Which are smarter?

Which are smarter?
Cats or Dogs?

Most intelligent dog breed vs. Most intelligent cat breed... who wins?

Please back up your claims with evidence.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xyp3caSgeHY
faculty.franklin.uga.edu/rkthomas/sites/faculty.franklin.uga.edu.rkthomas/files/ThomasChapter1986.pdf
google.com/amp/boston.cbslocal.com/2017/03/29/cats-prefer-interacting-with-people-over-food-study-finds/amp/
cdc.gov/parasites/toxoplasmosis/
youtube.com/watch?v=iNQ3qMGNFS4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

the only thing worse than cats are cat """people"""

I heard that these little cucks can be very smart.

cats are the most disgusting pet in the world and the people who own them are equally retarded.

cats are braindead lazy faggots

>Be a dog person all my life
>Get a cat out of convenience
>Realize he's actually pretty neat
>Realize I was wrong about cats for no reason

Being a dog or cat person is retarded. You can prefer one or the other, but don't be an ass about anyone who likes the other.

I have a German Shepherd (one of the smartest dog breeds) and a stray cat, and I cannot tell which one is smarter.

The dog obeys almost every command but she is easily tricked, for example she cries if she sees me leave the house but if I leave her out in the back she doesn't realize I'm gone for hours and doesn't cry.

Meanwhile the cat has figured out how to unlock her kitty door, asks for new litter, greets me when I get home, follows me to the store and waits for me outside (I shit you not). In some respects she behaves more "dog-like" than my actual dog which I have to tie on a leash when taking him to the corner store so she doesn't enter with me.

just look at pic related
which one is more disgusting
>hint: it's the fucking dog

Dogs have much greater encephalisation and have social abilities that are far more developed even than many primates, but cats have a greater repertoire of instinctive behaviors.

>taking care of a cat/dog
>instead of reproducing and raising your own offspring
cucked

>has a cat

Why dont cucks like you leave my country already? You lost the election, get out.

I do not live in the USA.
I am a Conservative.
kys

Cats have also been shown to have a decent understanding of cause and effect and are capable of appreciating the care given by owners. This means that one must earn their respect and if you're an ass to them, they'll be even bigger asses right back at you.

I like dogs almost as much as cats, but there's no denying that they're less independent as a whole and are quite needy in comparison. If I'm tired, my cat isn't going to get all depressed if I don't play with him. He'll appreciate it when I do, but it's not a hard requirement, and that's great.

A cat is probably cleaner than you filthy ape

I like my cat because it doesn't really ask for much. I started feeding it as a stray and now it comes in the house and sleeps in my bed and chills with me. My roommates dog is needy as fuck though

>Cats have also been shown to have a decent understanding of cause and effect and are capable of appreciating the care given by owners.

Any mammal would be capable of this. Cats aren't dumb but they're not exceptional, carnivores in general are pretty smart. But dogs are not only exceptionally smart animals, they are also uniquely cued to understand our social cues. For instance a dog can follow your gaze to infer what you what it to do and can read your body language with exceptional accuracy, while cats show no interest in human cues.

well thats weird, all the cats I have seen have some sort of "wild intelligence" like crows but I guess that varies between cat breeds or something

The duck is superior.

>some sort of "wild intelligence"

Cats have an extensive selection of innate behaviors, more than most animals, which makes them capable of very complex behavior without the need for learning. Crows are actually much more "general intelligence" animals, they're hella smart but they need to learn tricks from other crows to make good use of it.

do those videos of "talking" dogs freak anyone else out how are they able to speak ANY coherent words at all?

youtube.com/watch?v=xyp3caSgeHY

Not really. Language use is something humans excel at but other animals are capable of quite advanced communication and dogs are extremely attentive to human cues.

t. spends half his life picking up dog shit in the middle of the street

I have two cats but I'd say dogs. Cats aren't necessarily dumb, they're perspective and have their own personalities and quirks. But dogs are by far more intelligent, I think.

perceptive*

Both of my dogs are mildly retarded.
My cat might be a criminal mastermind.

>>/get the fuck out/

all i could find on google scholar was a research paper from 1986 that basically just said we don't know yet
faculty.franklin.uga.edu/rkthomas/sites/faculty.franklin.uga.edu.rkthomas/files/ThomasChapter1986.pdf

>Realize I was wrong about cats for no reason
Congrats you have a parasite in your brain.

my dog could only say 'hello!', usually 'heloooooo!' when I get home. because for 16 years thats what I would say to her when I got home.

Show us on the doll where the kitty touched you, user.

My dog is half boxer and he's smart as hell, basically trained himself

Well see I think there's a major difference in the way their brains are made up. Cats are smart but they're situational intelligence, looking at felids they seem to have "moods" that leave them smarter and more aware, then later they can stick their face into a beartrap. Dogs are more like us and are constantly going on and on, which leaves for forgetfulness.

Then there's also upbringing, feeding and stimulating the mind to take in account, which most pet owners don't do. But since the cat is a natural hunter it will find ways to "get smarter".

In the end its up to so many variables and different breeds/ancestry its hard to say honestly. All we can say truly is: Their owners are fucking annoying holy shit shut the fuck up.

>while cats show no interest in human cues
They don't even process "human".

Its all cats to them, cats all the way down.

google.com/amp/boston.cbslocal.com/2017/03/29/cats-prefer-interacting-with-people-over-food-study-finds/amp/

That's wrong on so many levels. It's also cruel to deprive them of food.

Cats are the animal embodiment of autism
Meanwhile dogs actually give a shit about you and are still pretty smart

I don't open feed my cat. He only gets a certain amount every day so he doesn't get fat. His bowl is often empty and he'll get hungry when it's about time to feed him. Is that cruel to you as well?

They were still fed, they just had the choice between more food or another stimuli. of course they don't mention if its a human they know or a new human, since cats a curious about new things.

>implying dogs aren't natural hunters
they just have a different style of hunting
cats stalk their prey while dogs run down their prey (in packs)
humans also run down their prey, in fact we are the greatest of all endurance runners in the whole animal kingdom

If they were already fed then the conclusion of the study is bogus.

>A well-fed cat preferred something other than food
>derp

Friendly reminder that toxoplasmosis is insanely prevalent with some countries populations >90% infected. It is also completely harmless in the vast majority of cases and the only people who should be concerned are immunodeficient patients and newly pregnant women.

Fun fact: The most common form of transmission for toxoplasmosis is undercooked food. Ever eaten food in another country? Ever undercook a pork chop by a few degrees and think "meh i will be fine". Are you a fan of salad? If you answered yes to any of those questions theres a good chance you are already infected.

Please let this cat brain parasites meme end. Yes you can get it from cat feces IF THE CAT IS INFECTED, and if you have shit hygiene. If your cat is an indoor only cat there is almost zero chance it has toxoplasmosis. And if you wash your hands after cleaning a litter box you are relatively safe. There are lots of pets who need homes and spreading lies about cats isnt helping that.

Heres a source in case you are even thinking about telling me otherwise.

cdc.gov/parasites/toxoplasmosis/

A recent study on toxoplasmosis concluded that the dangers of it in previous studies have been grossly exaggerated due to the small sample size.

For what its worth; cat brains are more similar to human brains, although smaller, than dog brains are. The structure of a cats brain is essentially a scaled down human brain.

Poor phrasing, I meant just that, stalking their pray. In nature it has been seen to develop better thinking in animals. Social hunting is no less stimulating but only because its social.

Are you saying its even less scary than the vicious house fly they had originally portrayed it as?

What house fly? I'm talking about the correlation between having a cat and mental illness that has been exaggerated.

It was a metaphor user...

It's pretty badass to think that we are such great endurance hunters that we basically took our greatest predator (the wolf) and domesticated them into a pet that can help us hunt (doges).

Dogs also figured out they could get more food tagging alongside us than trying to compete with us.

We are pretty badass, seen from an alien perspective.

Wolves weren't our "greatest predator". Wolves are scavengers as much as hunters. Some packs simply learned that humans leave behind scraps and started following them. Some tribes started noticing this and provided food.

It wasn't a conscious effort to find an animal to help hunt with. We simply already had the wolves and quickly learned their usefulness.

desu toxoplasmosis isn't bad for you. there is nothing wrong with being infected. it makes you a better human. all in all its a pretty symbiotic relationship and the propaganda against toxoplasmosis needs to stop.

I'll answer with a question of my own. Which do you see dead more? Cats or dogs?

They were our greatest predator in Northern Europe at least.

The rest of what you said does not contradict what I said.

my boxer was literally a potato, couldnt unwrap leash around pole.

one time she did save my little sister from walking onto the road when she was like 2-3, gently knocked her over into the snow and stood over her until we came.

so im gonna say my boxer was autism tier intelligence.

Humans have always been an apex predator

Boxers are really great dogs but usually dumb as nails when it comes to most stuff.

Depends where you live.

First world countries

Why do cats try to hide their shit and piss but dogs lay it all out in the open?

Dogs are aphex predators, top of the food chain, they leave their shit and piss in full sight so that other dogs know this is their turf.

Cats are middle of the food chain, they are predators but they also are preyed upon so instinct tells them to hide their shit and piss so a predator cannot track them.

in natural surroundings, dogs actually hide their poo, they paw the ground after business

it's the shit retarded dog owners that force their dogs into unnatural behavior, because they dont want to called out on letting their dogs shit everywhere

>Not embracing both

My city doesn't have a stray problem, but my dad ran over some child's kitten once. So I guess cats.

Doberman doggos

Evidence:

>Hart, B.L.; Hart, L.A. (1985). "Selecting pet dogs on the basis of cluster analysis of breed behavior profiles and gender". J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 186 (11): 1181–1185. PMID 4008297

>Tortora, D.F. (1980). "Animal behavior therapy: the behavioral diagnosis and treatment of dominance-motivated aggression in canines. 1 [Dogs]". Canine Practice. 7. ISSN 0094-4904

will it ever be possible to make a dogcat?

i hope not
catdogs > dogcats

>toxoplasmosis

what's that?

Cats and dogs probably have very different perceptions. We know dogs' cognition is heavily based on social thinking (see "Secret Life of Dogs"); have no idea what cat cognition is like.

>encephalisation
Fun fact, dogs underwent a reduction in cranial size from this wolf ancestors. Though somehow they did become smarter; being able to understanding the concept of pointing at birth is fascinating (though they lack the concept of attachment)

The more people infected, the more people are into BDSM

This is fine by me

youtube.com/watch?v=iNQ3qMGNFS4

Before you ask, yes, it can infect primates. And it has showed to make people more prone to risk taking

Obligatory

That's just because dogs are usually fenced in, you can't contain a cat though.

No doubt trades were made to gain the ability to empathize with humans, understand their gestures, etc. So while they're smarter in the human social sense, they're less mentally capable than their wild counterparts in other ways.

N-NANI?!

based on rational self interest