why?

Seriously, why?

What use is even algebra to the vast majority of people on this planet?

Who gives a shit if the guy working the jiffy lube can identify a unit circle?

How does it help if your plumber knows how to differentiate?

We're doing just fine where it matters.

Are all the Asian countries like Singapore, Hong Kong, etc. that bother to educate their kids in math simply retarded for doing so then? You should go tell them, they will be happy to save money/

You didn't answer my question.
What would the benefit be if everyone by the end of high school went through say DiffEq?

325-38

38-25=13

300-13=287

?

The Singapore math curriculum only goes through pre-calculus iirc. Students who are graduating high school shoujld at least be able to add, multiply, and solve equations.

Well the general idea is that by increasing the standard of education, we'd get less people doing unskilled labour like "working the jiffy lube". I don't actually know what that is, but I'm assuming it's a job retarded people do.

You're still not answering the question: why?

You keep asserting that everyone should be able to sketch f(x)=12(x-3)^3 but still haven't begun to state why everyone should be able to do this. Of what benefit are these maths generally?

325-38

I like to make the subtracted part a multiple of 10 so

= 325 - 30 - 8
= 317 - 30
= 287
is this common core?

All constants are rounded to 1 only if the subject is non practical.

>Well the general idea is that by increasing the standard of education, we'd get less people doing unskilled labour like "working the jiffy lube". I don't actually know what that is, but I'm assuming it's a job retarded people do.
It's an oil change place that tries to sell you expensive wiper blades.

>unskilled labor
See, here's where the argument for "take more math" falls on its face. There is no job on the planet where precal makes you more skilled than someone who has not taken precal. If you're interested in creating a skilled workforce, you invest in training people on shit like relay logic, the basics of electricity, machining, welding, joinery, etc. Precal, hell, even calculus isn't a worthwhile skill for the vast majority of positions, and in terms of calculus, it's definitely not a skill in and of itself, it's merely a foundation upon which other skills can be built. That means unless you're aiming to build those other skills, then it's a waste of time (from a purely utilitarian point of view) to bother learning.

So the population does not become retarded.

I don't know about your kind of brainlet but every time I do a big leap in a problem that involves working with long operations and rewriting sums to find new identities I like to quickly mentally check if what I did holds in every step. I usually do this by plugging in 4 or 6 into my expression and that way I can catch mistakes quickly. Much faster than writing a whole program to compute my specific sum and much faster than if I had not yet developed all these fast arithmetic mental tricks.

It is clear that brainlets (99.9% of the population) do not naturally develop arithmetic tricks. I know this because many times people have been surprised at how fast I can do mental math. So I see no problem with teaching the common brainlet the tricks in a classroom so that they will know them regardless. I think that being able to quickly check your own mistakes is one of the most important skills to have.

I see you're failing to hold up your part of that.

Why? I have a STEM degree and earn a good salary. People who graduate high school should have a certain level of mathematical competence. Either make sure they acquire this, or redefine "high school" so that, for instance, there exist secondary schools focused on trades where no one has to learn much of anything other than their trade.

>Why?
Perpetuating the idiocy that muhmath, as is, is in any way useful for us to continue to support and require.
>I have a STEM degree and earn a good salary.
And there are methheads in the Bakken who make more than you while being responsible for more than you without doing anything but basic arithmetic. Neither "facts" about you are in any way related to this point.
>People who graduate high school should have a certain level of mathematical competence.
So let's make sure to set that at some arbitrary, useless point so you can point to national level statistics with a measure of pride? Good thing our education system has no problems setting people up for gainful careers; otherwise, one might consider all of the funds spent towards knocking up one insignificant statistic a waste.
>Either make sure they acquire this
You've not defined exactly what your "certain level of mathematical competence" is and damn sure haven't shown how it's a useful standard.
>or redefine "high school" so that, for instance, there exist secondary schools focused on trades where no one has to learn much of anything other than their trade.
You're not too familiar with how education works, are you?

What do you actually advocate here? Educating only portion of the population (in the usual sense) and send the rest to trade schools, because teaching brainlets subjects they won't use is a waste of time?

It's stupid because that method has so many unnecessary steps. The more steps (assuming they've been simplified) you have and the more things you are required to keep track of, the more likely you are to mess up.

>What do you actually advocate here?
Ah, so you can't actually defend your position so you're trying to shift attention from how you can't to trying to make me defend mine.
>Educating only portion of the population (in the usual sense) and send the rest to trade schools,
And here you show your idiotic sense of superiority. The trades take education. Without bothering to dick with that particular bias further, I'll point out that that's essentially what already happens but with the exception that many on the trade side of the equation don't get shit for training. They get giant hunks of their lives wasted learning shit like precal when they could have been learning a skill that's both useful to them and the rest of society as a whole.
>because teaching brainlets subjects they won't use is a waste of time?
It's a waste of everyone's time and resources. If Bob is going to be a welder, there's no point in anyone forcing him to learn the difference between y=x+2 and f(x)=x+2.

Reasoning ability
Fucking durr

This is the correct answer guis

Yes, because that only exists in mathematics.

>why should X be taught?
Because it Y
>w-well X isn't the ONLY thing that Y, therefore it has zero use to anyone not directly applying it's methods in their particular job and should not be required of anybody
?????

Wow, it's like you're totally ignoring that replication of effort is often pointless and whether or not mathematics is the best vehicle with which to teach reasoning!

>There is no job on the planet where precal makes you more skilled than someone who has not taken precal.
Pretty much all engineering disciplines rely on calculus. It's pretty important in biology too. If you want to become anything more than a minimum wage drone or a tradesman, you need mathematics.

That has what to do with the price of tea in China?

huh?

Dont ever mistake your lack of ability to memorize formulae as insight into politics either.

Jesus, for people suckling on the tit of "mathematics as an avenue to teach reasoning", you lot are terrible at reasoning.

What does /calculus/ being a tool in a subset of jobs (one that people like you grossly overestimate by the way) have to do with /precalculus/ skills?

To put it another way, if you're going into a job for which calculus is useful, you will, by necessity, get the skills in precalculus. If you're not going into a job for which calculus is necessary, then what purpose does precal serve?

>trying to teach intuition

Or you can just let the kids figure it out themselves. They will eventually come to the same method, unless they're brainlets.

Fucking moneylets. It's always about jobs with you guys.

The narwhal bacons at bidnight ecks deee

>how compound interest works
>some phenomena are periodic

In this case, only because I'm footing the fucking bill for some welder to have to sit through some course he doesn't need twice, then the welfare because he didn't pass and didn't get a high school diploma so he couldn't get into tech school to teach him something useful to him, the police to deal with the increased crime rate from his ass being unemployed since even McDonalds won't hire his ass because he doesn't have a high school diploma, etc. etc. etc.

If someone has a hankering to learn whatever, then awesome, yes, I'm fine with supporting that, especially if it is something that can enrich both their lives and those around them; however, that doesn't mean that I'm also for wasting resources on people who have no drive, no desire, and no care to learn or ever use such.

No amount of lipstick on a pig will make it kissable.

Man, how will someone ever figure out how much interest they can make/will be charged...

So then go complain to /pol/ or something. This isn't a scientific issue, it's an economic issue.

what's with all the common core shilling nowadays? is this is what CIA niggers are paid to do?

>there's no more to understanding a phenomenon than plugging in numbers and being told "how much you'll make" by Google
Wow, god help you if the interest rate on your IRA is nonconstant over the next twenty years, or god forbid you have to scale its nominal value for either inflation or purchasing power
>inb4 how is a fucking IRA going to help me weld shit hurr durr

Ad hom

If only there were professionals who advise people in financial matters...

But I'm sure you also grow your own penicillium with that biology knowledge you've acquired.

I'm too busy growing anthrax.

>But I'm sure you also grow your own penicillium
Well, no, I grow recombinant yeasts that shit morphine. For that top top dolla dolla biiiiiiiiiillz yo

only smart person here

Basically, Common Core math is retarded shit created by dumb people who are confused about what makes a person intelligent.

Many people don't know this, but at the higher levels of math you actually do less and less arithmetic instead of the other way around. You can literally get through a college level physics test by counting on your fingers. They don't even allow calculators, even normal ones. It's more about logic, and higher levels of reasoning rather than rote calculation. If you asked a math professor to compute 1576 x 1476, he will pull out a calculator.

So this whole business about teaching kids all these tips and tricks to solve mental math problems is bullshit. You should just teach them a way to get the answer as fast as possible. The less mental effort spent on rote calculation the better.

>Many people don't know this, but at the higher levels of math you actually do less and less arithmetic instead of the other way around.
Zzz
>It's more about logic, and higher levels of reasoning rather than rote calculation. If you asked a math professor to compute 1576 x 1476, he will pull out a calculator.
Yeah, which is why they're trying to pivot from cranking out rote calculations towards logically reasoning about these basic operations in various contrasting ways.
>So this whole business about teaching kids all these tips and tricks to solve mental math problems is bullshit. You should just teach them a way to get the answer as fast as possible.
Kek your argument proves your conclusion's negation. Why care at all about how fast they can get the right answers to arithmetic problems when answers to arithmetic problems are basically irrelevant to any real math?
It's not "tips and tricks for mental math." It's a variety of intuitive procedures which many people recognize as they ways they -happen- to do mental calculations, and the analysis of why these procedures are valid.

Protip: the "tips and tricks" ARE the "higher levels of logic and reasoning." Introced at a younger age. For better results.

No, logic and reasoning has to do with things like rates of change, telescoping sums, symmetry....things like this.

You are spending all this effort teaching them this number-shuffling nonsense. Just teach them how to get the right answer in a consistent way so they can calculate their shopping bill. No need for all this complicated bullshit.

Common Core was never tested. It was implemented on a national level with no trial run. The people behind it came out and openly said that they were motivated by a desire for social justice.

>Calculus, "the classic way"
>Ok class, I would explain the product rule by drawing a rectangle with sides f(x) and g(x) and explaining visually why the derivative of the area is the sum of these two slivers on adjacent ends, but instead I'd just like you to repeat after me, "f prime g plus g prime f." Good! "f prime g plus g prime f. f prime g plus g prime f. f prime g plus g prime f. f prime g plus g prime f. f prime g plus g prime f. f prime g plus g prime f." Good! Now write it out a hundred times for homework.
>[spoiler] get lots of practice because the product rule is this month's topic! [/spoiler]