Why do we write sin^2(x) instead of sin(x)^2

Why do we write sin^2(x) instead of sin(x)^2

What is the reason? Is there even a good reason? If there's not, why the fuck don't we stop doing it that way?

Other urls found in this thread:

maa.org/external_archive/devlin/LockhartsLament.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

BECAUSE ITS THE SAME FUCKING THING AND IT LOOKS BETTER THE FIRST WAY

Its harder to differentiate sin(x^2) from sin(x)^2

Because some people write sin x and then when you write sin x^2 then it's unclear what you mean

Actually sin^2(x)=sin(sin(x)), but thanks for playing.

Only brainlets wonder about these things. They always wonder about notation and why things are named a certain way. Truly disgusting.

WRONG

sin^2(x) = ( sin(x) ) ^2

YOU HAVE TO GO BACK

Only brainlets care about keeping notation consistent and obvious for learning children? Tbh a large portion of the difficulty children have in learning math is completely based on weird notations

We could teach faster if we used better notations. This is one bad notation, pi instead of tau is another, log vs. power vs. sqrt is another, they're all retarded notations and if we used better ones these concepts could be taught quickly and intuitively then the teachers could move on and teach harder stuff

>teach

Notation is not the reason why kids dislike math and grow up not even knowing what it is user.

maa.org/external_archive/devlin/LockhartsLament.pdf

That is a great essay but it doesn't support your point at all

I'm suggesting getting away from these weird syntax idiosyncracies and coming up with a generalized, easy to understand syntax so you DON'T have to care about whether your note stems point the wrong way because it will be obvious

I think this guy's got it. It's a common shorthand to write easily recognizable functions like trig functions and base-e or base-10 logarithms without parentheses around their arguments. There's an understanding that "lnx" is the natural logarithm of x, but if you want to square that function, you lose the shorthand if you want to put the square operator after the x.

No love for dynamics, I see.

sin(π/2) = 1

sin^2(π/2) = 1^2 = 1

sin(sin(π/2)) = sin(1) = 1 - 1/6 + 1/120 - 1/5040 + ... ≈ 0.8415

>tfw niggers take over sci
I remember when this board used to be good, go back to 7th grade you retards.

>I remember when this board used to be good

No you dont.

Some people consider one of the professors in my uni an outsider because he always, ALWAYS writes parentheses around every function, citing "being around computers a lot" as the reason for this. Because, you know, void function f(x);

Abuse of notation fucked me up a lot. I hate it. Either you choose to express with natural language and then accept imprecision, either you use proper formal language.

Saying that keeping notation consistent is useless is the same as thinking grammar and orthograph are pointless if you get the point. This is the path to degeneracy, where abuse of abusive notation comes.

Because some people write sin(x) as sinx and if you put the ^2 after, they will confuse it.

sin^2x ,sin^2(x) is mostly enforced in schools, they see that a lot of students make the same mistake so they do this to avoid it.

Functions really are a mathematical construct ported over to more general use in programming, though. Whereas sin(x) might be implemented as a Taylor series and factorial(x) might do the expected operation, you can also have things like things like sort(x) to sort a vector x, cout(x) to character-output x onto the screen, or update(x) to calculate the next frame of a simulation object x.

I prefer calling programming routines "method" and keep functions for maths.

Methods are functions that are bound to an object. It doesn't make since to call a function a method if there's no underlying class.

Like you wouldn't say method when talking about C, you'd say function cause C doesn't even have objects.

You're literally retarded and probably don't belong here if you can't see even a possible reason why.

>tfw figured out how to make this
Nice little challenge

Oops forgot to make it repeat.

Also came across this while trying to figure it out.

don't they all just move with d = sin(t)?

Kind of, but you have to figure out the right offsets for t and the points between which the dots travel between.

Wow thanks reddit this is great! upboat!

It's a shit thread who cares

[math]\sin\left( x^2 \right)[/math] and [math]\left( \sin\,x \right)^2[/math].
How hard is it, physicists?

fuck everyone who writes functions without parentheses

Never code.

>sin^2(x)=sin(sin(x))

True patrician choice right here.

Trigonometers need to learn to use parentheses.

I do. It was about two weeks ago.

Better question is why do some people write sin^-1(x) when they mean arcsin(x). It is ambiguous, it can mean 1/sin(x).

>tfw dumb at math
>tfw there are dumber people than me
Feels good

[math] sin^{-1}(x) [/math] is the inverse sine function.

You contributed literally nothing to what I said. arcsin(x) is the inverse sine function. sin^-1(x) could mean inverse sin(x) or 1/sin(x)

Why would I write (sin(x))^(-1) or 1/sin(x) when I could just write csc(x)?

I don't care what you write or why, doesn't change the facts about what I said.