Correlation thread?

Correlation thread?

Anyone notice a correlation between a specific taste in music and intelligence?

My father knows a couple of physicists who both have large record collections, there seems to be two kinds.

The ones who are extremelly smart and have a vast taste in music (from classic to wathever)

And the autists, the ones that only care about very specific interests and dont care about music at all (i.e Mark zuckerberg, look it up)

Anyone notices this as well?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3jjXMksGACc
youtube.com/watch?v=aSXtXLAVgkE&t=727s
youtube.com/watch?v=Af8ltlcZNi0
youtube.com/watch?v=TmQvQ7ZkL1Q
youtube.com/watch?v=bf1xpE5Yi0k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I noticed a big correlation between prog rock and intelligence.

Thanks for being specific.

can confirm. I used to be very intelligent and not autistic and a physicist and also had a broad taste in music and now after using drugs i have become autistic and only have specific interests and am not interested in music.

music for 200+ IQ people only:

youtube.com/watch?v=3jjXMksGACc

>people with broader interests are smarter because they have more possible stimuli
who would have guessed

No, you're not the first. It's a fairly well understood and studied phenomenon.

I meant it in a broad sense, not this genre or that genre

I should say Im not a quora user, I'm not trying to brag about things I have no control over.

I'm just saying this is what I have observed and I am interested in seeing if anyone here as observed the same thing.

I have a 153 IQ and I listen exclusively to Unwound, Popol Voh, Otomo Yoshihide, Charli XCX, and Kanye West.

AMA

Other question

Do you think people who are not so smart and vice versa have more inclination to certain genres or specific sounds or is it all very mixed?

How does it feel to get meme'd by /mu/?

Im trying to avoid this kind of bait, lets have a discussion for once.

If u listened to Kali Muscle you IQ would be 233 by now, brainlet.

Also you can't forget Merzbow, Boredoms, Gerogerigegege, Coil, Throbbing Gristle, Whitehouse, Nurse with Wound, Einstürzende Neubauten, Brainbombs, Egor Letov, Death in June, Current 93, La Monte Young, Moondog, Lou Harrison, Henry Cowell, Luigi Russolo, Fishmans, Jean Jacques Perrey, Les Rallizes Dénudés, Rainbow Caroliner, Taj Mahal Travellers, Fushitsusha, Peter Brötzmann, John Cage, Scott Walker, Dead, Frank Zappa, Morton Feldman, Captain Beefheart, Pharoah Sanders, Albert Ayler, Ornette Coleman, Alice Coltrane, Arnold Schoenberg, Pierre Boulez, György Ligeti, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Thinking Fellers Union Local 282. Raymond Scott, Delia Derbyshire, Daphne Oram, Terry Riley, Peter Sotos, Boyd Rice, Henry Flynt, Kazumoto Endo, David Tudor, Half Japanese,Secret Chiefs 3, Keiji Haino, Ramleh, John Zorn, Joe Meek, Faxed Head, Harry Partch, Wesley Willis, Fred Frith, The Residents, Sun Ra, Sun City Girls, Hans Krusi, Royal Trux, Jandek, Loren Mazzacane Connors, The Dead C, Comus, Cromagnon, Eliane Radigue, The Red Krayola, Opus Avantra, Pan.Thy.Monium., Murmuüre, Gong, cLOUDDEAD, Muslimgauze, the list goes on...

I wouldn't know, never been there

If anyone else here wants to come back to the initial question that would be much apreciated.

Isn't there a link between classical music listening and intelligence?

No.

/thread

/kys

Thread remains open

I have an IQ of 5000 and I listen exclusively to Japanese denpa song while I study.

kys

IQ of 73
I listen exclusively to Jazz

Music is only good for background noise when studying and if it's not classical then it's a matter of having shit taste.

>physics major here
I mostly listen to Zeppelin, the Stones (w/ Mick Taylor) and other bits of blues rock from the mid 60s to late 70s.
When I'm not listening to them, there's usually a song stuck in my mind and I instinctively analyze the composition. I've come to really appreciate the raw creativity of these artists that seems to have been catalyzed by the Dyonisian culture of the time.
While I genuinely believe some of these artists were objectively intelligent (maybe even on the level of famous scientists in terms of creativity), the consensus seems to be a correlation between this type of music and your typical 'git'er dun' mongrels and narcissistic boomers.

There are purely analytical geniuses and the ones that enjoy life and have many interests. Latter achieve more in their fields if their analytical capabilities meet some threshold. Take Feynman for example, he was smart, but not genius smart, but he's taste, interests and observatilns gave him creative power that autistic 200 Iq geniuses can dream of.These analytical geniuses solve problems but can't come up with elegant and useful theories. In this day and age both types are useful.

Fripp has to be at least 130 IQ and naturally good at math.

>Correlation
Sure. It has been known for a long time that a disproportionate large fraction of medical doctors have musical skills and play instruments.

Not much is known why but the capacity for music is related to a feature of the cortex known as the inverted omega. Look it up, there is plenty of stuff on that.

Oh yes, and pic. related.

>Mark zuckerberg
>smart
wew

Interesting, thanks!

lsd?

Of course there isn't. Musical taste is culturally informed, not a product of intelligence.

One professor of mine listened to dadrock and stoner stuff from the 70s, because he grew up in that era. Another listens to lefty pitchfork core because he is younger and probably hung out in progressive circles during graduate school. A third didn't listen to a lot of music, but said he enjoyed watching operas in foreign languages with subtitles in English, so he could actually follow the story. He hated operas in English.

While I admit I believe the last professor was the smartest, the three guys I listed seemed all about the same intelligence level, judging by their teaching ability and response to questions. The music choice came down to personal taste.

damn.
i love comus and moondog.
this must be a list worth money.

I've often noticed a correlation between trance music and intelligence.

Listening to rap and pop is the first sign that you might be a brainlet

>tfw just listened to I advance masked
This is pure gold.

Rachmaninoff's 3rd piano concerto is the greatest piece of music ever created and nothing will ever top it.

youtube.com/watch?v=aSXtXLAVgkE&t=727s

>Of course there isn't. Musical taste is culturally informed, not a product of intelligence.
Really.

So please let us hear the music from lesser intelligent beings like gorillas, dogs, or hamsters.

Also see

Breddy gud but I prefer the second

Intelligent people tend to want to be mentally stimulated, so they look for more complex genres, such as metal, psychedelic, indie, progressive, classical, etc. It's not uncommon at all for them to enjoy pop music, it's just that they will delve deeper.

>a disproportionate large fraction of medical doctors have musical skills and play instruments
That might help with coordination. If you've been playing instruments since your childhood, chances are you are gonna be a successful surgeon if you're interested in that.

youtube.com/watch?v=Af8ltlcZNi0

Music is most exciting to the listener when it is slightly challenging but can still be anticipated. The part of the brain that analyses the music is the same part that analyses math and language. The part of the brain is the same part that benefits from a multilingual childhood. Something tells me you're wrong.

youtube.com/watch?v=TmQvQ7ZkL1Q
>tfw 160 IQ

Not limited to surgeons, also GPs.

I liek vaporwave and synthwave

>indie
>complex

Do you mean that the inverted omega is caused by coordination? That would be interesting.

If on the other hand the inverted omega comes first then dexterity might be a side effect to the musical skills but I never heard this relationship in other professions.

It would seem reasonable then that dexterity does not come into it at all.

What's the best Unwound album and why is it New Plastic Ideas?

Has anyone noticed the correlation between being OP and sucking tons of cocks?

>125 IQ brainlet here with sound to movement Synaesthesia (I see moving shapes in my head that dance in tandem to the music)

>--My favourite genres are--

>OSTs & Epic genre (X-ray dog, Two Steps From Hell, Hans Zimmer..etc)
>EDM (The Glitch mob, Carpenter Brut, Lazerhawk)

I also enjoy dubstep a lot, the high energy and synthetic nature of the genre causes me to see many, interesting looking shapes. I get a pretty good feeling from seeing this shapes harmoniously fall into their righteous place in time in sync.

Alleged 114 IQ brainlet with the reverse condition, motion to sound. I listen to just about everything. EDM genres, pop genres, rock genres, jazz genres, you name it. I can even find myself listening to classical music if I'm really feeling like it, and there are moments. But, I find myself always coming back to ballads, alternative/indie, math rock, "folk", ambience/vocal heavy "experimental" things, things with heavy strings or established chord progression, "punk" rock, soul, and maybe sometimes the occasional earworm of year/s past. Metal, pop, swing, jungle, take your pick.

Besides being a means of cancelling out the constant ambience of being alive, I just find myself hard pressed to not identify and single out each and every discrepancy I can hear in a song, to follow each tangent. Ambient EDM is probably my defacto go-to though, for the sake of the synth chords and the atmosphere it often carries.

Don't know if that means anything, so go nuts anons.

pseud opinion right here

If you like some non-commercial dubstep: spotify:user:21z3mxqrzr4nptpxgucmhz4vi:playlist:1dOKsk0EM1l0OlG6Dg7B4h

youtube.com/watch?v=bf1xpE5Yi0k

Fur elise.

I used to not care or listen to music until i was 18. Now i listen to it but have no specific preference.

I still prefer silence when i need to concentrate.

Gave me a good laugh, thanks.

This is pretty much "first month on /mu/ and 105 IQ" the post. Fishmans are utter trash.

No, and people who try to convince themselves that it does are just idiots trying to feel smarter than they really. The smartest people I've ever met listened exclusively to metalcore and indie rock. I'm talking 17 year old grad students at MIT.

I myself have a 143 WAIS-IV IQ and I don't even listen to music.

>130 IQ according to shitty online tests
>not a big music listener
>i like vaporwave, Beatles, 80's - 90's rock music, and some dupstep and techno music.

do i have autism?

Thanks pal, I'll check it out.

>reverse condition, motion to sound

What's that like?

My IQ is 7 and I listen exclusively to Death Grips and acoustic blenders

Recommendations pls?

I have noticed a relation between (favorite genre) and high iq

If you enjoy this un-ironically, you are guaranteed to be a genius

>Lately I've been thinkin' who's in charge
>About who they are
>And are they looking down and laughing hard
>And are they aliens or robots
>or humanoids
>or gods
>I think I'm just paranoid
>Fuck it let's rock
>Let's rock let's rock
>Let's rock let's rock let's rock
De ep

Where you might see a green triangle when you hear a note, I'd hear a note when I'd see a green triangle- essentially the inverse experience. Even if I close my eyes until the phosphenes disappear, I still "hear" something intuitively. It makes life a little more interesting, because everything "sounds" a ways, everything has an extra "quality" to investigate, even if that isn't the case itself. Lip reading is easier. Things are more "particular". I can even memorize things by the way they sound, and so my memory gets a cheap boost, because I can get away with only remembering the "notes", if not also remembering the "regular" contents of the memory itself. All of that just makes music that much more interesting to me, because as I suss out the particular elements of the song, I can almost envision the environment in which the song was produced. I've spent so much time "hearing" what I see, that I can almost intuitively re-create what I "hear", as well as what I actually hear.

I could spot a fruit fly on a wall from across a moderately sized room if I happened to place my field of vision over it. If you've moved something in a place of work or home, I'd most likely notice almost immediately. I'd be willing to guess it's more or less the same with you, in that you might always "see" something the way I always "hear" something. I could be wrong.

>Anyone notice a correlation between a specific taste in music and intelligence?

say it with me anons
CORRELATION IS NOT CAUSATION