/SQT/ - ask your math and science questions here

Other urls found in this thread:

knowyourmeme.com/memes/grand-prix-richmond-crackstyle
youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

fat jon snow

Question on numerical methods for differential equations:
Could someone explain what's going on here?

I assume we have [math] g(x) \approx _a g(a) + g ' (a) (x-a) + \frac{ g''(a) } { 2! } (x-a) + ... [/math]
With [math] g(x) = y'(x)[/math] and [math] a = t_{ n+2 } [/math] , but what's x here, is it h? And how do they get the right hand taylor series?

Also I read that just replacing y by a polynomial of degree p and check for which p (1) is exact would also work to find the order of consistency, but it's only exact for p=0 and p=1. Why?

Someone explain the asscrack man meme to me.

>Someone explain the asscrack man meme to me.
You should...
(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
Know Your Meme
knowyourmeme.com/memes/grand-prix-richmond-crackstyle
youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o

From someone who knows almost nothing about physics:

Say the speed of light as a universal constant was a higher number, say a flat 200,000 miles a second.

Would this have made an appreciable difference on a cosmological scale?

He's the hero we deserve.

>“I’m no longer banned from playing in magic tournaments. I have risen from the ashes to defend my honor against the scrubs of Earth. Prepare yourselves.”

Holy shit that's some supervillain tier bants.

Can someone tell me about nukes? North Korea nukes in particular?
It seems that none of their nukes are even a kiloton in payload, and Hiroshima's was 15kt. How would this translate into actual damage?

It'd suck but could suck far worse.

I am trying to understand the concept of entropy. I am aware that entropy is a measure of disorder. Also, the higher temperature a substance is, the higher the entropy.
So that does mean that a higher temperature substance is more disordered? But energy of a higher temperature has higher quality, so shouldn't this mean less ordered, so lower entropy? Are quality of energy and entropy even related? I am kind of confused. Someone please explain!

pls help a brainlet

I mean, it sounds survivable if you're not in the immediate blast area at least

Huh it happened a lot sooner than I thought it did. For some reason I thought this was early 2000s.

(12 choose 3) for a)
For b), use the complementary probability

why do i punch myself in the face repeatedly until im almost unconscious

is there ANY relationship at all between mutual exclusiveness and independence?

I don't think there is if they do not share the same set right?

[math] \binom{ y _m , \text{ if } p = 0 }{ y _m + p(y _{m+1} - y_{m}) \text{ if } 0 < p < 1} [/math]

what is this even trying to do fempaii???

its numerical ANALysis btw Xppp

How you can prove this?

Is this about probability?

If two events are mutually exclusive, they are dependent on each other

What is K(p)?

the complete elliptic integral of the first kind

What?? If [math] A \cap B = \emptyset [/math] then [math] P(A \cap B) = 0 [/math] but that does not necessarily mean that [math] P(A) \cdot P(B) = 0 [/math] if [math]P(A) \neq 0 [/math] and [math]P(B) \neq 0 [/math]

The definition of independence is [math]P(A|B) = P(A)[/math] which does not hold if [math]A \cap B = \emptyset [/math]

I forgot: This is not true if one of the two probabilities is zero

[math]P(A) \cdot P(B) = P(A \cap B)[/math] is also a definition of independence right? If they are equal, they are independent right? And if its mutually exclusive, [math] P(A \cap B) = 0 [/math], right? But it is entirely possible to have non-zero P(A),P(B), thus contradiction.

which is exactly what you just said. FUCK. are you tho? what he/she/xer said is false right?

>xer
this is a science board

since gender is a spectrum, it would make sense to put a term to the median isn't it?

Let q= t_{n+2}. Then
y(t_{n+3}) = y(q+h) = y(q)+h*y'(q) + 1/2*h^2*y''(q)+1/6*h^3*y^(3)(q)+1/24*h^4*y^(4)(q)+...

y(t_{n+2))= y(q)

y(t_{n+1})= y(q-h) = y(q)-h*y'(q) + 1/2*h^2*y''(q)-1/6*h^3*y^(3)(q)+1/24*h^4*y^(4)(q)+...

y(t_n)=y(q-2*h) = y(q)-2*h*y'(q) + 1/2*4*h^2*y''(q)-1/6*8*h^3*y^(3)(q)+1/24*16*h^4*y^(4)(q)+...

Plug these 4 into RHS, with factors, should cancel a lot.

Is there any thing that happens to a plane or whatever device that uses a GPS when it crosses the hemisphere from south to north (or the other way around)?

What kind of non-zero P(A), P(B) would make this true[math]P(A)* P(B) = P(A \cap B) = 0 [/math] ?

Also, are there any things that only happen in the south hemisphere that don't happen in the north hemisphere (and/or the other way around)?

...none?? I am saying that claiming

if A and B are mutually exclusive, then they are independent

is FALSE.

Oh. Well, I agree with that, as I already said here

Is it possible to isolate for n in this equation [math]10^n (9 n - 1) = 1861091[/math]?. I tried taking the logs but couldn't figure it out since you end up with n and log(9n - 1).

Wtf DUDE am i retarded? You said and i said . We said opposite things

Given that P(A) > 0,P(B) > 0:

You said that mutual exclusiveness does not imply independence
I said that mutual exclusiveness implies dependence

Those are equivalent

How to solve pic?

spiralbound vs composition vs looseleaf

and do you keep your work and exercises from the book for review later?

Is there any chemical explanation for the dominant and recessive genes?

(C)

what is q?

And why is v1+v2 = m/t?

You're autistic

q the distance that both trains travel when they travel in the same direction but m miles apart

v1 + v2 = m/t because both trains together travel m miles in t hours

>gender is a spectrum

But it's not.

technically what you said is stronger

Awww it all makes sense now. Thank you user!

I had my Differential Equation Midterm today. I didn't even went to classes until now, but I realized I have to pass the course, so I studied from Thursday until Monday (today), for at least 40 hours during that span.
I did the midterm fairly well, but I felt that I became more socially retarded and also lightheaded, most probably because of the studying and not being around other people.

Is this a normal thing?

At first I thought this photo was of math majors but then saw the magic the gathering cards. Also they look like they get more pussy than math majors to boot.

Hypothetically could I cold water extract caffeine from Excedrine the way people do that with Oxy?

He's now the math oracle. He should be the OP of every SQT. You consult him and get mah math wisdom

In finding the equation of a line in a 3D plane, I'm given the formula:

[math] r(t) = (1-t)r_0 + tr_1 [/math]
Where [math]t[\math] is restricted to being between 0 and 1. Why is this the case? Why can is [math] t [\math] bounded like this?

I'm a drop out and don't have acces to someone with knowledge on the field,it is a ver basic problem I think. You have one object floating in a fluid in normal conditions. And then you have the same obejct on the same fluid BUT without atmosphere. How the obejcts reacts to this change? Does it keeps floating? What are the reasons for this change? Thanks in advance

>Why can is [math] t [\math] bounded like this?

Why not. In theory you can almost always extend your domain to the entirety of the real numbers. This is certainly the case with straight lines because it doesn't matter how far you go, the line never ends. But in practice you usually only care about a specific interval so you will always be working in bounded intervals like this.

Did anybody ever care to measure a tortoise's drag capability? Like, we have horsepower, but tortoise's have a notable strength for their size.

Horses can make much more than 1 hp...

Horsepower is literally defined as the average power of a horse...

I know they can, but how much our shell friends can make? I bet you are curious to know.

Ok, I just wanted to make sure it was completely arbitrary.

So basically, it just has to be bounded (because it is of course a line segment, not a line)?

Thanks user

What happens if I slowly dry the blood of a person? Will the person just feel fainter and fainter until eventual death, or will the person feel some sort of agonizing pain?

I know 3^n-O(2^n)=O(3^n)
Is 3^n-O(2^n)=\Omega(3^n)?

I know [math]3^n-O(2^n)=O(3^n)[/math]

is [math]3^n-O(2^n)=\Omega(3^n)[/math]?

it takes almost no extra work to just wrap it in math brackets faggot, I straight copied+pasted and wrapped it up

Thanks senpai

thickened blood
thrombosis, blood clots everywhere, stroke, numbness, etc shit like that

Which vitamin/nutrient deficiencies can be relatively easily detected without going to see a doctor?

Is the radiation you get from a CT scan enough to cause cancer?

I'm having a hard time understanding matrices.

I just want to scale, rotate and transform something around a point.

The order I'm using right now is:
>rotate
>scale
>translate to pivot
>translate to position

for the translate to position I'm using the original height/width of the thing before it's scaled. This gives the closest thing but it's still obviously wrong and when I do what people say is "right" it just turns out worse.

Read up on 4X4 matrices and quaternions

The FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multistage aerobic capacity test that progressively gets more difficult as it continues. The 20 meter pacer test will begin in 30 seconds. Line up at the start. The running speed starts slowly but gets faster each minute after you hear this signal bodeboop. A single lap should be completed every time you hear this sound. ding Remember to run in a straight line and run as long as possible. The second time you fail to complete a lap before the sound, your test is over. The test will begin on the word start. On your mark. Get ready!… Start. dingThe FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multistage aerobic capacity test that progressively gets more difficult as it continues. The 20 meter pacer test will begin in 30 seconds. Line up at the start. The running speed starts slowly but gets faster each minute after you hear this signal bodeboop. A single lap should be completed every time you hear this sound. ding Remember to run in a straight line and run as long as possible. The second time you fail to complete a lap before the sound, your test is over. The test will begin on the word start. On your mark. Get ready!… Start. dingThe FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multistage aerobic capacity test that progressively gets more difficult as it continues. The 20 meter pacer test will begin in 30 seconds. Line up at the start. The running speed starts slowly but gets faster each minute after you hear this signal bodeboop. A single lap should be completed every time you hear this sound. ding Remember to run in a straight line and run as long as possible. The second time you fail to complete a lap before the sound, your test is over. The test will begin on the word start. On your mark. Get ready!… Start. ding

how the fuck do you do this without knowing the specific heat capacity or anything?

Hi Veeky Forums. I know this is a problem for elementary school students but I just want someone to check my reasoning anyway.

Problem:

Two circles of unequal area intersect. The area of their intersection is equal to half the area of the smaller circle, and equal to one sixth the sum of the areas of the circles. What is the ratio of the area of the smaller circle to the larger circle?

Solution:

[math]a(A)\neq a(B)[/math]
[math][a(A) > a(B)]\vee[(a(A) < a(B))][/math]
[math]a(A) > a(B)[/math]
[math]a(B) < a(A)[/math]
[math]a(i(A, B)) = a(B)/2[/math]
[math]a(i(A, B)) = [a(A) + a(B)]/6[/math]
[math][a(A) + a(B)]/6 = a(B)/2[/math]
[math]6*[a(A) + a(B)]/6 = 6*a(B)/2[/math]
[math]a(A) + a(B) = 3*a(B)[/math]
[math]a(A) + a(B) - a(B) = 3*a(B) - a(B)[/math]
[math]a(A) = 2*a(B)[/math]
[math]2*a(B) = a(A)[/math]

The ratio of the area of the smaller circle to the area of the larger circle is [math]2:1[/math]

this seems ridiculously complicated.
A_i = 0.5(A_s)
A_s + A_b = 6A_i = 6(1/2)(A_s)
A_b = 2A_s

Go to youtube and type in "Steve mould entropy" it is a good explanation without too much rigour.

no

wrong

f(n)=Omega(g(n)) iff exists k>0 s.t. f(n)\geq kg(n) for all sufficiently large n

Let k=0.1

3^n-2^n\geq 0.1*3^n
1-(2/3)^n\geq 0.1 for all n greater than 1000

Therefore 3^n-2^n=Omega(3^n)

Okay, thank you. Yes I did not take any shortcuts.

SO Providencia rettgeri is a bacteria that causes urinary tract infection. My question is what is it exactly doing in the urethra to cause the blood to come out? Is it using the flesh as a source for energy or is the swelling of the growing bacteria causing it?

soft question:

to what extent should I care about being able to visualize mechanical systems "exactly" when thinking about them? Is it important to be able to locate all the faces of something complicated like an engine, exploding it and orbiting it and whatnot? I'm coming from an symbolic logic background where I can get away with simply manipulating symbols on the page to get answers and am starting to get interested in more concrete things like mechanics and physics and was wondering if there is any benefit in attempting to visualize the subject than just approach it like any other formalism. I am going to supplement the mechanics and physics texts with a good book on planar and solid geometry where I actually get to draw pictures of what it is I am thinking about. Any personal experiences on this switching from symbolic to geometric thinking? Any advice from those who work with mechanical systems regularly as to what kind of thinking is most useful?

What are the telltale signs of cancer and the best way to detect it?

I need problems in magnetism. Please help.

Should contain faraday, impedance, inductance, tesla, coils, biotin and savarte, magnetic force, etc.

>/grand-prix-richmond-crackstyle

All these fucking years and I've been seeing his photos, but never ONCE did I ever ever notice the buttcracks. I guess his overwhelming presence kept me from seeing them or its the fact that I see 100s of them each day in this redneck shithole, maybe both.

>reddit memes

>Veeky Forums meme of reddit memes

He posted it all on reddit first where it became a meme before being posted on Veeky Forums.

Why are scientists not in charge of science?
>YOLO

What is the biggest number.

How does classic contradiction work in natural deduction/logic?

Correct. I knew that. It was a test.

I still need my problems tho. (and no homo isn't one) t.

halp

>natural deduction
Versus Hilbert calculus? Exactly the same way, since they prove the same theorems -- precisely the theorems of classical logic. They may use different inference rules, but anything you can prove in one you can prove in the other.

If you meant intuitionistic / constructivist logic, "A and not-A" is still a theorem there, so anything that proves A and not-A (for any A) can be considered to be a contradiction.

A contradiction is a statement of the form [math]p\land\neg p[/math]. In natural deduction, you have your assumptions and want to deduce something out of them, but assume the negation of your goal to deduce the negation of one of your assumptions. Then this assumption is true and false, so you get a contradiction. Since we are classical, that your counterassumption leads to a contradiction proves whatever you were trying to prove.

Are racial differences in intelligence plausible? What probably would you give it? I'm in a psych PhD program and despite the political correctness overtures, most of my colleagues seem to thin it's at least somewhat plausible.

>how the fuck do you do this without knowing the specific heat capacity or anything?
In an adiabatic process P*V^gamma=constant. This gamma is given by the ratio of the two specific heats gamma=C_p/C_v, but in a monoatomic ideal gas it can be proven that gamma=5/3 and for a diatomic ideal gas gamma=7/5.

*probability

3/10 bait, go back to /pol/ and don't come back until you've seen a lecture hall from the inside

I'll take your 3/10 to mean you think there's a 30% probability, which is actually about what I would give it.