Alright Veeky Forums

Alright Veeky Forums
Ideally, which number base system should we be using?

p adics, that way we can figure out prime numbers easier. you can just count them. :^)

/What is this?

Base avogadro's constant

We should not limit ourselves to a single numbering base system and use whatever is appropriate.

In the vast majority of cases, the choice of number base is basically inconsequential.
In the few cases where it actually does matter, we already use relevant bases eg: base 16 in software.

hexadecimal.

your mom

Base 69 xdddddddddddddddd

Its a lot easier to mentally do conversions between some bases than others though. For example hex to octal is just splitting every digit in 2. Converting decimal to hex, octal, binary etc is mentally more work because the digits don't line up in a simple way.

I think we should be using octal. It's close enough to decimal and would make conversions to hex and binary easier for people.

Octal is the worst base. Nobody likes octal.

>For example hex to octal is just splitting every digit in 2.
Uh, you might want to double check that.
Hex to quaternary would just by splitting every digit in two.

Base 1

Base 12

All you faggots using whole number bases instead of some godly shit like 3/32

>he still uses numbers as bases instead of indeterminates
If you haven't at LEAST done some generatingfunctionology, you haven't done any math at all.

Horses for courses.

base i

Base pi

Base -1/12

i don't care, but make it logarithmic

Finally someone got it right

Base 64

>user still uses numbers

God, I fucking hate undergrads.

Basically this.

>what is number theory

Umm, just a theory, i.e. not proven/all in someone's head.

Jesus some people are dense.

>brain assplodes

Oddly enough it doesn't use numbers, just successions of unity. Numbers are a shortcut so we don't have to say "one and another one and another one and another one..."