/scilit/

Greetings from Veeky Forums. What are some decent science books? Are there even good scI books that aren't text books? I've read some pop scI, but don't want to get bullied.

pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

Veeky
gen.lib.rus.ec/search.php?req=manga guide to No Starch Press&open=0&res=25&view=simple&phrase=1&column=def
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Jesus Christ That book.
I don't need these feels tonight.

Sorry user... It was the only relevant matieral, aside from dumb fucking frogs.

My Twisted Universe by Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Just google nonfiction science books about biographies or some shit.

I'm pretty sure you are not here to learn science itself but shit about science like history, facts, etc.
Poor user-kun
H-Have a Veeky Forums laugh, I don't have any Veeky Forums humor right now.

Since you're not here to learn about science (itself):
>Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/History
>History of Science, the most patrician of the humanities.

Another interesting take on the dataset:
>Pic related.

Id say that genetics is much less mathematical than astronomy and equally as difficult.

So mathematics is less math than physics?

Doesn't seem that surprising when you realize that by "math" they mean "quantitative", and that at higher levels of math there are fewer calculations and more proofs.

>tfw can't download the Manga Guide to Relativity
I bet the Jews did this

where can I download these?

>want to write a manga guide to Lie groups and Lie algebra
>even made up characters and storylines that tie into Lie groups and their applications
>anyone I know interested in this project can't draw
>anyone I know that can draw isn't interested

>drawing
I know NoStarch restricts its translations to the series published by OhmSha, but obviously they can't claim to have a monopoly on manga guides, and even a cursory Google search for "マンガでわかる" (or "マンガで分かる") turns up thousands of titles under multiple publishers, with dramatically differing art quality.
Some of them are really terrible. Like I-could-do-better kind of terrible. (And even the artstyle in the OhmSha series is noticeably non-uniform anyway.)
tl;dr art quality isn't really as big a deal-breaker as you'd imagine.

>manga guide to Lie groups and Lie algebra
I was going to remark on how obscure this would be until I remembered that OhmSha has a manga guide to factor analysis (by the same author who did the other two statistics guides, no less).

I'd offer to help if I could, but my job makes long-term committments difficult, and my drawing ability has been reduced to chickenscribbling since I got on the math train.
Good luck with your search though, I'll certainly read your book/notes when it comes out.

If I do it I want it to be quality. I want my work to get an anime adaptation.

Tell me this is real user

Yeah, you can find download links on google for nearly all of them.

That's still math, and very hard math at that.

No, actually I'd love to learn res science, but I don't know where to start. Raises with MOOCs. I was looking for something that isn't a textbook per se , but could still explain the concepts. I.e "how to learn physics," "painful calculus," and so forth.

>Physics uses more math than MATH ITSELF
dropped

How about Goedel Escher Bach?

The Greatest Show On Earth by Dawkins is actually surprisingly good for the layperson.

>Creative Wriging

My favourite tbqh

Foundation - Asimov
Starship Troopers - Heinlein
I put Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep on my wishlist. I've heard good things about Phillip K Dick.

Pop-sci list for you to all say are terrible:
I liked Freakonomics
I read the first half or so of Gangleader for a Day
Trying to think what other non-fiction I liked
Surely You're Joking Mr Feynman

>Dawkins

>>>/reddit/

Théorème vivant does a pretty good job of conveying what it is that mathematicians do all day and with little popsci, but I don't think it has been translated.

The best

for mathematics, try this.

The Vital Question is my favourite pop sci book by Nick Lane, it's about the origin of life. Life on the Edge by Jim Al-Khalili is also a very exciting and accessible book about the role of quantum physics in biology

The Night Dad Went to Jail - Niel Degrasse Tyson

>Théorème vivant
It's called birth of a theorem in English

Try a bio on Heaviside. If there is one that is.

GEB, I am a strange loop, Mathematics: Form and Function, Quantum Computing since Democritus.
The first two are accessible and excellent. Quantum Computing since Democritus is good but sometimes the writing is confusing (IE when he gives cantor's diagonal argument(I think)).

Mathematics Form and Function is actually a pretty rigorous text made fun by the discursive style and philosophical commentary. I guess it's essentially a textbook though.

So far from what I've read it really does seem that Douglas Hofstadter is by far the best science writer. I'd like to read something as good as GEB.

>GEB, I am a strange loop

Can you elaborate what are they about and what should I expect from them? How scientific is stuff in them, I mean is they closer to science fiction than to real science and such?

GEB - taste of logic for peasants
I am a strange loop - same

This, but it doesn't change the fact that GEB is timeless masterpiece.

Black hare :DD

It is already pretty dated in some parts.

Ecology is weird because it is split between applied and empirical ecology with less math but a lot of ecology is theoretical

anything Hibbeler

Is there a good pop sci book on holographic theory out atm?

The one I get hits for on google is some ~30 year out of date quantum mysticism BS, wondering if anybody else has taken a punt at it lately. Tbh, though, I'll even take a good textbook here.

gen.lib.rus.ec/search.php?req=manga guide to No Starch Press&open=0&res=25&view=simple&phrase=1&column=def

Only book you'll ever need.

>that aren't text books

Stop being a fag and read grown up books