Mathematics for beginners

How do i learn math if i'm shit at arithmetic.
I know how to calculate all the things, just doing it out of my head takes ages and have to count few times.
I want to get up to Algebra before next year so i can learn computer science math.
Basically never "learned" math at young age and have to learn everything from the start which kinda sucks.

Other urls found in this thread:

hbpms.blogspot.com/
Veeky
docdroid.net/8n7ojRq/secrets-of-mental-math-benjamin-a-shermer-m-2006.pdf.html
cabrillo.edu/~lsimcik/Math 152 Textbook.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Just use a calculator for the arithmetic. Spending years practicing multiplication tables isn't actually worth it.

Khanacademy

yea no. Dont be one of those kids that can't answer basic questions because they dont know their multiplication table or can do long division.

Here's an updated version

OP here, indeed i want to learn multiplication tables but how would one learn that at age of 24.

Start with the Greeks.

Mental arithmetic isn't actually an important for higher maths. Just start with, say, some introductory text in linear algebra

"How to Become a Pure Mathematician (or Statistician)"[1] is kind of the go to for autodidacts trying to learn mathematics online. He offers lots of different choices for books relating to each subject, highlights all of the classics, and lays out coursework that will take you from high school level all the way to a graduate level. If you follow his course to the letter you'd be ready for graduate work by the end.

[1] hbpms.blogspot.com/

That blog is gold.

thanks!

Jech also co-authored an intro Set Theory book. I found it much more accessible. I plan on reading Set Theory afterwards.

Is this just an advanced meme here? You can't possibly think this is list is actually legit for someone learning math from scratch, or even legit for any purpose at all desu,

Im pretty sure that out of all people posting textbook lists here, not a single one has read a single book from those lists. just wtf

Yo obviously know shit all about mathematics, perhaps this is a bit of an advanced list, and the less mathematically prepared reader (read: american) could do with a bit of hartshorne's elementary level book on algebra and geometry before tackling Introductory Geometry but it's overall a very sound list.

Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Math_Textbook_Recommendations#Preschool_.28Arithmetic.29

Don't bother getting fast at anything beyond 2 digit arithmetic. Then do Gelfand's books along with Lang's book and you'll be ready for Calculus.

It is.

Enjoy. Make sure to report back every once in a while.

So you're supposed to read all of those books are like 2 or 3 each stage?

I'm trying to be better at arithmetic too, I'm 100 pgs into this book and learned some cool things to calculate faster.

Do you have PDF?

everyone misses the women's studies meme embedded in there.

lol'd heartily

>applications
none of those applications seem useful except the physics.
How do i know this is not just a meme?

Lost it at Mochizuki

>implying physics is useful

>what is engineering?
>what is quantum mechanics?
>what is astronomy, rocketry, etc?

This torrent has the book included and many more Math textbooks. Just uncheck anything that isn't Math or "Self-improvement" If you just want the book alone, here >docdroid.net/8n7ojRq/secrets-of-mental-math-benjamin-a-shermer-m-2006.pdf.html

Already downloading this... whole thing.

>How do i learn math if i'm shit at arithmetic.
That statement doesnt make any sense.
Mathematics has very little to do with arithmetic.

It is an entirely unnecessary skill and rarely every useful, because a computer is ALWAYS better then you when it comes to arithmetic.
Abstract thinking and problem solving it is significantly more important.

It is though in schools because teachers are shit and it is a lot easier to explain how to multiply things then to do real mathematics.

OP, read Langs ''Basic Math''

>"Local Fields" under "Farming" and "Homology" under "Queer Studies"
Nah, it's definitely legit

You don't need to all that shit. Pic related is much better and faster

>Abstract thinking and problem solving it is significantly more important.
Any book recommendations?

I really dont know any that would help someone who is a beginner, but something like "how to prove it" or "book of proof" (which probably isn't well suited for someone with no clue about math, but have a look the pdf is available for free online) have by far more to do with mathematics then simply adding and dividing numbers in your head.

cabrillo.edu/~lsimcik/Math 152 Textbook.pdf

Here's a free Algebra textbook. Use Khan Academy for any topic you dont understand after reading and attempting practice problems.

If there's something you don't understand, keep trying to solve it. Math is cumulative. Anything you skip will bite you in the ass someday.

>Divine Proportions
What an awful image.

>anything you skip will bite you in the ass someday

Mfw born extremely gifted with mathematical reasoning, lost intrest in an early age and as soon as we moved past arithmetic I fell behind because that lack of intrigue and debilitating ADHD, eventually when I started conceptualizing the anthropocene I because extremely depressed and stopped going into school all together, I was always reading but I never got to where I am now, stuck crying because I cannot understand the theoretical science that I find most interesting.
Any decent education would have failed me but I somehow got enough credits to graduate highschool. No child left behind. I'm a philosopher now

Algebra chapter 0 didnt give it away sooner?

HAHAHA brainlet

ADHD doesn't exist. It's just a meme dumb americans invented to excuse their stupidity/ laziness and lack of discipline.

Why the fuck do those radicals look like spoons?
This tickles my autism

Id agree that the diagnosis is a complete meme but there is a real underlying condition that has do do with atypical brain structure/chemistry in the areas of the brain responsible for exucutive function and attention. There is evidence (see: Hunter v farmer hypothesis) that genes associated with ADHD lead to higher fitness in Hunter gather societies and the opposite for sessile cultures as seen in a case study of traditional/industrialized members of a tradtionally nomadic tribe somewhere around the Sahara if I remember correctly, the genetics were much more prevalent in nomadic populations and the overall level of health and affluence has higher. I imagine it is expressed through gentic accommodation with ecosystem interactions either when a child grows up in an agrarian type environment or a human type environment or both neither idk it's just a guess, and that it is also inheritable.
Either way it shouldn't be a disorder it's just another ethological-ecological-morphological mismatch. It's really the failing of an "education"(read:mass indoctornation) system. I would be fucked if I didn't spend the majority of my time learning for fun. I have a very hard time focusing on anything that doesn't absorb my attention. Fuck of with that bait bitchboy

And anyways my brain as been regularly saturated with amphetamines since It was 6 lol like that's helped

If you just read the classics that he highlights in each section then you'll read only a few for each stage. That's still a ton of work.

D E L E T
E
L
E
T

I have a professional diagnosis for ADHD and can testify to this. I can't sit still for shit and tend to be impulsive to the point where i often get in trouble.
I'm thinking of joining a tribe so that i can get Veeky Forums.

jesus this image is amazing

The reason people fail algebra is because they think you need to memorize shit when two seconds of common sense would give you the same answer except obviously for the general 2nd degree formula. But hey, that's just one formulua.

just complete the square and solve for x

Women's studies gets me every time

>women's studies
>lie theory
Fucking kek.