Elon Musk's Neuralink

twitter.com/waitbutwhy/status/855156813884514304

Other urls found in this thread:

waitbutwhy.com/2017/04/neuralink.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I just read the whole thing. I'm getting some serious Human Instrumentality Project vibes from it.

Man, if only they read Veeky Forums they would realize how wrong they are.

That was long winded garbage.

not done with it but some of this is incorrect.

Which bits?

Godspeed Muskman.

It gets understandably hand wavey when it talks about Neuralink and the tech it intends to build. I just cant imagine BCIs improving that rapidly and becoming that ubiquitous that fast. There would have to be some god tier genius people in Neuralink to do that, and if they were that good they would just create their own company instead of joining one. I wish Neuralink luck either way.

Btw, that his sections up to Neuralink were pretty good.

Christ that was long. Interesting though. The only thing is that I can't see this being developed before advanced AI, so the points he makes about interfacing with AI seem redundant.

So it's just pop science shit?

Yeah, but Musk is /our guy/

I don't see it happening either. Development in the life sciences and healthcare moves alot slower than it does in the tech industry. But maybe we're wrong and advanced AI is actually much further away than we realize.

ohh my GAAAD WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME ELAAAAN

aw jeez

>that was long
>babbys first waitbutwhy
>ITS POOPSI
make up your minds you idiots

Honestly I think advanced AI is a lot closer. The developments since 2015 have been insane.

Though it does raise the question of whether AI developments will lead to neuroscience developments. Maybe AI will speed everything along. Who knows.

I really hate how 'impressed' normies are by this, it is akin to sci-fi writing. Why are normal people so scientifically illiterate?

The enlightened user posts once more to remind us all of how superior he is for not agreeing with something.

Precisely. But it is, it is sci-fi, sci-fi writers often use theoretical science to explain their stories, how is this any different?

There are so many philosophical questions that come with this.

Like, if I sync up my senses with Chad while he fucks my wife, am I still a cuck?

It's not trying to say that this is what will happen. Only the last section is pure speculation, and it's based on what researchers are saying. I don't think it ever claims that this is what will happen.

So the question is will we build a God, or will we become gods?

*tips*

Pretty much this.

That still doesn't mean it isn't sci-fi, sci-fi will probably never happen, just like this. So, once more, tell me what is different between this and sci-fi? Nothing.
>TL;DR: Normies are still retarded for being this 'impressed'.

Even though the plan would be infeasible, you gotta hand it to Elon that he sure knows how to plan, innovate and lead.

You're literally saying that all speculation is fiction. Technically it's not incorrect, but isn't that quite a limited way of looking at things? You might as well call it sci fi to say that we'll invent anything because the world might end tomorrow.

This. That blogger is full popsci autismo.

>babbys first waitbutwhy

And last, it is a garbage dump.

It's about feasibility, this isn't feasible, that's what people should be saying not:
>Omg this Tweet is going to change the world, isn't it?
Or
>I'm sooooo hyyypppeedddd
Or
>Omg, I can't go to sleep!
The problem is, credit is going to wrong people and the wrong theories, it's the same thing is focus and funding. There are lot more 'important' things to fund, but funding is going into things like this instead.
It is sickening how incapable or critical, scientific and mathematical thought your average person is.
And your defence of that isn't helping anyone!
You might like Elon, as do I, but that doesn't mean you need to defend him when he aiding in the spread of misinformation and rallying the plebeians over nothing.

Autism speaks. There's literally nothing wrong with pop science if it helps to educate people on a topic.

I embrace cyber enhancement but there's no one who really understands the risk. To individuality, identity.
Messing wit the human soul...

>wbw is popsci shit
Stop saying the article sucks. Instead explain why it sucks.

>Soul
>Real

>popsci educates people

No, it doesn't educate people at all. It prevents their education by giving them a "quick fix" for their curiosity. It is like eating candy instead of having a proper meal. Much of popsci is also complete garbage interpretations of real science. Like how many feel good articles are there for "this could be the cure for cancer!!" or "NASA found something amazing that will change how you think about space!!!" There's no real science involved in those blogs. Its just catch phrases, clickbait, instant gratification, and there's rarely ever an actual citation or link to a paper.

Do you really think that the OP's thread should have been made in Veeky Forums? I don't. It needs to be in /x/ or maybe /g/ at best.

>he wants a point-to-point discussion on why feces smells bad

The article fucking sucks, senpai.

The burden of proof is on you.

This doesn't seem like it will be relevant for anyone over the age of 5, given the timeframe involved.

So you'd rather everything involved with research is a completely inaccessible to anyone without a PhD in it?

Where do you think finding comes from? Where do potential researchers get the spark to focus on something when they're young?

You're sperging out over something that's not aimed at you, for it not being aimed at you.

You didn't even go to the link did you? Here:

waitbutwhy.com/2017/04/neuralink.html

It is literally a full autistic retard spamming bullshit he literally knows nothing about prior to googling and reading wiki articles for like a god damn 100 pages or something.

Nice projection, kid.

Popsci is ruining science education. This has always been known. I'm not sure why you don't realize that. Popsci has always been a dead end since the 1990s. I blame the internet.

How is helping blind see, deaf to hear, the paralyzed to walk, ect... Not feasible? How is this a waste of funds. We're already doing those things.

Musk knows you can't get from today to sci-fi in a straight line.

That's why instead of building a rocket that could take us to Mars, he built reusable rockets and steady revenue stream first.

They're gonna do this in small incremental steps, and each will be feasible and economically viable.

If that requires to hype some normies to get the ball rolling so investors and scientists would be on board I'm totally okay with that.

I'd love to know how you'd like science reporting to be done. It sounds like you'd rather have nothing at all. In which case enjoy all that no funding.

Fine, keep giving hope to the hopeless and when you die without seeing anything that could truly aid humanity (if funding was allocated correctly, in a pragmatic way) then don't blame me, I warned you.

This was the most Reddit thing I've read in a while.

I think this article would be educational to normies. I think there are ways that it could be made more educational (e.g. more url links, suggested readings), but it serves as a solid intro to BCIs.

Examples
>he gives an overview of the nervous system
>explains some of it's important structures that are involved in BCIs
>includes quality images that help provide a visual reference to what he is explaining
>explains tools in electrophys/neuroimaging
>includes problems and drawbacks for both the tools and relevant portions of the nervous system

Most importantly, he does it all of those things in an easy to read format.

Christ you sound like a miserable cunt. What do you find wrong with developing technology to help disabled people function more effectively?

>Minority
Or
>Majority
Do you totally lack foresight?

>he literally knows nothing about prior to googling and reading wiki articles
It's called doing background research... which is sorely lacking in alot of news pubs these days. He also talked to alot of neuroscientists, as well as Musk, and a knowledgeable scifi writer, all of which have their insight written into his post.

I'm more likely to become disabled than be affected by whatever meme humanitarian thing you can come up with. Fixing a most problems directly isn't helpful anyway.

The internet has done more to help world poverty than the majority of aid efforts. Similarly, developing better AI or whatever this article talks about will help more people than it appears, and more emphatically.

Because funding the next big particle accelerator will lead to so much more inventions!

Don't get me wrong, we should definitely fund theoretical (particle) physics. Not because it will lead to improving the lives of people, but to improve our understanding even if it doesn't effect us in a practical way.

But your reasoning is that we shouldn't?

That's perfectly fine that you espouse that view, but I consider the longevity of humanity more important that giving Timmy a second round of legs.
So, once more, refer to: I hope you'll be willing to volunteer your descendants to stay behind on Earth, aiding the disabled as a large impact event is about to ocurr and the resulting extinction level event.

see .

Are you saying that understanding the brain won't increase our longevity? It's pretty much the only thing we can't replace.

It might, I'll concede on that much.

So you concede that everything you've said up until now is bullshit? None of the things argued for in this thread would not be helpful in increasing human longevity.

To expand on my post, if you can put your brain in an easy to maintain and replaceable (mechanical) body, only need to focus on keeping the brain from aging.

But you do you know what would really aid in the longevity of our species?
Funding off-world colonies, impact event defence systems and research into fusion and thorium power.

see .

I've thought about this too, but how you would able taking away someones rights to biologically reproduce?

The best thing for longevity would be AI anyway, as chances are AI would be able to invent everything else faster than us.

You keep telling us to look at other posts but the other posts don't tell us shit.

*would you handle

Artificial wombs, sperm and eggs made from dna/stem cells from the brain

But since we're almost biological immortal taking away reproduction is a good way to stop overpopulation.

That's very true, in fact I think this is the most poignant thing you've said all thread as to why I should support aforementioned article.

What was your question?

At what point do the philosophical arguments become genuinely relevant?

What about those who enjoy sexual pleasure?

The problem with offworld colonies is keeping people alive.

The body is like life support for our brain. So instead of creating life support for our life support system, it would be easier to just swap life support systems.

do you totally lack perspective? seriously you are saying advocating advances in technology is wrong on a science board

What a pseudo intellectual faggot. It's more like our bodies are life supports for our dicks so that we can pass on genes and then die off. The brain is just there to help us not die long enough to use said dick.

Agreed, I now understand your standpoint.

>seriously you are saying advocating advances in technology is wrong on a science board
Can you not read?

>What a pseudo intellectual faggot.
Says the one arguing that our only purpose is life is to biologically reproduce when evolution and nature itself doesn't have a sentience and therefore has no 'purpose' for us.

It's a choice between death or this user.

But while you're biologically immortal you have time enough for the technology to get sufficiently advanced. Even if it takes 200 years.
We might just be able to download, record and share experiences.

This is philosophical. It depends on whether you value the individual or the collective.

Agreed, I was just playing Advocatus Diaboli and I guarantee someone else would raise that question in the future.

I never mentioned purpose once - in the chemical process of DNA existing, that which reproduces best hangs around. Leading entirely to where we are now and so everything is the result of an ability to reproduce and that is reflected in our biology, which places great effort in reproductive ability compared to cognitive.

Then why make an argument, that would require it to be right or wrong? Oh, I get it! You were just being pedantic as to perform some intellectual posturing on a Mongolian horse selling forum.

The funny thing is that the primary motivation for all of the musk shit for him is literally assure the survival and longevity of humanity.

As I said, I like Musk, I was just being critical of the popsci article and the reaction to it from the baying plebeian horde.

Dont trust. Do you want the joo in ur brain, too?

Someone should link Elon this thread. It's clear that in his search for experts he missed out on the smartests ones right here on Veeky Forums and is making a huge mistake.

lel

Sums up the mentality here quite well.

Been looking at the education of the people involved. Most of them seem to have some form of background in EE.

So EE once again been proven to be the best Major?

EE/MechE/ChemE is the holy trinity

everything else is a meme unless you are shooting for a PhD

But CompSci and CompEng are important too... right? RIGHT?!

CS is like a business or language degree. its something you do as a double major to show off. its why EE/CS is a popular dual program at many schools.

doing Comp Eng is like doing Aerospace Eng. IE some niche shit that has a better potential of buttfucking your career mobility than it does anything else.

It's a shame that I'm probably to stupid for EE.
I'll Probably do CS, the standard is still pretty high in my country and we still get some electronics.

These and civil, because buildings are important. But most of other engineerings are derived from EE/MechE/ChemE, so people should just pick one of these and specialize in whatever field they're interested, instead of going for some meme engineering degree.

If elon hired me then you guys would see robot waifus in 2 years.

>ctrl-f optogenetics
>1 match
Well at least some people know what theyre doing. They at least have a chance.

Almost all of it is incorrect science though.

what the fuck it's popsci but long-winded popsci, I thought the point of popsci was to be vague and not-actually-educational so as to grasp the brief attention span of the consumer. This is that but in a really drawn out way, defeating the purpose. What the fuck.

This is 30 years away if not more. If you're excited about BCIs, look up Openwater, it's a fNIRS startup incredibly more interesting than this.

Made me think user

see

It's time

>time
more like 50 more years

>no Pure Mathematics

I want to get this so badly
going full mechanicus is my dream
but it's fucking guaranteed that the powers that be are going to use it to be a cunts, like they do with all population controlling tech

How could anyone read this cringefest? I had to stop at the third badly drawn picture.

>popsci is bite-sized fluff except when it's a guy who writes a short novel, then it's long-winded fluff

Though I do think it's Elon's relationship with this guy, to the point of using him as a means of announcing his start-up's goals, is a little weird. No criminal, not even unsavory. Just strange.

WBW must get a shitload of clicks to make it worthwhile.

>50 more years
Feels bad man

Assuming you're between 20-30 and you live a healthy life and you don't have shit luck like encountering a truck of peace you might make it user.