What are the best books to:

What are the best books to:

>Improve your memory (with techniques and exercises)

>Learn how to learn and how to study more effectively;

>Lose the fear of learning math

?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/details/adcherenniumdera00capluoft
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

memory palace is the thinking mans memorization technique

I am about 100 chapters into that manga

This

Practice memorizing things and look up guides on how to do it properly by constructing mnemonics.

Depends on what you're learning.

Khan Academy

Keep reading: it is one of the best Manga I have ever encountered. It is a very sensible, mature and warm treatment of humanity, and works with one of the most interesting topics that any kind of artwork can present you: self-improvement.

The most interesting aspects of this manga, in my view, are:

a) The differentiation between a weak person and a Strong person. You see this in the contrast between Matahachi and Musashi. The significant thing that it shows is that both the weak-willed and the strong-willed person suffer with the same maladies and temptations: sexual desire, fear, anxiety, doubt, anger, laziness, envy, egocentrism, etc. The difference is not that the weak presents such problems and the strong is free from them, but rather that the strong person, despite fighting with such mental-spots and spiritual-mud, still keeps moving forward, despite the pain and the several voices that say “stop”. Like an oxen in the muddy rice fields, the strong person keeps walking forward, while the weak person shipwrecks in the ooze, over and over again. Even the strong spirit will sometimes drown for some days or weeks or months in frailty and failure, but it is just a matter of time before he will restart his walk toward the main goal.

b) The second aspect that I admire about this manga is the relation between art (in this case, sword fighting), the ego and self-improvement. It shows that most of us try to become great at some form of art to be able to scream to others that we are the best, that we are important, that we are going to be remembered, that we are above the common list and report of the human souls. We somehow want a stamp of “genius” or “invincible” or “unrivaled” that might set us apart from this organic world, this world of sweat and semen and hair and intestines and excrement and sickness and death. We want to feel that we are more seraphs than primates. The Coat of arms “GENIUS” is what we desire, the signature of our more-than-human status. However, in the end, such obsession with the self will end up corroding our art, making us bitter, nervous, fearful. The will of achieving success for recognition and fame is some kind od sublte poison. The real way to enlightenment is to do something only for the sake of doing it, to do something for ourselves, not for others; to do something because we feel good while doing it; to do something in order to become a better human being (and not to try to surpass humanity).

c) Another interesting thing in the manga is the difference between someone who is naturally more gifted at some art-form (Kojiro) and one who has to learn more by doing it, more by following the thorny and rocky road and vale of seat towards the slow improvement of technique. It is a lesson of how one can achieve great things even in a world where other people seem to be much more capable and gifted.

This themes are discussed several times in the manga, and I find them all very touching. There are hundreds of minor characters, most of them treated with compassion and warm humanity and comprehension.

OP

>memory palace
Please, explain what a "memory palace" is to this ignorant user here.

Some bullshit that they picked up on the BBC show Sherlock.

I don't watch television. Memory palace works and is an ancient technique.

I'm around chapter 200 and the constant comparison between Matahachi and Musashi is becoming annoying to me. I don't see it as the difference between a strong-willed person and a weak-willed person, but more like the cliche "Musashi was destined to greatness since birth, Matahachi was destined to mediocrity since birth"

I disagree. If you pay attention you will see that many times Matahachi and Musashi are faced with similar problems, yet each of them deal with those problems in different ways. Already in the beginning you see how the young men deal differently with the female attention and sexual desire. You can also see Musashi having thoughts that are sometimes similar to Matahachi’s (like his great panic attack and phobia after the first fight with Inshun).

Matahachi is actually quite interesting when we consider that he usually manages to understand what would be necessary to achieve something, what would it take for him to be somebody (he is better than most of the rogues and low-life thugs that the manga presents); he can picture clearly in his head the way to greatness, but what he cant do is to take the steps. How much like most of us is he in this characteristic.

>improve your memory (with techniques and exercises)

Method of loci. Imagine a journey through your childhood home. Each room is associated with an item you want to memorize. e.g. If I want to memorize orange, apple, milk, corn and cereal, I plot a walk through my home as follows: "I walk into the main landing of my house, and the walls are painted bright orange. I try and go up the stairs, but they're blocked by a giant apple. I go around to the back entrance, and find the yard flooded with milk. Thankfully, there is a giant stalk of corn that I use to climb up onto my back balcony. I then go into my kitchen and have a big bowl of cereal.

>Learn how to learn and how to study more effectively

Best way to learn is to use flash cards to constantly drill the knowledge and frequently do problems. You should also find someone to teach your material to. Write your notes as if you were a professor preparing them for a class. Don't have a phone or laptop in your study area unless absolutely necessary. Have a study area that is completely separate from all leisure activities.

>Lose the fear of learning math

Go back to the earliest stages and understand that. You probably don't understand math because your foundations suck.

Holy fuck it works. I read this while imagining it. Went to shit. Came back and recalled the list perfectly. Do you recommend any resources for learning this method?

There's an actual brain hack that lets you memorize passages more quickly

T A A B H T L Y M P M Q

Take a passage and write down the first letter of each word and try to memorize and associate each letter with each word. This way of memorizing is more streamlined and faster.

You're all welcome.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this but learning to multiply large numbers in your head is the answer to all your questions.

1. It is tedious and forces you to hold lots of distinct objects in your mind at once.

2. By virtue of it being tedious you will naturally seek shortcuts.

3. By seeking shortcuts you will eventually develop techniques and methods that apply to other types of tasks.

4. You will immediately see the world and tasks in terms of how much *less* difficult and tedious it is than trying to square a six digit number in your mind. You begin to form a hierarchy of difficulty allowing you to appreciate less tedious tasks. An example, logic become frighteningly simple.

5. By developing a strong grasp of numbers, you will quickly realize how very few people are capable of dealing with them, and begin to see where the whole "math is about concepts" comes from- people's inadequacy at calculation and their methods of finding ways around it at all costs. This will ultimately give you an increase in confidence and decrease in your fear of math and people who are "good" at it.

Warning: People are going to tell you that calculation isn't important and they will always downplay it. Most of the time, these people are already good at calculating and take it for granted, or worse, are just rationalizing their inability. You have to ignore them and trust in the fact that it will make you better at math and reasoning in general.

Thanks guys

Bump for interest

Rhetorica ad Herennium
archive.org/details/adcherenniumdera00capluoft

And you get to learn some rhetoric as well. For the deep cuts try Giordano Bruno.

>>Learn how to learn and how to study more effectively;

The secret trick is to actually read the material in the textbook. Read it slowly, only progressing to the next sentence after you understand the sentence you just read. This is the ultimate study technique. Also, flash cards for memorization.

Oakley: A mind for numbers
Foer: Moonwalking with Einstein
Brown: Make it stick
Devlin: Introduction to mathematical thinking
Carey: How we learn

Also, have you checked out Learning How to Learn course on Coursera yet? It's surprisingly good and seems right up your alley.

I recommend you enroll in the coursera course - How to learn. is a good course with a lot of techniques, information and other things. it's very interesting

>Oakley: A mind for numbers
>Foer: Moonwalking with Einstein
>Brown: Make it stick

OP here. I was actually with those books on my wish list on Amazon.

Nice to see that I was actually selecting some nice options.

>I recommend you enroll in the coursera course - How to learn.

Can you to the course online?

>Also, have you checked out Learning How to Learn course on Coursera yet? It's surprisingly good and seems right up your alley.

Thnak you. I will look for it.

>And you get to learn some rhetoric as well.

I love rhetoric, especially metaphors and similes. I am a great fan of poetry and Shakespeare.

just read Veeky Forums at least for 4 hours per day and everything will be nice

>learning to multiply large numbers in your head is the answer to all your questions.
How would I go about doing this? Do I just visualize long multiplication?

>Can you to the course online?
Yes you can.

This manga is a masterpiece. I love it with all my heart.

By hand, by distributing the expanded form of number, then sorting and summing the expanded form of the products one line at a time until you arrive at the expanded form of product, i.e.

731*935 -> (700+30+1)(900+30+5) -> (700)(900) + ... (1)(5) -> 600000 + 30000 + ... 5 -> 600000 + 80000 + 3000 + 400 + 80 + 5

Like I said, it is tedious, but once you get used to it, you will quickly see how easy it is because there is no carrying and you just have to know your times tables and be able to sum numbers. Besides, you get to see the "guts" of numbers more clearly when you do it this way.

日本語で読もうよ。

Since there is some talking about manga in this thread, let me recommend this one about the life of the Buddha. Some of it is fictional, yet it is a very warm, humane and compassionate portrayal of the man. It is a great food for the mind.