STUDY METHODS

Post your algorithm for maximum brain gains.

Perhaps some prompts might be:
>note taking strategies
>how to review for upcoming finals/ retaining what you've learned
>frequency and volume of study sessions
>usage of latex
>keeping homework and notes from previous classes/books
>tips and tricks to make it more enjoyable

Other urls found in this thread:

geometry.org/tex/conc/mathlearn.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Whom are you quoting?

aren't asians suppose to be lactose intolerant?

>Whom
it's 'Whomever'

>Whomever
It's 'whomsoever'.

>whomsoever
it's "whomst'soever'd"

I photoshop important formulae, theorems and notes etc onto pics of qt girls with qt feet so while im masturbating i am studying.

I laughed out loud.

same, works 9.999999.../10 times

>aren't asians suppose to be lactose intolerant?
Not if it's human semen.

>identify material that I need to know
>run through general concepts
>run through specifics of general concepts
>along the way ask: "Do I understand X?"
>If yes: keep going
>If not: focus efforts on X
>Repeat until satisfied

Look up Cornell note taking system. Amazing thing.

This actually sounds like a good idea. Am I retarded for considering trying this?

i get distracted really easily, so i have to switch my study to a different subject about every 15-20 minutes, so it'll go like this
>subject A (15-20 mins)
>subject B (15-20 mins)
>subject C (15-20 mins)
>break (15-20 mins)

sounds pomodoro-esque

I do this method here: geometry.org/tex/conc/mathlearn.html
plus every night i record a quick rundown of what I learnt for the day (usually study 3 topics at once). I also record for myself a slow walk-up of everything I learnt about a topic after I finish a book on it and every 2-3 months or so review all the mathematics I've learned so far (That I can remember). I also like to do lots and lots of problems especially in topics which I have already finished learning. I do all the self-discussion stuff because that's really how I learn best, but I rarely discuss it with other people because I don't go to uni. That's about it. It's working pretty well, though I'm naturally a very lazy person so my studies started off pretty slow.

this is a nice one

huh?

This

I'm very easily distracted too, but in the opposite kind of way.
>subject A (5 hours, no breaks)
I become unfocused and unmotivated once I switch subject, so I just study one subject intensively. The time most people use to take breaks from studying, I have a monologue with myself about the subject I've studied as if I'm teaching it to somebody else, making me know what I need to work extra on if I start to fumble around a topic.

>Whom are you quoting
is this guy a troll posting the same shit in every thread with greentext?

I use a drawing tablet for images, formulas and proofs. I use misschief on windows and mypaint on linux.

Speed is everything so I don't mess around with typesetting to much. I just try to make sure my drawings are readable.

>how to review for upcoming finals/ retaining what you've learned
Do you're homework full throughout the semester. Don't miss any.
Make sure you understand it 100%
This is key, but it's also very difficult for most people including myself.

Always, ALWAYS, study with a group of your peers.
It is much easier to understand concepts when someone is there to explain them.
If you have no friends or are too shy, go to office hours.

>tips and tricks to make it more enjoyable
Find a good professor with experience who can offer insight into the industry.
Watch videos or do projects in your chosen field in your free time (summer vacation).

>trying that hard just to end up in industry

you cant be srs brainlet...

when i take notes i worry more about actually doing the process of writing, as i find that helps me commit an idea into memory better. when i review for a terst i generally read the basics of how to solve a certain function, either find practice problems in a textbook or online, and solve them. if im still not comfortable, ill go through the chapter im having issues with, reread it and take notes on it again. if i ever have an idea im absolutely stumped on ill talk to my professor about it. i dont think ive ever studied physical notes ive ever taken outside of class, except when it comes to page numbers that might be of interest. depending on the class and how comfortable i am with the ideas being taught, anywhere from 1 hour a week to 4 hours a day. im not into BDSM. i keep notes but i dont think ive ever studied them after my class is done. math kicks ass so i dont need anything else to find it fun.

Kind of. I will try it anyway though.

>tips and tricks to make learning more enjoyable
Deep fantasy about yourself applying whatever you are learning to do incredible things.
Protip: don't get lost

>look at question, don't understand it
>drift between rereading the question, checking lecture notes and browsing websites
>over the course of several minutes it gradually becomes clearer until I've answered it
>at this point it seems absurdly trivial and I can't imagine what it would be like to read the question and *not* immediately understand/answer it

Just accept that most of your pattern-matching wetware is unconscious, and you need to look at the topic until some corner of your brain boots up, breezes through the problem and drip-feeds you the resulting comprehension.

I might start doing this next semester since I dropped the ball this semester and am slated to just barely pass thermodynamics.

I've always kinda struggled with note taking myself. I can never figure out a good way to organize things