Caffeine

So what is the general consensus on caffeine around the Veeky Forumsentific community?

I drink something around 90-160MG or so of caffeine a day, through the form of diet soda/coffee/tea, and I'm wondering if relying on caffeine to study is a good idea.

Would a person be able to think more clearly and operate more efficiently on water than they would on coffee/soda?

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006899399024804
nature.com/nature/journal/v301/n5897/abs/301246a0.html
strawpoll.me/12781917/r
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Your brain does better off caffeine than it does on it habitually. It is better to completely abstain from using caffeine until you really need it for something. Then you can drink a cup of coffee in the morning and be good for 48 hours.

Good luck going off caffeine for the 2 week down period it takes to get your brain function back to normal.

Does it really only take 2 weeks for it to go back to normal? I have been drinking shit for 5 years now.

That's gonna be two weeks of hell

just spend it getting stoned.

Not an option my dude

then just chew some valerian root and get more exercise.

No, fuck this meme. I stopped drinking coffee and I ended up bombing my second midterm and when I started back up again I aced the subsequent one. Caffeine is good for people who have slight ADHD.

[citation needed]: the post
inb4 clickbait garbage

I feel you my bro.

if you have ADHD you can see a doctor and get medicine that will better counteract the affects of ADHD

caffeine is junk, it's a drug mixed with sugary drinks to make people feel good for about ~5 hours depending on their usual intake

>talking about caffeine like it's meth
are you fucking retarded? wait don't answer i already know

Caffeine is less damaging than adderall, besides, for adhd as mild as mine, caffeine's enough to let me function well, without the side effects like loss of appetite and greatly increased heart rate.

Adderal has too much of a kick.

The medicine for ADHD is just a meth derivative you idiot.

Haven't drank caffeine in over 5 years and I feel amazing.

The scientific community would not function without caffeine.

use amphetamines instead

It takes 48 hours, he was talking out his ass.

It's great, everyone should have coffee thought take weekends off or intermittent days. On hard, rare days i take a modafinil and a coffee to work for ages - however its greatest use is in the gym, i take 300mg in a preworkout and have the best workout of my life everytime.

However i get strong fatigue from crohns for periods which is why i have to use it as a crutch, prior to that id have about 2 coffees a week.

>he takes his caffeine in the form of a soda like a teenager
Of course you don't rely on a sugar rush for brainpower. That's a completely different story

Its recommended to drink about 4 cups of coffee a day for the caffeine due to the health benefits. not sure how much they take an average cup has, ill try to find the studies/recommendations.

caffine is very healthy and i dont know how the stigma against it started.

some info about caffeine and coffee

(where coffee is mentioned, caffeinated coffee showed better results than non caffeinated coffee)

from the national institute of healths AARP diet and health study: drinking 6 or more cups of coffee a day lowers mortality rate by 10-15% if you are over 55 (people younger than 55 had the opposite effect)

if you suffer from GERD, dont drink too much since it can mess with your stomic pH.

coffee correlates with slight increase of bone fractures in woman, and decrease in men.

coffee can increase number of seizures in people with epilepsy.

low doses (less than 6 cups a day) protects your heart rhythm

I think we all know moderate consumption increases energy, alertness, physical, motor and cognitive performance

cofffee slightly decreases overall risk of cancer.

coffee decreases liver inflammation in high risk individuals (fat people). more than 2 cups a day had less than half the risk of liver problems than people who drink 1 or less.

reviews of studies pre 2013 show people who drink the most coffee had less than half the risk of liver cancer compared to those that drank the least

smokers who drink 4 or more cups a day had a 92% lower risk of dying from chronic liver disease than thise that dont drink coffee

coffee decreases DNA damage from hepatitis C

for sources read 'how not to die'.

On a sort of related note i have been drinking a 6 pack of coke zero every day for a year now and by back started to really hurt today. Did I kill my kidneys?

On a somewhat related note, anyone do cocaine in here?

Well, as a doctor, a good test would be piss in a cup and drink your piss(no joke). If your piss tastes concentrated, your kidneys are fucked, if not you're fine.

dude i consume at least 0.5g of caffeine a day. I go through a 5 cup pot everyday, and take pre workout

You stopped drinking coffee, took a test, bombed it, then started drinking coffee. That isn't what said to do.

You should have just learned to take naps instead of relying on coffee.

I can't seem to find the paper via google scholar that is from 1990s. I keep getting things that are completely unrelated for some reason. There's a citation in an old National Geographic article about the paper, but I can't even find that now.

Caffeine is an addictive drug and causes withdrawls. Pretty much everyone knows that. The thing is that it is very low on the scale. Coffee in itself is also addictive even without the caffeine.

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006899399024804
nature.com/nature/journal/v301/n5897/abs/301246a0.html

Feels good man when I never have drank coffee and see colleagues just chug that shit day in and day out to be able to work.

>have a normal sleep life
>try coffee because why not
>it tastes good, get addicted
>now I always sleep late at night at irregular times, my circadian rhythm destroyed

I WANT OFF THIS RIDE

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I find that in the mornings, caffeine causes me to get nauseous and then pass out. This only happens some times though.
I don't feel sick when I don't take it, but then I just feel like garbage all day. I can see why it's addicting.

I have moderate to severe ADHD-PI. I have been finishing a bottle of 100 200mg caffeine pills each semester, until I ran out last week. I haven't even noticed a difference at all, which makes me wonder if they were actually duds.

I ran a small poll on this, apparently Veeky Forums mostly drinks coffee or coffee with another kind of stimulant: strawpoll.me/12781917/r

>"""""energy drink"""""
>only 80mg caffeine
240 or nothing.

Haha very funny, you just want me to drink my piss. I've already been tricked into eating my shit before so fool me twice shame on me.

All of the drip machines I've ever seen mark 1 cup equal to 150mL, which is why you have to make 2.5 cups to fill a travel mug.

>replace caffeine with DUDE WEED LMAO
>its better dude trust me lmao

proof stoners are braindead

wtf i'm #MakingAPot now

i consume close to a gram of caffeine every day and have done for about 7 years now

seriously what the fuck kind of e.drink is that
I've drank regular soda with more than 80mg of caffeine