ITT we post legitimate scientific hypotheses, theories, facts and mysteries that give you goosebumps and creep you out

ITT we post legitimate scientific hypotheses, theories, facts and mysteries that give you goosebumps and creep you out

arxiv.org/abs/1701.01109
>Fast Radio Bursts might be very old signals of an alien transport system outside our galaxy

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicameralism_(psychology)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell's_theorem
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecliptic_alignment_of_CMB_anisotropy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hole_argument
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypotheses_non_fingo
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosemiotics
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMB_cold_spot#Supervoid
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_vacuum
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_vacuum#Vacuum_metastability_event
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KIC_8462852
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elder_Thing
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporal_paradox_(paleontology)
phys.org/news/2017-03-fast-radio-powering-alien-probes.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_vacuum#Implications
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_flow
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleodictyon_nodosum
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicameralism_(psychology)

Iron Stars

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell's_theorem
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecliptic_alignment_of_CMB_anisotropy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hole_argument
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypotheses_non_fingo

>four-legged trackways appear 18 million years before the first tetrapod fossils

get
the
le
fug
out

Nothing like that but this activates my almonds and sprinkles biskets on my butter
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosemiotics

this is Veeky Forums material. more than your gay college experiences.

Just playing the odds, that is not too surprising -- I have left footprints all over the world every day for 50 years, and might get another 30 or 40 years worth before I die, at which point I will add one (1) skeleton to the possible fossil traces I might leave.

One organism can leave millions of possible trackways, but only one set of remains.

>Ecliptic alignment of CMB anisotropy

Explain this please. Should I go to the church?

Not that scary but still interesting what's going on there.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMB_cold_spot#Supervoid

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_vacuum creeps me the fuck out

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_vacuum#Vacuum_metastability_event

Stuff in this thread is mostly interesting, but I don't see how any of it can creep anyone out.

almost everyone already knows this one but going to post anyway

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KIC_8462852

Humans are mostly scared by the unknown.

What do you guys think about the Great Attractor? What that might be?

Fear of things that lurk in darkness depends on the those things being able to hypothetically effect you. I suppose the false vacuum is a valid fear, if remote, but I don't see what the iron star guy is on about or most of the others.

>What do you guys think about the Great Attractor? What that might be?

Can't post it on a worksafe board.

super advanced ayys can be a threat too.

>inb4 /x/

Either they've been here forever and ain't doing shit, or aren't going to be here for a long fucking time and it doesn't matter to us right now. It's stupid to worry about.

Scientists say by the year 2078 the planet Mar's moon will become hotter and hotter. It could potentially crash into Earth if it winds up fling away from Mars due to the heat. The sad part? Nobody is sure why this will happen and we may not have the time to deflect the heat shield... Even if we can build the heat shield the atoms would be moving so fast due to Martian radiation that we may all day anyway. Either way we're all probably dead by 2078.

HIV / AIDS was probably the negligent accident of some fucker in 1957-1959 who was testing a new oral polio vaccine.

source?

i searched it online nothing even similar to what op says appears.

>they havent contacted us because they went extinct long before we came on the scene

You cant be sure the thing you dont know about will not affect you... because you dont know about it

Why is that being covered up/is not commonly known?

They arent here anymore because they left for a new universe. They know something we don't

look at you brave little man not afraid of the dark

i bet you've been injecting since you were 8 years old

Surprisingly, seemingly a few of the influential people on the Science and Nature review boards for this particular area have financial ties to the guy who did the thing.

And the people who first figured this all out are outsiders with no proper science degrees, who published in popular science outlooks, which made the scientists "circle the wagons".

And because the guy who did the thing, is a litigious fuck who sued the first guy who published this.. Sued for defamation. Settled out of court.

And finally, because of some people with "good" intentions who believe that even if it's true, it's better to lie about it, to prevent concerns about modern day vaccines.

Yeah i guess it probably would be better to cover up something like this if it were actually true. Look at the damage president antivaxx is doing. No man-made calamity necessary...

ur mom

> stable universe higgs boson ~124-135
> our universe's higgs boson ~125-127

Gonna be a close one

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecliptic_alignment_of_CMB_anisotropy

Okay now I'm fucking spooked

S-speaking of which, does anyone else here have any of those?

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_vacuum

Fucking hell I didn't expect this thread to actually freak me the fuck out.

My theory about fast radio bursts are that they are black hole lightning. This means that so much charge builds up an a black hole that it causes dielectric breakdown of the very thin interstellar medium.

The fact that the universe has a proposed elliptical shape has no relation to the fact that our orbit does ffs. Thats just confirmation bias.

this trace fossil has been found in every period of the Phanerozoic (541 million years) and can still be found today on the ocean floor

the process or animal that would produce them is completely unknown and has never been observed

>tfw you get nightmares about this kinda thing happening

Just bees you spaz

Getting too spoopy.

Protheans?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elder_Thing

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporal_paradox_(paleontology)

>If bird-like dinosaurs are the ancestors of birds they should, then, be older than birds, but Archaeopteryx is 155 million years old, while the very bird-like Deinonychus is 35 million years younger. This idea is sometimes summarized as "you can't be your own grandmother".

Another article about the ayy FRBs. Pretty cool, and scary if I imagine planet sized transmitters.

phys.org/news/2017-03-fast-radio-powering-alien-probes.html

Dumb dumb. Evolution isnt a group party, bird like dinosaurs could remain after truer birds came on the scene. Blacks still exist

so maybe there was a divergence in population somewhere? paleontologists are fuckin brainlets.

Everyone has. We suck each other all the time at the uni. It's makes things more fun also helps to get connections.

wat

>Its a high shooler watched in a nutshell the other days and links the wikipedia article to try and pretend thats not where they heard it episode

how come all the monkies arent evolved into people yet?

checkmate

Sorry to burst your vacuum bubble but I got the link from the previous thread on sci that was about spooky things.

Burst my rectal abcess at least

not trolling but why are you freaked about the CMB one??

>Its a high shooler watched in a nutshell the other days and links the wikipedia article to try and pretend thats not where they heard it episode

Because that could mean that Sun is in the center of the Universe.

It's like people forget about speciation

See

Is that sure? For some reason it gives me the creeps if I think about that we are created or that we are some kind of experiment.

Check the English dictionary of planet science. Should be at most library's in WAHC

This is the only thing that kinda bothers me sometimes.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_vacuum#Implications

that's not what the observation states

In all seriousness it's probably a gigantic cluster of galaxies

Doesn't everyone know that life is just a series of blowjobs?

I must be dead.

Penile fracture

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypotheses_non_fingo
Why does that spook you?

my mind is a bit blown, but wouldn't this be a result of relativity? I mean, all the little bits and bobs of distortion that we don't normally consider are going to add up, all those ripples and dilations from the movement of the earth and the solar system over billions/trillions of years building up over time from our point of perspective.

I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if every solar system or major body looked like the center of the universe, if you measured from its perspective, because of the way the effects of relative space-time would build up over such a long period of time.

so basically god confirmed?
why isn't this religious peoples #1 argument?

electric universe and Kozyrev mirrors, also light being variable and not constant

HOLY SHIT

is this what happens when you run into a wall with a boner

>le

You don't belong here.

Anyone creeped out about the anthropic principle?

>Dark Flow

Ok, but if the metastable vacuum topples and transforms to the stable vacuum. Why should non-vacuum parts also go into stable vacuum? A planet for example is very far away from the lowest energy. Why should it suddenly turn into the lowest possible energy state?

This actually happened to a mate of mine. He called me late one night high as fuck to ask if I knew anything about sewing.

It took a while to determine he was interested in whether I could stitch up his cock before I told him to go to hospital.

Apparently he took around six months to regain full use.

This is seriously upsetting

What is the hoopla? Aren't all points in the universe technically in the center?

yeah I don't get it either
anywhere you can see 13.799 billion lightyears in all directions, so it seems like you're in the center

You dont belong in the west.

> earth rotates around the sun in an elliptical
> find the universe has an elliptical shape
>"wow holy shit god is real we are kangz"
Or, you know it could have been any shape, it doesn't have to NOT be ours. Im sure in the whole universe there's a giant mountain formation that looks exactly like a human head. The universe isnt designed around how we'll interpret it.

I also find disturbing that viewing from Earth the Moon has the exact same size as the Sun.

>Dark Flow
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_flow

Oh sheit.

because religious people usually argue science is fake and god explains everything on the grounds that since they don't understand scientific explanations and they do understand religious explanations that god is the logical answer.

>Im sure in the whole universe there's a giant mountain formation that looks exactly like a human head.
SHOW ME WAT YOU GOOOOT

I'm not without fear, this just isn't pushing my buttons.

Maybe I'm just too worried about mundane and immediate shit.

It doesn't. Notice how the edge of the sun is still visible.

A fucking honeycomb.

Moon is moving further away every year. We just happen to be around when we can get nice eclipses like this.

determinism + big crunch = you live the same life over and over

>thinking this is bad
>mfw

>honey bees
>Phanerozoic

hello brainlet

ah shit
The Federal Reserve has been coining money for half a billion years?

>le edgy r/atheism argument
did you actually bother to check what the catholic church say regarding science or read history at all?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleodictyon_nodosum