Electrical engineering

Planning on doing EE next year, what can I expect?

I had a hard time choosing between CS and EE. Mostly because I already know some CS and have no idea what to expect from EE
But I heard EE students can get hired easily in software jobs, but CS would have trouble getting into hardware jobs.

Other urls found in this thread:

studiegids.ugent.be/2017/EN/FACULTY/E/BACH/EBCOMP/EBCOMP.html
studiegids.ugent.be/2017/EN/FACULTY/E/BACH/EBELEK/EBELEK.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

fuck off

Do EE if you think you can handle harder classes.

>what can I expect?
Unemployment when you graduate.

LOL. Stay salty that your "pure" math degree only granted you a teaching job at your local high school.

You're going to have a rude awakening kiddo

t. recent engineering graduate

Then you majorly fucked something up along the way. Do you genuinely think your job prospects would be better in Math or Physics?

Pro tip: they wouldn't

Finding a job is hard in anything, but it's easier for engineers and everybody knows it.

K.

Tell that to my entire graduating class. The job market is shitting the bed at the moment.

>The job market is shitting the bed at the moment
It also is for everyone else. That's not exclusive to engineering.

EE is superior in every way.

it has a ton of subfields (power grids / electric plant systems, digital design / computer engineering, long range communications, wireless/photonics, microfabrication, robotics, etc.) so after the first 2 years you can pivot to go in whatever direction you think best

as far as engineering goes, it's close between aerospace and electrical for the easiest to get a job in after graduation.

CS grads today are like a jobfarm, unis just teach them to code monkey around java and python and then release them into a glutted, competitive job market. put simply, it's just too fucking easy, the sum total of skills they learn can be attained at "bootcamps" in a matter of months.

>But I heard EE students can get hired easily in software jobs
yup, actually i know two guys, both ECE grads, with shit gpa's (~2.9 and ~3.0) and they've already accepted jobs as "software analysts" (programmers basically) starting at 66k and 72k respectively. they literally sucked up two jobs that CS majors would love to have

>>CS
>1st year
Bullshit java/OO coding class
Bullshit data structures class
Piss easy calculus classes
Piss easy matrix algebra class
[If you're luck] physics I&II for non-science majors

>2nd year
Watered down "computer architecture" class
Pompous software engineering class
Pathetic discrete "math" class
Watered down "probability" class
Crash course on formal languages and automata

>3rd year
Pathetic algorithms course
Watered down computability and complexity theory course
Laughable networks course
Laughable database course
Crash course on various programing languages

>4th year
Laughable computer security course
[If you're lucky] an Operating Systems class
[If you're lucky] a Compilers class
Horseshit AI with trivial machine learning
5-10 student team Capstone with one dude doing all the work
and all the bullshit easy electives you want

>>CE/ECE/EE
>1st year
C++/C Coding class
C++/C Data Structures and Algorithm
Easy vector calculus
Piss easy matrix algebra class
Ordinary Differential Equations
Physics I&II
Chem I&II

>2nd year
PDEs, Complex Variables, or Advanced Engineering Mathematics [which is half of each]
Probability and Random Processes
Numerical Analysis
Signal and System Analysis
Circuits
Physics III
Digital Logic
An actual Computer Architecture class

>3rd year
Electronics I&II
Communication Systems
Digital Signal Processing
[if CE or ECE] Discrete Math
[if EE or ECE] Control Theory
[if EE] Electromagnetics
[if CE] Operation Systems
[if CE] Digital System Design
[if CE] Embedded Systems

>4th year
Capstone
[if you're unlucky] Ethics
Electives [for CE]:
Compilers
Computer Vision
Computer Graphics
VLSI Design
Networks
Cryptography
Reverse Engineering
Information Theory
Convex Optimization
Distributed Computing

>Electives [for EE]:
Analog Electronics
Power Electronics
RF/Microwave Engineering
Antennas
Radar Engineering
Power Systems
Electric Machinery
Semiconductor Device Physics
Photonics/Optics
Wireless Communications
Mechtronics/Robotics

>it's close between aerospace

Is it really? Aerospace seems unusually competitive and specialized compared to some other engineering majors.

>what can I expect?

about half of the class, statistically including yourself, to be gone by the second week

and

>aerospace

hahahhahaaaaaahahhhaahhahhahh

Don't do CS if you want to understand hardware

Do CompE or EE. I recommend CompE if you know for sure you want to do digital shit. If you care about E&M, power systems, etc, then do EE

I'm an ECE PhD candidate

>Don't do CS if you want to understand hardware
Spend an hour on youtube and you will know all their is to know on hardware.

I went into EE thinking it would mostly be the hands on electronics lab and project work I find really enjoyable. In reality it was eighty hours a week of calculus lectures and cramming calculus textbooks.There was a year long period where I never even touched a soldering iron or scope. I'm happy I did it; but you should know what you're getting into.

>Spend an hour on youtube and you will know all their is to know on hardware.
I doubt you can learn the way a transistor or an array of transistors work on Youtube in an hour

I AM FUCKING MASTURBATING

AND TO TOP IT OFF WITH THE ELECTIVES FUCK

OP here, CS and EE have an identical 1st year (actually CS, EE, ME, EME, ChemE, Civi, PhysE & architecture all share the same 1st year) and the second year only 2 courses differ. I get Calculus I II and III regardless.
Not that I mind much math, but I suck at proofs so theoretical CS is a no-no.

CS does have some electrical/signal courses, but it's just that I think it's easier to learn the CS stuff on my own than the EE stuff.

Expect autism and people who think just because they can do engineering that they are gods gift to mankind all at the same time setting themselves apart.

Get a double major (best of both worlds engineering and marketing both opposites in themselves). Do internships and jobs. Dont be afraid if you cant do it; you can do it. Work hard play hard.

>CS does have some electrical/signal courses

Are you an Aussie?

retarded

double majoring is pointless. just finish your undergrad and start grad school. dont waste time on an extra BS that nobody cares about

>dont waste time on an extra BS that nobody cares about
this

Nope.
Here is the curriculum
CS:
studiegids.ugent.be/2017/EN/FACULTY/E/BACH/EBCOMP/EBCOMP.html
EE:
studiegids.ugent.be/2017/EN/FACULTY/E/BACH/EBELEK/EBELEK.html

>double major
I'm planning on getting a masters degree afterwards.

>studiegids.ugent.be/2017/EN/FACULTY/E/BACH/EBCOMP/EBCOMP.html
>Computer Science Engineering

That's CpE/CS&E, not CS.

It's the only CS related thing we got thou.

Aerospace are merely glorified mechanical engineers.

2nd year EE here. I flunked my circuit class because i didn't do any of the problem sets.
Do the problem sets. And make sure you show up for tutorials. You probably won't be able to learn everything in 24 hours.
Try to make friends with people who can get you labs/final exams from previous years. Everything will be a lot easier provided you don't use it to cheat. At my school there's a private Google Drive run by senior students which contain all of the work for all classes. Of course you have to know one of the people who run t to get access to that

>(power grids / electric plant systems, digital design / computer engineering, long range communications, wireless/photonics, microfabrication, robotics, etc.)

Holy fuck, everything except robotics seems so fucking boring, thanks god i picked ME instead of EE

thats crazy how they just post entire course descriptions for each course.

>glorified
more like butt fucked out of any career mobility

Same except I also like computer engineering. And I'm an ECE. I considered doing ME, but it's like playing minecraft without using any redstone.

Wow this curriculum seems a lot quicker than my university's. For EE we took embedded systems 2nd year but signals/systems, digital logic, and probability courses 3rd year. That curriculum probably would've made it easier to get internships

It also takes the easiest/least rigorous CS curriculum and puts it against a rigourous EE curriculum while also blindly tacking on "laughable"/"pathetic"/etc to every CS class without justification.

Despite the fact that CS/EE should be taking the same calc/etc courses, since that's the case at every university I know of.

The only thing I know that differs is possibly the CS majors taking the linear algebra/etc that non-engineers (math majors, physics, etc) take that will be very proofy, compared to the more applied linear algebra for engineers that engineers would take.

tl;dr: it's just copypasta, don't take it seriously.

all the cool shit in ME is in combustion and thermal systems. you'd think that'd be a chem eng thing, but not really.

Software Engineering student here.
Where can I go to learn about EE stuff free on the side?

khanacademy has some early circuits stuff and MIT open course ware thing might have some EE courses

there are CS bachelor of arts degrees with easier requirements. sad thing is employers often don't know the diff

>cs or ee
Just do computer engineering
Real thing it's 1/3 cs and rest ee

At my school the only difference is bachelor of arts requires 2 years of foreign language and probably other things

>The only thing I know that differs is possibly the CS majors taking the linear algebra/etc that non-engineers (math majors, physics, etc) take that will be very proofy, compared to the more applied linear algebra for engineers that engineers would take.

No, they take Linear Algebra for CS majors that ends before eigenvalues because they don't need it.

All I can say is think very hard about WHY electrical engineering is your choice. If you have no drive at all, you'll be studying a bunch of topics (electronic circuits, communication systems, power systems, embedded systems) which all relate to eachother but you probably don't care for. You want to actually have a drive to enter the field of EE. Your reason shouldn't be

>I can find a job easier and I like physics II and I like programming but I don't wanna do CS and I wanna have an easier time getting a "software job"

You can choose to do plenty of pure programming in EE. Look into embedded systems. It's All C programming, but much different than your CS introductory C course.

That EE program has me rock hard. Don't tell me what unĂ­ it is, because it will make me hate mine more. I don't even know how mine is abet accredited it's so shitty.

I was contacted on LinkedIn during my last semester of undergrad EE for a job 5 miles from school trying to pay me 70k year 7k starting full benefits 2 week vacation. This is in the Midwest mind you where a brand new nice 3 bed home in middle class neighborhoods is 250k max. I can't tell you how many unsolicited offers i received since graduating since I stopped looking once I enrolled in masters

One of my friends did aerospace and he's been trying to find a job in his field for over a year and a half.

Meanwhile my other friend that graduated from the same school in the same year with a degree in mechanical engineering is a design engineer at boeing.

Are you at a really big school that a dedicated class for LA specifically for CS? We definitely covered eigenshit/diagonalization/etc in my class. We only had 2 intro linear algbera courses though. The only for engineers, then the one for math/phys/cs/etc. Then beyond that additional LA that required abstract algbera/etc to take meant for math majors only (as well as obviously requiring the intro course).

Eigenvectors are useful in Page Rank and other stuff though, no?

I mean maybe compared to the rest of the course it might not be as relevant, I'll give you that, but since when do you use everything in every math course you take throughout your entire degree?

move to the midwest xDDDDDDDDD???