/space/ general

not really sure what board this is supposed to go on, but can we get a /space/ general going?
>Theories of the final frontier
>What to expect on mars, trappist-1, space age nationalism/globalism, etc.
>Questions and answers (e.g. how much money to live on Mars, Veeky Forumsentists? What music would be cool to listen to in space?)
anything else /space/ related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XUhVCoTsBaM
forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=41634.0;attach=1423804;sess=52732
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump for interest

how big of a space station can we build orbiting earth before it begins to affect tides and stuff
can we aim for 150 people living aboard?

>What to expect on mars

JELLO BABIES
JELLO BABIES
JELLO BABIES

Initial attempts will be diversity driven internationalist pipe dream PR acts but things will quickly normalize after that as the importance of the west wanes.

well that got real

this

Bigger than we can actually build.
Yes.

>trap-pist

>how big of a space station can we build orbiting earth before it begins to affect tides and stuff
Death Star.

>What to expect on mars
Cold sand.
Neat rocks.

>What music would be cool to listen to in space?)
All music is equally improved by microgravity.

Will it be a repeat of history of the american colonies? iirc one early colonies mysteriously disappeared, maybe they all died? And other early colonies all ended up struggling and starving to death and so on. And iirc the way of life of the people in these colonies was not capitalist. There was indentured servitude, and they had to share the capital/property I guess it was like communism but I guess everything was owned by the aristocracy so what is that called is it feudalism?

The early colonies will struggle and starve to death out there all alone more unreachable than the new world was from europe through the 16th and 17th centuries. Some of them have mysterious stuff happen to them too, not not because of the ayys but more like Murphy's law "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong" and the harsh rugged environment and radiation fucking with the equipment. And the colonists are they going to be able to own private property or be free to do their own thing or be entrepreneurs and run their own businesses? No probably not because the entire thing will be owned by modern equivalent to aristocracy and they will be required to work for and will be subject to obey whoever is in charge or else.
And the modern equivalent to aristocracy, and the royalty, will surely demand to extract their cut from the proceeds and keep pulling the strings. We can be sure that those in power on earth will regulate and tax anything and everything about their lives and work even though they are a great distance away because the US government already does this with US citizens no matter where in the world they live. The US gov even puts down the full weight of it's bureaucracy of US citizens who have never stepped foot on US soil. And after enough time their economy develops to grow more independent and then the colonists become sick of the bureaucracy and being ruled, overregulated, overtaxed, etc from such a great distance and they demand independence.

I dunno, I believe that there will be relatively few similarities between the first colonists of Mars and the first colonists of North America for a few reasons:

- For the first several decades following the first footsteps on Mars, we'll be sending only the most disciplined and capable people we can find. Early North American colonists were total mixed bag.

- The colonization of Mars will be far more more planned, structured, and prepared for than practically anything other task mankind has carried out. We can do things like send hundreds of tons of supplies ahead of colonists on fully autonomous landers. Yes, things will go wrong that will catch us off guard, but prevention goes a long, long way and the worst case scenarios for Martian colonists will generally be less catastrophic than those early North American colonists had to deal with.

(cont)

- We have a vastly better understanding of physics, human physiology, and practically everything else that matters. Colonists won't be coming down with scurvy and they'll have some clue about how to keep themselves fed and alive once they arrive.

Without a doubt, the hardest part of colonizing Mars is getting there. Once that's mastered the remaining challenges are somewhat tame compared to what the colonists of the past had to face.

>want to send people to mars by 2030
it'd be cool if we establish a moon base and a small O'neill cylinder, or something similar, by 2025

in b4 alcubierre drive to explore the solar system, don't feel like annihilating my destination though ;)
How long b4 good ion drives? Thorium reactors are small enough for a spacecraft?

>sending only the most disciplined and capable people we can find
That would be illegal because countries in the West all have laws about antidiscrimination affirmative action and diversity quotas which lead to scenarios where when you create a list of most qualified
1st most qualified
2nd most qualified
3rd most qualified
4th most qualified
etc
if you have a situation where you dont have the right percentage of people who identify with the right genders, sexual orientations, color skin, etc, then you have to skip people on the list and go down until you find someone who fills that quota, thus excluding more qualified people. And if you dont and decide to go down the list in order then xe/xer, fags, etc, will keep your operations tied up in lawsuits and a storm of negative PR and it will never get off the ground.

>illegal because countries in the West all have laws about antidiscrimination affirmative action and diversity quotas
Only USA/Canada does and maybe some Euro cunts.

Regardless there aren't absolute most qualified, you will have hundreds (if not thousands) who are equally fit for the job. Stop bringing your autism into a potentially comfy thread, /pol/.

And South America
The non-whites will not want to see whites colonizing Mars, not that western civilization will even exist in 30 years

With a democratic/republican capitalist society we will never leave the Solar system. We need either autocratic communism or fascism.

>That would be illegal because countries in the West all have laws about antidiscrimination affirmative action and diversity quotas
Last I checked, less-competent people weren't a protected category.
Moron.

What do you think about the Dream Chaser? Is it gud?

hologram

lol how's high school honey?

whoops wrong post, meant to reply to the commie/fascist above

>What music would be cool to listen to in space?
youtube.com/watch?v=XUhVCoTsBaM

>Time to slap some Ayy Lmao shit: The Soundtrack

I don't know enough to say if it's good or not, but it looks interesting and I'm glad someone is working on it.

>What music would be cool to listen to in space?)

In space no one can hear you sing.

7/10, would build Revell polystyrene model and prepaint the parts.

In space every single crew member, regardless of their location aboard can hear you sing.

They can hear you fapping.
...you can hear them fapping too.

the got sriracha on iss

Useless mass for a space capsule.
Wake me up when fully reusable one stage to orbit.

Is the ISS as comfy as it seems?

nah it sucks

i'm not sure why we dont have space generals more often...that and futurology generals (like space elevator /pol/ threads)

This one was pretty damn good:

Bits of it, just floating around everywhere, getting in your eye, up your nose...

>What do you think about the Dream Chaser?
I remember when there was a big divide between the pro-capsule and pro-spaceplane camps. Capsules are better but I don't want us to give up on alternative technologies, which is why I wanted to see SpaceX and SNC (Dream Chaser) win the competition instead of Boeing and SpaceX. Luckily for us, the Dream Chaser lives on in a variety of ways including possible future ISS re-supply (NET 2019).

Pic related: Dream Chaser undergoing testing and modifications to become a supply transport.

The TRAPPIST-1 system just tickles my fancy in a big way. The settlement, resource acquisition, and political implications of a system where there are seven roughly Earth-sized planets in such close proximity to each other is just delicious. Even if they're all tidally locked, settlements could be made on the terminator, with less climate-dependent endeavors like mining taking place on the permanent night and day sides.

This is, of course, assuming we'll eventually have a way to get there.

dude fuck off, stop making retarded threads that attract roleplayers and idiots

this is Veeky Forums not /sci-fi/

SpaceX answering the FCC's questions about their proposed internet satellite constellation:

forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=41634.0;attach=1423804;sess=52732

It's notable that the satellites are only projected to survive for about 5-7 years and the first expected de-orbit of one of their satellites will be in 2025. So that means that they could have one or more of them in LEO by next year (although 2020 seems more likely).

Must be fun to be that guy who forgot to make sure the cap was secure before shaking

What are you doing on an image board? You are to good for it.

Doubtful they would be launching any of their own sats next year, they still have a backlog of contracts that need to be fulfilled

>capsule fags

But shuttles look much better.

They have more than one rocket.

Their backlog is mostly contracts for brand new rockets, since they just recently proved reuse capabilities. That means they're going to have a bunch of used boosters that are unbooked, and I'd bet they're what will be sending up SpaceX's satellites. Given that the grid is in LEO which isn't all that taxing to get to, they can probably squeeze multiple satellite launches out of each booster.

this is a science board yet people won't budge to the reality that we are living on a flat earth which just confirms that Veeky Forums is a website made by the illuminaty. My post is the truth and will probably be deleted since its governed by paid people for ideals of rich people.

>have to shit in plastic bags and have shit stains on your undies
>arent allowed to shower because water is precious
>constant floating everywhere
>no comfortable gravity to hug you down on your pillow
gravity is what it makes it so fuckin shit on there

this isn't reddit
Veeky Forums is fun only

okay, how do I get into a space related field (perhaps some space agency) with a physics degree?

also interested in energy generation.

It actually isn't all that hard to get a position at NASA, the people who work there today aren't the same geniuses that worked there during the Apollo program. So long as you have relevant experience, a good set of degrees, and the appropriate drive you can definitely get a position at NASA. Beyond that there is a rapidly growing private spaceflight market and there are no shortage of smaller companies that need talented professionals, obviously you won't get a job at SpaceX, but your chances are quite good regardless.