Dumb Shit People Say in College

Share dumb shit you have heard people ask in college.

>Scotland is a part of England
>Is a char a bit or a byte long?
>...world class programmer like Steve Jobs

>is char a bit or a byte long
I know this is wrong but I forget why
>steve jobs
>world class programmer
I'm an Android amongst a family of Apple users. I love my family but god damn

If I start listing all the shit ive heard we will be here for two days.

>300k starting

if you "forgot why" then you don't know what a bit is or you're too fucking lazy to think for 2 seconds why a char could not fit in a fucking bit

so scotland ISN'T part of england?

Oh shit that's right, I remember now. Sorry about that famalam

>>is char a bit or a byte long
>I know this is wrong but I forget why
It is wrong because there are more than 2^1 characters in the English alphabet alone, let alone all the special characters.

>This was worth it

protip: it never is unless someone, be it the school, government, or family members, is paying you to go

It's part of the United Kingdom. Scotland and England are two separate entities.

It's part of the UK. The distinction only matters to britbongs, as they are all genetically the same.

so arbitrary

>top-left
English flag

>second from top on the left
Scottish flag

>right
UK flag

I'm assuming the others are Wales and Ireland.

scotish fag detected. How does it feel that all your history is reduced to being England's cuckboi.

I work in a tutoring center. People can't even, given time, figure out which fraction is bigger than another. Some woman comes in and asks why she's going to need to learn exponent rules since she's going to be teaching second graders. Almost always the dumbest comments come from people who are going to be teaching primary schools. I don't think that makes them dumber than the others, but they're just the right amount of dumb to be proud and protective of their ignorance.

Please kill yourself. This like saying California is part of Texas.

>This like saying California is part of Texas

Not really, a closer parallel would be like saying Puerto Rico is part of the United States.

its tru tho. I bet you grow a gay orange beard and thinking you're so manly but you're just a kukboi sucking british kuk

Your sense of superiority does not allow you to be factually wrong.

The word 'England' has always been used to refer also to the United Kingdom, only more recently has this fallen out of fashion. Scotland /is/ a part of England, so long as you're not worried about offending any Scots.

Tell them that a bright student might ask a question about something ahead of the curriculum and not knowing the answer would be an embarrassment.

>let [math]x\in\mathbb{R}[/math]
also, this was a lecturer, kek

>>let x be a real number
I see no issue here.

Yeah, i can confirm the mental retardation of people studying to be primary school teachers.
I have a few friends in this field, most of them repeated at least two years between high school and uni graduation.
The most extreme case i know is a guy who repeated his first college year 3 times, then repeated his second year 2 times, all because he couldn't pass math classes (it's like calc I and calc I advanced, basically what you did in HS).
I think it's because they're all about "muh feelings" like liberal art students, but they actually have to takes STEM courses.

>Matlab is nice

Care to elaborate?

Don't you fucking edgelord me and say numpy is better, truth to be told there is no programming language which handles scientific computation particularly nice.

Not me, but "Take [math]x \in \mathbb{R}[/math]" is better.

Let * be *
Take * in *

What difference does it make?

The kidneys filter kidney stones

When asked if people believe the moon influences your mood half the class raised their hand in intro to psychology

quoting rick and morty has reached critical meme capacity but the sentiment is true. art and science are closely similar endeavors

dumb

What about Lisp or Haskell? Matlab could have been a Python library for all anybody cares.

For your average physicist Haskell or Lisp is not an option. In my experience only CS students and mathematicans inclined towards CS bothers with haskell. Lisp is declining

>The kidneys filter kidney stones
Red pill me on kidney stones, Veeky Forums.

>When asked if people believe the moon influences your mood half the class raised their hand in intro to psychology
Has anyone done studies on the influence of light equivalent to that reflected by the moon or tidal forces on behavior?

It makes your proof read better, because it's better English.

No?

That's not true whatsoever, you fucking brainlet.
Don't spread misinformation on a board that's intended for the discussion of the sciences.

>be me, student at elite school
>two athletes sit next to me in cafeteria
>first one says "I got accepted to that study abroad program in Shanghai!"
>second one replies "So you're going to Japan? That's so cool!"

True story

>Wildberger.jpg

Education majors a fucking joke. I know we like to shit on liberal arts majors, but at least they care about what they're studying.

Still you said it in the most reddit way possible.

>More than 2^1 characters

Yeah just about

>knowing exact geographic locations by heart is a sign of intelligence

Heard a girl say that climate change means we'll all need bigger air conditioners when the professor asked how the effects can be mitigated.

The look of pain on his face. I'll never forget it.

keeek

My algebra 1 teacher didn't know how to express a derivative
6th grade teacher didn't know basic trigonometry
5th grade teacher denied earth's temperature fluctuates

Now my networking and Web Development professor can't even fucking do a simple scp over a terminal

Most of the time science is a lot more science than pop-sci. A lot of people don't get that.

>Now my networking and Web Development professor can't even fucking do a simple scp over a terminal
wew

Puerto Rico is part of the United States. It's a tier 3 state. California, and New York are tier 1 states, followed by tier 2 places like Maine or Arizona, followed by tier 3 states like Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. Last are tier 4 states like Iraq and Afghanistan.

To be fair she's female, new, and only has, a bachelor's. Idk why they hired her. Probably to meet their girl power quota because she was instantly put in charge of female stem recruitment

Where do you get these tiers from

This is common knowledge user.

1 Most population and most economic productivity
2 Moderate education and productivity
3 Oddball acquisitions
4 Hellholes we obtained for natural resources, general expansion

I was able to gather what the tiers entailed, I was wondering what textbook you were reading

You should always say assume x belongs to the reals.

If you let,choose,fix etc... and then you want to show a contradiction, it doesn't flow well. How can you let x belong to the empty set, for example.

When you assume x belongs to the empty set and you get your contradiction that no member belongs, then you say your assumption is wrong. Therfore x isn't in the empty set. You can't say that if you let.

Head of the math department docks people for letting things.

I'm a TA and had to give an introduction to fluid mechanics and all of these questions were asked by the same girl on the same class:
After using the plungers example to explain Pascal's Law
>does it [Pascal's Law] hold for square plungers?
After telling them about Pascal's barrel
>why didn't the tube break?
After solving a problem about figuring out the density of a piece of metal
>are you sure the answer isn't a negative number?
After asking them to integrate a function of the form Cx^a+Kx^b
>do we need to use u-substitution?
After I jokingly told them I was a philosophy student when someone commented on my waist-long hair (I'm not proud of it)
>how did you wind up being a physics TA, then?

About a week after that class, I had surgery and never got to see the group again but I imagine the guy who replaced me had a lot of fun.

>surgery
Was it brain surgery after having been exposed to that stupidity?

Northern ireland

The moon influences my mood since it's hot as balls right now and it makes me glad to see it.

I think you're the only person in this thread who assumed the context was a proof by contradiction.

Well to be fair, if you think the moon affects your moon then it probably does, by placebo.

Scotland and England are seperate countries and always have been. Even since the Roman times. In 1707 they chose to join the United Kingdom and be ruled by the UK government while retaining their own parliment. How is that arbitrary?

>This like saying California is part of Texas.
What, you mean it's not?
Britbong here

Placebo is a selective reporting bias and not an actual psychosomatic effect you popsci brainlet

I didn't assume it was a contradiction, but in general, you don't know for sure if you'll find one or not.

>tfw no monoid endofunctor gf

>California, and New York are tier 1 states
Authoritarian scum detected.

[citation needed]
Everyone on those two islands descends from celtics who were cucked by vikangz.

It is. Don't listen to scotfags.

Yes, knowing Shanghai from Japan when older than ten IS a sign of intelligence.
It's like knowing Paris from England.

actually 2^0

retard

This is like saying [math]\forall (a,b,c,d) \in \mathbb{R}, [a,b] \subset [c,d][/math], which is stupid.

What's the capital of Berlin?

how is it any different from the rest of the posts in this thread, like knowing the difference between a bit and a byte, or whether scotland is part of england?

Honolulu

>>Is a char a bit or a byte long?
If this were a YLYL, I lost already

>If this were a YLYL, I lost already
>tfw you realize that people who ask this question are actually visionaries and innovators who dream of a world where our language has only two symbols.

How does it feel to be an unenlightened brainlet?

It's both, since for actual biochemical events, you can measure the effect

Wales and Northern Ireland yes. The one with the red dragon is Wales.

>UK flag doesn't have a kickass dragon
Shame

I feel like Wales got fucking shafted with this design

A friend of mine tried making some neural network stuff in Haskell. It was neither pretty nor fast.
Haskell is great, but not for computational stuff.

>people are actually this stupid

Nope. Appendicitis.