Is quantum immortality possible?

Is quantum immortality possible?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=00CK8XC3P_k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

shoot yourself and find out

There's no evidence whatsoever of the quantum many worlds hypothesis. You're just as likely to kill yourself and end up in Hell or something

I do believe in hell, but that's another matter.

The concepts of hell, which implies the existence of an immortal soul, would be mutually exclusive with the concept of quantum immortality

Quantum immortality can be achieved by sending a constant stream of information to your past self.
The problems involved are: how do you send information to the past, and what message do you send?

For sending messages back though time, I saw a documentary (arrow of time I think) which said it's theoretically possible to use VERY powerful lasers arranged in a spiral/funnel shape to generate a gravity field which would allow you to send single photons back in time.

Now, a single photon isn't much bandwidth so the message you send back needs to be VERY simple. However, a simple 1 or 0 should be enough information to achieve quantum immortality. A literal dead man's switch if you will. You rig the machine to transmit photos constantly, and you need to reset a timer (length of timer is debatable) for it to keep sending photons. If at any time you're dead, incapacitated, or unable to hit that reset switch, the machine stops sending photons in the past, and your past self knows something is wrong. Your past self would simply change their behavior.
If that doesn't work, your past self keeps chainging their behavior. If that doesn't work, your past self keeps changing their behavior. If that doesn't work, your past self keeps changing their behavior. add infinitum.... Eventually, your past self will change their behavior in a way so your future self is in a position where it can hit the reset timer. At which point, all but one those realities where you were changing your behavior cease to exist, and you're left with a reality where you avoided your death by doing 1 thing out of character.
All this is achieved with a simple 1 or 0 state.

Link to documentary so I can discredit it please.

There is but one key to eternal life.

youtube.com/watch?v=00CK8XC3P_k

quntum immortality is impossible and is only ever espoused by brainlets who know nothing about physics.

got it right, Jesus is the key to immortality, anything else will not work.

XD

this is why i come here

Not believing in Allah the almighty

>black keyboard
Gross

YOU AREN'T ME! I don't like anime and I'm pretty straight edge.

you can become god if you're really lucky

Elaborate a random experiment where the issue is either you dying or surviving, with a probability of surviving below 5 sigmas.
If you survive you can prove to your new timeline with 5sigma certainty quantum immortality is real.

>People on this board genuinely believe in the concept of a soul
>They don't think consciousness is an emergent behavior of the brain.
Oh im laffin

And what is the universe an emergent behaviour of? God.

that assumes that it is possible to send messages to the past

which it isn't

It's theoretically possible with lasers that are strong enough.

quantum immortality is functionally impossible because there is literally no scenario where you can live forever. quantum longetivity, entirely possible, but the string will eventually end.

if you point that gun at your head, and you do this in 100% of scenarios, and it goes off in every single one of those scenarios, you just killed yourself.

time is a measurement of change and it only goes one way. forward time travel only works because you can make your atoms wobble really, really fast. reverse time travel is impossible.

Do you even know what a closed timelike loop even is?

Say even again.

Shut up you kike I'm tired

That's not what he was implying dumbfuck.

It would be pretty difficult to prove, if not impossible.

Wouldn't people in our timeline already be confirming (or at least claiming) that they died in another timeline before somehow being here?

No, because they died in your timeline. They survived in theirs.

How does that work for the individual? Would I die in other peoples' timelines but live in my own? Or is there just a Me Prime somewhere that lives in his timelines independent of my survival?

Look bro idk it's just comforting.

I recommend finding religion senpai.
It's just as verifiable as quantum immortality and the support community is way bigger.

>people on this board are internalists
>they think that the mind is a behavior of the brain and not a remembered experience that the brain computes
Wew lad

The science checks out, the blacks have invented time travel

>inb4 racist white people try to discredit them

This machine can only send signals back in time, but 2 way communication with the future IS POSSIBLE, by using a time capsule.

The future would need to send the coordinates of a location to bury the time capsule. The future would send binary data back to communicate with the past. The past, would log their reply or questions for the future and the future would read it later when they dug up the time capsule.

The real weird shit happens when this communication log in the time capsule is a complete log, with both ends of the conversation recorded. When people in the future dug it up, they'd be reading a conversation, they have yet to have. And when they try to communicate with the past, everything the future would want to say would already be recorded and sitting right in front of them. It'd be like reading from a script. The question I wonder is, could you diverge from this prerecorded 'script' or would some force, make you say those lines.

It does not.

t. racists

It's the only logical conclusion to the "afterlife" problem. Fedorafags always dismiss religious shit because it's illogical, but the fact of the matter is that never waking up from unconsciousness is just as illogical.

This is wrong. If the collapse phenomenon is just SE and not independent multiple world's is a mathematical inevitability stemming from SE

what if it's impossible to change your behaviour to prevent the reset, like an asteroid smashing into the Earth or something out of your control

If it was possible, then there should be someone who lived much longer than ours in our own reality.

Since there are none, we can conclude that there aren't parallel realities that quantum mechanics predicts.

>never waking up from unconsciousness is just as illogical
How so?

People in ancient times used to live up to 800+ years. It's after we started genetic engineering and other harmful technologies that we started dying much younger.

>probability my consciousness will remain intact is positive at every arbitrary instant

Very interesting question that kinda relates to entropy.

How many states exist in the multi verse where your body is fully intact and alive? Does the number of these states decrease overtime, like in entropy, or is the multi verse truly infinite?
If it's truly infinite, then your quantum immortality machine will give you true immortality in the sense you'll never die of anything, including old age, with the machine turned on. I imagine the universe as you recognize it would get weirder and weirder the more times you averted death, as you find more unique and unusual ways to avoid natural causes of death and freak of nature accidents like asteroids hitting the earth.
For instance, just before the asteroid hits, you and you alone are abducted by aliens in an attempt to preserve your species or some weird shit like that.

quantum immortality exists in the hearts of loved ones :)

dying isn't a fucking random process
why are people so retarded

Someone doesn't understand the concept of infinity. If the many worlds theory is to be taken literally, there is a universe for every possible outcome of every possible situation. If there is any chance that the gun could malfunction, even if its 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% (Protip: the odds are a lot better than that), it hapened in some "alternate timeline". Infinite timelines means no matter how small the odds, theres a timeline for that. Quantum sucide is just the theory that your consciousness is always in the timeline where the outcome of any given scenario results in you continuing to live until the odds reach zero. If you live to be the oldest person on earth, chances are quantum sucide "theory" is real. Too bad you wont be able to tell anyone, because all your friends consciousnesses exist in the timeline(s) where your mother made the right choice and aborted you.

A gun malfunctioning has literally nothing to do with quantum micro-states. Fucking pop-sci memer.

This is about as meaningful as saying "wow maybe I'll tunnel through that wall if I push against it". Which is not at all.

>Protip: the odds are a lot better than that
Protip: no they are not.

Or the are infinitely many parallel timelines and the odds of humans living past 80-90 years is infinitesimally small. Your consiousness takes a different timeline than everyone elses at 90 and eventually you are 900 years old but every other human in your timeline has had their consiousness leave that timeline long ago. They all look and behave like real humans, there would be no way for you to tell the difference, but they are all just empty shells. They arent really experiencing anything. Again as with the last user i replied to you seem to not understand the concept of infinity. If the scenario I described were fact we would be statistically very lucky if anyone in our timeline ever lived to be rediculously old. Its funny how some religious nuts claim this to be the case in the days of old because it would kind of support the idea of quantum suicide. Too bad religious people are real adamant about not backing up their claims with evidence that isnt a book of fairytales.

Its doesnt have to brainlet. Thats not what quantum suicide "theory" is about. Im not saying its true, its just a thought that i like to entertain. And yes the odds of a gun malfunctioning are a lot higher than one umptillionth of one percent. Do you even statistics bro?

>And yes the odds of a gun malfunctioning are a lot higher than one umptillionth of one percent.
Given a certain macro-state, no they are not. If a gun is in working order it will work pretty much no matter which kind of random quantum fluctuation happens.

That's what you fucking pop-sci mouthbreathers can't understand. When we talk of probabilities in quantum pyhysics we are talking about specific wave-function distributions. We are not talking about anthropic narrative possibilities like "this gun will work/this gun will not work".

How would you cause yourself to be abducted to avoid death? Your time message plan relys on you being able to intently change the outcome of the event that killed you. What are you going to do to avoid the heart attack that eventually kills you?

Ok first off, they have conducted the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment with entire molecules. So whos to say that quantum wave functions dont apply to macroscopic systems but they is in a constant state of observation (external systems interacting with them) so the wave function is always collapsed. Im aware this probably isnt the case but who really knows. And second, yes there is always a chance that the round you put in said gun was a dud (blasting cap was a dud/placed wrong, gunpowder missing, weak spot in the casing flares out under less pressure than is required to eject the round, etc). If what you said is true every trigger ever pulled on a cocked, loaded weapon in the history of time would result in a bullet being fired. We know this isnt the case. Lastly, im not saying quantum suicide is real, in fact it more than likely isnt. It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. I just like thinking about this in a sci-fi sort of fantasy way.

Oh and one more thing, the "theory"(note the use of quotes on every instance of the word theory in all of my posts) of quantum suicide has nothing to do with quantum states effecting the system that kills you. Its a bit of a misleading title but the only thing it shares with QM is the idea of multiple realities.

Ya just got served champ.

>Ok first off, they have conducted the delayed choice quantum eraser experiment with entire molecules. So whos to say that quantum wave functions dont apply to macroscopic systems
Try to buzzword harder, you're only showing your lack of understanding.

>blasting cap was a dud/placed wrong, gunpowder missing, weak spot in the casing flares out under less pressure than is required to eject the round, etc
NONE OF THOSE ARE QUANTUM MICRO-STATES. THOSE ARE NOT THE RESULTS OF RANDOM QUANTUM FLUCTUATIONS

The quantum dead man's switch works under the same principals as machine learning. A computer does random stuff till it gets a slightly desirable result and logs what actions it took, the repeats till it achieves a goal. The computer isn't intentionally deciding what actions to take to achieve it's goal. It does it algorithmically.

Same applies to you. You don't need to intelligently decide how to avoid your death. You just need to do something different every time you fail to press the reset button. Eventually you'll do something which will prevent your death. Of course this all hinges on you doing something different or random each and every time you fail to hit the reset. Chaos theory/butter fly effect helps here a little bit. The more time you have (between receiving the signal of a failed reset and next time you're scheduled to hit reset) the greater the butterfly effect your random actions will have and the more randomness it'll produce.

How many times have you been to the range? How often do you research fire arms? Hate to pull the /k/ard, but you have no idea and you're on your soapbox acting like you do

Nigger, guns are not quantum measurement devices. It's amazing how you're able to give your uninformed opinion about quantum physics when you don't understand that.

that is one fucked up buttplug

>buzzwords, you cant know nuffin!
Not a rebuttal.

>NONE OF THESE ARE QUANTUM MICRO STATES HURRR
no shit sherlock hence
>Oh and one more thing, the "theory"(note the use of quotes on every instance of the word theory in all of my posts) of quantum suicide has nothing to do with quantum states effecting the system that kills you. Its a bit of a misleading title but the only thing it shares with QM is the idea of multiple realities.

You are clearly retarded. So im going to leave the conversation here. Have a nice day.