Help an user choose a PhD

So Veeky Forums here's my dilema: I'm a chemistry major, and I'm two years away from graduating. I've been thinking on what I should do my PhD on and I'm honestly stumped. I've always been sure I wanted to do research on drugs and medicine, for which the obvious choices would be organic chemistry and biochemistry but to be honest these fields, at least at the undergrad level, seem way too mathless and I'll be fucked if I learn all this math (which I genuinely enjoy) not just not use it later.
So, what chemistry related fields can I enter where I can get my fill of maths and also be able to work on medication/drug development.

sounds like chemical engineering would be a good path if you want more mathematics involved

Not really all that interested in CE, like I said I want to work developing medications.

>I'll be fucked if I learn all this math (which I genuinely enjoy) not just not use it later.

Freudian slip.

If you are that concerned about having a marketable PhD to employers, then its obvious you should pick a topic with practical application, ideally with a industry sponsored placement.

why not switch to pure maths and become godlike ?

That is one of the jobs for ChemE's dipshit, making pharmaceuticals in NJ and Massachusetts

Couple things.

First off, you are 2 years from graduating...meaning you probably haven't even taken many upper division classes in your field. You might not even want grad school, it's wayyyy too early to decide.

Secondly, a PhD is not for you if you can't decide what you want to do it in. You don't decide you want a phd, then pick the field. Phds are for people who love their field so much they want to give up 5+ years of their life and income to do ground breaking research in it.

Also you can do pharmaceutical research with a BS or MS, no need for a phd.

Where do you live? I am in chemistry but switching to engineering because getting into R&D requires either an masters or a bachelors (provided its in engineering)

California.

But I should let you know that my field is math, not chemistry. The last sentence I said is not from personal experience, but from friends of mine that are in that field.

Easy user, because pure maths doesn't make you godlike.

Look into computational biochemistry. It heavily uses Molecular dynamics and density functional theorey to model proteins and their ligands in ways that are unfeasible for experimentalists.
Biophysical Chemistry is also an option if you want more mathematics
Enzymology (kinetics and thermodynamics of enzymes) at least uses a good deal of calculus to derive rate models for specific enzyme mechanisms
Crystallography is gearing up to get replaced by Cryo-EM and has most of the calculations done automatically, but is heavily based in calculating electron density from x-Ray diffraction

I have seen grad school programs in applied math departments in which they do research on medicine. I think it falls under the umbrella of mathematical biology. It's a mathematically intense field. Not sure how easy it is to get into such a program though if you're not a math major.

I looked into it as a math major looking into grad programs. Ultimately, I couldn't get myself to jump into applied math and chose pure math instead.

Thanks for the response

Organic chemistry isn't just making shit and learning about biological applications. In fact, organic chemistry is an excellent way to test certain physical ideas on a real-life chemical system. I would look into modern day physical organic chemistry and see if anything piques your interest.

Yo, Chemistry user here.
I highly recommend (you mentioned math skills) doing analytics. Incorporate that with drug solubility, and you've got a beautiful, respected, and high-in-demand doctoral thesis.

Trust me.

You should quit doing chemistry because it's a shitty field.

Please. The hell do you know? You're not in the "in" group.
Please kill yourself now.

>Chemistry user
I'd rather take financial advice from biz or political advice from pol than academic advice from a chemist.

Analytical chemistry with a on drug detection.

Understanding the tonnes of LC-MS variations and optical methods like CRDS/CEAS should appease the maths aspect; while still doing chemistry.

focus on drug detection*

Biophysical chemistry seems interesting, I'll look into that.
Same with physical organic chemistry. Thanks for the advice user.
Analytical chemistry focused on what I want to do research on, huh? Not a bad ideas anons, thanks for the advice
>Phds are for people who love their field so much they want to give up 5+ years of their life and income to do ground breaking research in it.

You misunderstand user, I already have a pretty good idea of what I want to do, I want to do research on drug development. I just want to do it from a perspective where I can utilize math more.

Bruh there are fuck tons of ChemE programs with research focused with medical applications. Go to any departments website and look at the research they're doing.

The plumbers need some folks that actually understand chemistry to help them out, you could do some good work in a ChemE program