Genetics/Ancestry tests

What can Veeky Forums tell me about genetics/ancestry type tests? Are such tests accurate? Which company do you prefer? I asked an anthropology Prof. at my school and he recommended "23 And Me". I'd really like to try and find out since my ancestry past 3 or four generations is really something of a mystery.

Also discuss or post your results here if you've already taken one.

I want to take one. 23 and me seems quite popular and good, but I kinda want my whole genome sequenced and not just popular SNPs.

so 23 and me doesn't give you that information?

It's good if you have predominantly European ancestry. The level of detail for the Native American ancestry side of things is ridiculously board. It literally just says if your ancestors were from N or S America. I mean, I get why it's like that, since they don't study those groups as much, but just a word of warning to those who might be thinking of buying a test. Since I'm a geneticist I was thinking of getting a test and asking for the raw SNP data so I can comb through it myself, but if you're a layperson I'd say to wait a few years until something better comes along.

It's a cheap SNP panel.

A genome costs a thousand dollars...

You can download the raw data and upload it to a site like GEDmatch which is much more detailed for non europeans.

do all the companies give you that option?

Your antrhopology professor is a pseud. Either that or he thinks you are an imbecile. 23 and me is horrible. It's a fucking joke.

>Your antrhopology professor is a pseud
He seems to rarely know what he's talking about, and to answer basic questions about his assignments Thanks for the heads up.

Do these kinds of tests accurately differentiate between paternal and maternal ancestry?

he can't answer basic questions*

No, you would need a methylation assay to determine which genes came from which parent. You can link your parents' accounts to your account on 23 and me if they take the test too, though, and then I think it might tell you something. I haven't tried that though because I never got the test taken even though my parents did.

Don't know about South Americans, but North Americans are notoriously opposed to DNA testing since they view it as another encroachment of the white man telling them what to do, which is a stance that makes perfect sense from their point of view but from a geneticist's point of view it must be pretty frustrating.

>you would need a methylation assay to determine which genes came from which parent.
wut

Because of genomic imprinting.

From what I understand most of these companies do it by having you rub a q-tip on the inside of your cheek...? What if you have a fungus problem on the inside of your cheeks; would that affect results? Will I come back 20% lichen?

How is ancestryDOTcom? They seem to be the most favored one.

>23 and me is horrible. It's a fucking joke.
elaborate

Only some genes are imprinted... You should probably refresh your genetics knowledge.

Who gets gassed first, me or OP?

how does this compare to what you thought your results would be?

I thought I'd have more European DNA because of my facial features and my mother's side of the family. Not much but not this low.
If just one person was removed from the family tree and replaced with someone else then I wouldn't exist.
So it didn't bother me when I looked at the results just mildly surprised me.

>0.1% sub saharan african

I'm so sorry user...

These tests are mass consumption products made for the sole purpose of telling your fake internet social circle that you are 2.3% Sumerian.

Only normies will actually think any of this is interesting, let alone scientifically relevant to anything at all.

>Wow, can you actually believe all humans don't actually have a single ancestry, but rather a complex and intricate genealogy reflecting population dynamics and exchanges spanning more than a hundred thousand years?!

Aren't these based just around an analysis of your haplotypes and then simply comparing them to the haplotypes of major populations to see the proportions and how much yours fit?

But we know the haplotypes now, not how they were in the past so if Im from the mediterranean but have African genes I wouldn't actually be from Africa just something that today is correlated with Africa?

This guy gets it.

These tests portray populations as if they were static entities. They're also probably based on HapMap/1000 Genomes which are small samples when considering genomes from all over the world.

>what I have sperm on cheek
>would that affect results? would I come back 90% African?

Here is mine.

My reaction:
>Eastern European, no surprise
>French/German, okay I knew French, but my dad kept saying Austrian
>I'm Italian?
>Mongolian, WTF?

My mom and dad said I was
>slovak
>serbian
>croatian
>french
>polish
>austrian
>hungarian

putting it out there that if you have a history of IBD you can get a free 23&me test. I did it and it was fairly interesting. it's like a somewhat accurate horoscope.