How do I scientifically escape my crippling depression? I have no motivation to work on my research...

How do I scientifically escape my crippling depression? I have no motivation to work on my research, to interact with people, to care about my """""career""""", to make any effort for something "better."

Do you guys see psychiatrists or something? Take meds? I've achieved all I thought I wanted, but now it all feels worthless

Pic unrelated

just man up start lifting I guess. act like trump and think you're hot shit all the time even when you mess up. you'll feel better eventually. it'll change ur brain to be more happy. also get rid of the coffee even the turks started banning it because it made people unhappy

I systematically destroyed every positive relationship I've ever had and abandoned all of my hobbies to devote myself to studying. It's not a happy existence, but it's a productive one. And one day I'll be dead, so I have that going for me.

Detachment

> I've achieved all I thought I wanted, but now it all feels worthless
At least you achieved a lot then.

In the end life is meaningless so being depressed is just seeing clearly.

>>In the end life is meaningless so being depressed is just seeing clearly.
Just becaues it's meaningless doesn't you mean you shouldn't enjoy it. Seeing clearly is enjoying it despite it being meaningless

What is it that you're supposed to enjoy and what is really enjoying it that you call "I"?

>What is it that you're supposed to enjoy
Being alive

We've got a philosophy fight, place your bets on who gets tired and leaves without resolving anything first!

You life is empty because the world is falling apart. You can only think your way out of that if you can think cleverly enough to right the busted world.

The world is doing fine though

>On Veeky Forums
>The first reply is by a dumbass
There is no hope.

>The best car in the world will not take you to the right place if you do not know where you want to go

Being ignorant of the true nature of reality.

You don't need to be ignorant, just unaffected

I just read this whenever I need to philosophically jerk off.

>not ignorant but unaffected
I know that state, but then then enjoyment goes too.

Start lifting, it won't cure you but it'll do something. Check your diet. Talk to a therapist.

>it won't cure you but it'll do something
Add physical pain to complement the mental pain?

> on a science board

You're smart, right. Find a cure for depression you silly goose.

Here's the cure. Have a good childhood, very high verbal IQ and be tall and attractive.

Alternatively, be very, very religious.

Where should I start...

Depression is a meme.Prove me wrong.

Can confirm this advice did not work

why does this board exist

You're just delusional about your childhood or other qualities.

I'm not; sorry pal.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

The proof is in the pudding pal.

Believe what you wish friend, but those qualities are not the perfect recipe you imagine. Depression is more complex than that

Go to a psychiatrist and take meds.

>Do you guys see psychiatrists or something?
Yes.
>Take meds?

Practicing sports is know to help with depression as well. In the case a psychiatrist is not a viable option.

Captcha: Stop Snack

>Take meds?
Yes.

FOrgot to type.

Can't say I know exactly what you're going through, but I've been through a phase relative to this one. I've got major ADHD, so I take meds that help me focus. When I have nothing to focus on, I start mindlessly thinking. It's suicidal.

Don't give yourself time to think. I know that sounds counterproductive, but mindless thinking results in thoughts that are often self-deprecating. Sometimes people need this type of stuff, but it sounds like you've been mindlessly thinking for far too long with no real goal. So, if you want to stop this mindless thinking, you've got to start doing the things that you really won't want to do:

Fill up your schedule. Be busy. Be social.

You sitting at home not being social and playing video games? Get a fucking Nintendo Switch or some portable shit and play video games at your local bar. Doesn't matter if nobody talks to you, it's a start.

You got hobbies? I'm not talking like, "Lol, I smoke weed" or "I go out and drink"... I'm talking like, productive shit. Running, working out, playing sports, playing eSports... just something that gives you a challenge that you actually want to tackle. If you've got those types of hobbies, throw yourself at them.

Don't got any hobbies? You've got all the time in the fucking world to find one. You don't want to research? You don't have to. Just open up your browser, type in some keywords related to your research, open up a couple of tabs, and let it sit. Open up Microsoft Word, type the cover to your thesis, and write the first sentence.
The hardest part about anything is starting it.

You've achieved all your goals? That's fine. But don't be selfish, get married and make some fucking kids. Have your spouse and your kids teach you new things.

Teach others what you've learned. Learn from those who you teach. Argue with them. Play devil's advocate.

Just don't start thinking without a reason to think.

You're a big guy

Bumping for wisdom.

You need to do 30 minutes of strenuous cardiovascular exercise a day. There are mountains of literature backing up the observation (which goes back to Hippocrates) that exercise mitigates the effects of depression, and helps put it in remission.

get on medication that will give you energy. this wont fix your thought process entirely, but it is a start.

My parents ingrained in me a very paranoid personality. If meds don't free me of the borderline schizo intrusive thoughts which accompany this I'm planning on going through with suicide. I've tried self-help and get an hour of cardio everyday; it simply doesn't help.

depression is a result of philosophical immaturity.

why is it that people who are """smart""" have adhd at a higher rate?

nice fedora, haven't seen one in a while

He's not exactly wrong. I had really bad suicidal depression for years, until I started to watch Jordan Peterson's philisophical videos and could finally "sort myself out," as they like to say

It was like my depression just cleared up overnight, and now I feel prepared to take on the rest of my life and truly, logically analyze any concept in depth

Some other people might have depression as a cause from their lifestyle or their surroundings, but at least for me, it was definitely my own perception and understanding of the world

10/10 would philosophy again

>i achieved philosophical maturity by watching a bunch of shitty videos
you both should kill yourselves

Hello.

Meditation is the only thing that really fundementally helps with this in my experience. The Three Pillars of Zen is a good book. You can find a pdf online fairly easily. If you're a university student, the library almost definitally has a copy.

The fact that you asked shows that you cannot identify a cause for your depression, otherwise you would not ask but know to attack the cause.

Depression without an identifiable cause is often rooted in narcissism.

I'm still not sure if I feel how I do because of narcissism or because of feelings of inadequacy. How could I tell the difference? And how could I deal with either?

I wouldn't go as far as to make this statement BUT....

I would recommend anybody to read Plato. His Dialogues from Theaetetus to The Republic have made me a somewhat happier man.

I LIFT AND STUDY IN ORDER TO PROTECT MYSELF FROM EVIL THOUGHTS & THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS ME, AND TO PROVE MYSELF WORTHY OF GIVING GLORY TO MANKIND THROUGH MY RESILIENCE AND DETERMINATION.

Why do you do stuff, user?

POSITIVE CHANGES
Exercise every day
Meditate every day
Fap or have sex every day
Socialize as much as possible (you have to enjoy it, if you're not feeling happy then you need new friends)

NEGATIVE CHANGES
Exit abusive relationships (easier said than done)
Don't do drugs or drink. Alcohol and cannabis are both known to cause depression in high doses. Hard drugs will fuck your life up just because they take too much time and are too neurotoxic

>fap
>positive

no

Whenever you think of a respectable man, what character traits come to mind?
Okay, good. Now spend the rest of your life trying to become a respectable man.

It is the only goal that you can achieve no matter what terrible curve balls life throws at you. See, happiness is transient and hard to define. Respect isn't. Work your ass off, do things you don't want to do. Your depression will leave.

You dumbass, fapping is something you add to your routine. Therefore positive

YOU FUCKING TWAT, THE OUTCOME OF FAPPING EVERY SINGLE DAY IS NOT POSITIVE.

>having a repressed sexuality
what is wrong with you people
christchan?

nah brah, but it fucks up your brain and after a while you feel no pleasure unless you go deeper into the fetish depths.

Get your testosterone testes, as well as your estrogen at a proper men's clinic.
Lift heavy weight.
Run regularly.
Eat more steak and eggs, and cut out all refined carbohydrates/sugar
Work hard physically during the day- find something to do. You will know if you have succeeded because you will hit the pillow like a log.
Take iodine as a supplement to regulate hormone production. Research Iodine and Depression. Iodine is central to the correct functioning of the Thyroid.
A lack of sufficient iodine results in symptoms that mimic manic depression.

You have a hormonal issue OP, which masquerades as a mental issue. Get your fucking hormones in check by taking iodine each day, and supplementing with Testosterone if need be. Also follow the rest of this advice. Thank me later.

Praise Jesus Christ.

>Depression without an identifiable cause is often rooted in narcissism.
How do people come up with this bs and state it as fact?

dumb.

diet

kek laughed out loud. Can't wait to see the result

Did you tried turning your life off and then on again ?

Don't let the title fool you; Albert Ellis is one of the people who chased Freudianism out of psychology, and encourages a scientific approach to testing the irrational personal beliefs that underlie much of the symptoms of depression and anxiety.

>>not getting married means you're selfish

Where did this meme come from bros

>>"you should all be ants in the mound while the philosopher kings rule you"
>>this makes you happy

Not even mad but how did this help you?

Respect is easily lost and easily undermined, though. How is that not also transient?

That is the most retarded piece of sophistry I've ever read.

And thus the Turkish are now spending every day celebrating in the streets because they can't contain how happy they are

I hear LSD microdoses work wonders