What does everyone think of Geology?

What does everyone think of Geology?

Other urls found in this thread:

engineeringtoolbox.com/compression-tension-strength-d_1352.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_section
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How can you hate on rocks?

Useful, but I remember studying it first year in university and being terribly bored.

taking a geology 101 course as a gen ed requirement this fall. what am I in for boys? I'm expecting this to be a joke class.

All gen ed classes are jokes.

At least with this one you might get to hit the piss in the middle of nowhere

GIS master race reporting in.

Satanic lies designed to test people's faith and to win converts for Satan.

I'm graduating with a degree in Geology next Thursday.

I think Geology rocks.

It seemed very easy when I studied it. Everyone except for me loved it.

Even if the show itself is shit, I was surprised that a show made for normies made fun of engineers and geologists. Maybe even normies know that physics is mustard race.

Only interesting because of its connectivity to life

>habitually start to work out the sequence of events in the given stratum
>wtf, they're barely even scrambled, how boring

Cool, good, and useful. Not very glamorous compared to other fields, but still really interesting nonetheless.

I've never met a geologist I didn't like. They're all bro-tier and very non-pretentious. They do like rock puns though.

I'm about to graduate with my BS in geology and I hate it lol.

I've made probably around $100k total from geology throughout my life. never studied it academically though. I just know how to pull valuable shit that's literally lying around a couple feet under dirt or sometimes on the surface of the earth.

A rock solid career choice.

nobody worry!
i'll post the best mineral!

I did this too

I've been a geology student at two different Uni's and I have yet to meet a geology faculty who wasn't bro tier

>orthoclase
yawn-tier

0/10 throwaway stone I use for mechanisms only because it's magma-safe

check this out

Geophysics master race reporting in.

>calling superior rock-building mineral yawn-tier
>posts fucking pyrite instead

lmaoing at your life my dude

what's your second fav? quartz?

nah im just playin man, pyrite is alright.
BUT WHAT'S THE OBJECTIVE BEST ROCK?

talc

orthoclase is so hideous it's pure cringe

next you'll tell me you're into microcline

pyrite isn't even my favorite

>BUT WHAT'S THE OBJECTIVE BEST ROCK?
BEHOLD!!!

*crumbles into dust with bare hands*
yawn

Schist has been my favorite rock since I was a kid. I found a huge slab of it in the woods. Every time I look closely at it I seem to find a new mineral in it because it's such a diverse conglomerate. It's also unbelievably shiny from all the mica in it.

Thebest rocks are those that you like put at the parks and shit that just sit there bigly and thay exist for like 3.000 thousand yera.

Does it have squares occuring on it as a natural shape? CS fag here

>$100k pre-starting salary
>only lick rocks
Why don't people study geo/logic/?

>What's the objective best rock?

In Pet Eng we study Geological formation with geologists. But also thermodynamics and heat mass transfer as applied to reservoir as well as geo-chemistry in the borehole.

Basically Geologists are brainlets with no understanding of calculus or basic Chem Eng science that is needed to actually be functional.

>petroleum engineering meme
if you wanna dig you shoulda been a geological or mining engineer

more like geololgy lol

yes, pyrite commonly forms in cubes naturally

not $100k salary, more like something around that amount after ten-twelve years, most of it from a couple of large fossils pulled out of wyoming.

Obsidian was always one of my favorite rocks when I was a kid; mica too.

looks like a bit of pork

I find it very interesting. It helps understand concepts and remember more things easier in other fields: ecology, climate science, Dwarf Fortress, etc.
Just knowing how mountain ranges develop makes you look at mountains differently - you identify different patterns and shapes.

Oh and I forgot Metallurgy.

Crystal shapes reflect how the molecular structure of a mineral looks

So pyrite molecules connect together to form a cube which is reflected in how the crystal shape looks

Because the crystal is just a macroscopic version of the same structure going on at a molecular level

Theres a lot of other factors that can affect crystal shape as well but the basic "why" of why do crystals make such perfect looking geometric shapes is because of how much they are influenced by molecular structure which is very geometric

Pic related should help better explain what i mean

Think of that structure, but stack billions more of them on top of and around it

Schist was my favorite rock as a kid too

Theres tons of it in new england cause of the appalachian mountains

I loved picking through it and finding lots of garnets

But lately my fav rock has been limestone since it can be so full of fossils and also due to all the cool chemical interactions it has because its made of Calcium carbonate

>malachite

Ok so i see you are actually a man of taste

Thats a mineral I can really respect

I do like microcline too, since every feldspar is great.

Amazonite and labradorite are the best looking

user, i notice you really seem to like metal ores. You work in the mining industry or something?

Btw How do you feel about galena?

nah, I'm , it's a hobby of mine to go out and collect geological materials that are worth money. get my camping fix out of the way with gains. not a lot of ores or metals, though I do find tiny pyrite cubes occasionally at one of my favorite quartz crystal spots. mostly just fossils, knappable materials, and landscaping stuff.

a lot of my ore fascination comes from playing dwarf fortress. you will find that df players might be prejudiced towards microcline and orthoclase, the same as I am, due to their frequency and distasteful colors.

idk I just like rocks man. I feel something like adrenaline if not adrenaline when admiring a particularly beautiful stone up close, especially if I just found it.

My nigga

Is GIS really geo though? I mean I made a lot of maps of rocks and shit, and my professor was a geologist, but it doesn't feel right.

What industries do you geos work in? I'm currently a junior at a pretty good school. I also am in the National Guard. Pretty used to being broke at this point so anything will really be an upgrade. Thinking of working for the country or state so I can exploit my veterans preference. Will probably go for a masters first though.

What's your level of education? Are you content with your work? How much time are you in the field? Any tips or advice? Any gneiss stories?
I go on r/geologycareers but it's just a bunch of people with a BS whining because they don't make 6 figures.

it can very well be, gis is pretty broad so it depends on your work and what specialized knowledge you have

a protip, please have some other specialized knowledge to tie into gis or remote sensing if you want to do that as a career. software engineering is an obvious one but lots of other fields are good too, hydrology for example. gis analyst skills on their own with nothing else will set you up for a competitive market with low pay (like $15 / hr starting with weak long term prospects unless you segue into management) .

>they have no understanding of calculus or basic Chem Eng
is the same as saying
>they have no understanding of skills a and b, neither of which are relevant to their discipline

I'm not sure why you think that makes them brainlets.

at least at my uni it is recommended to complete chem 2, physics 2, and calc 2 in order to be competitive for grad school.

inb4 omg brainlet.

>neither of which are relevant to their discipline
top brainletting

Doesn't malachite poison water when it dissolves in it? Pretty rad actually.

Also, I've yet to find a rock more pretty than Opal. Does any Geologyfag have any suggestions?

Should be part of any chemist's curriculum

Geologyfag here,
Nope. Opals are a 10 on the Moh's prettiness scale. They are the prettiest naturally occuring mineral

Petoskey stone best stone

well if iridescence is what you find to be prettiest, you might like labradorite or fire agate, or maybe peacock chalcopyrite or even manganese.

personally I like strong, saturated, vibrant colors, which is why I find stones such as malachite, lapiz lazuli and jasper to be among the prettiest, and also interesting naturally occurring geometry, probabily putting octahedronal fluorite, cubic pyrite, and dodecahedronal garnets among the prettiest.

it's a fossil, though. by that logic you could say 20ft crocodiles are best stone. which maybe you could, but it's kindof weird.

It's the best science you can major in. That said, I would prefer if you didn't major in it because I want a job and there's enough of us already.

Opal isn't a mineral so it automatically falls to shit-tier. Peridot from pallasite meteorites are way cooler.
>peridot/olivine is already fuckawesome
>came from space
>embedded in pure metal
>metal has cool natural etchings and other space shit in it
>fool /x/philes everywhere into thinking alien lapidary enthusiasts are real

>at least at my uni it is recommended to complete chem 2, physics 2, and calc 2 in order to be competitive for grad school.

and also basic chemistry, physics, and calculus knowledge (more chem) are mandatory in all programs, AFAIK. But Chem Eng and calculus are not actually used by the vast majority of geo majors, so not having those skills does not make one a brainlet.

I double majored in physics (great marks in courses like complex analysis, special functions, differential equations, etc) and geology AND I took two years of chem classes at college so I'm pretty qualified to say this, IMO. Well I'm in my last quarter, I haven't graduated yet, whatever.

thanks for reminding of another thing to look for. The two tiny black chunks are fragments of a garnet that was sticking out that I had always assumed was obsidian or something

where do geologists buy neat minerals online? I checked amazon but everything comes up as "healing crystals "

>implying geologists don't do crystal healing too

>not collecting your own specimens

>small chunks of igneous extrusive rock in a metamorphic sample

I could find mineralized cheeto dust in this rock if I looked hard enough

petoskey stone is a framestone. a crocogator skeleton would be a floatstone/rudstone.
most limestones that aren't just micrite are made of fossils to some degree. heck, even chalk is made of microfossils; it's a bunch of coccolithophore shells.

>not collecting your own specimens

I guess what I'm saying is that it's weird at least for me to consider a very specific type of coral fossil as a type of "rock" to compare against all other rocks, when it's really just a chunk of chalcedony with a certain kind of pattern. I mean, I've been to the west michigan coast and found all kinds of different varieties of fossil coral, it just seems weird to arbitrarily separate a single species as it's own type of rock.

Thanks for the tip. I'm a computer science major, but I loved the gis elective I took my second year so I went for a minor in it.
I don't get to talk to a lot of gis people online so I was wondering if its worth going for a masters in your opinion.

>OBJECTIVE BEST ROCK

>20ksi compressive strength
>trap

engineeringtoolbox.com/compression-tension-strength-d_1352.html

Stamp collecting, mostly fratbros studying it but can become a baller career without too much effort

In 10 days, I graduate from Georgia Tech with a bachelor of science in mechanical engineering. On the day, my bad joke will be
>Just try to BS ME.

Rocks are... important i guess?
Tbh, never really interested me

Trap rock isnt a single type of rock

It is a catch all name for dark igneous rocks like basalt and gabbro

Which are already pretty much catch all names for even more specific rock types based on composition

That the Earth is doing something humans are physically incapable of "wrapping their heads around".

>be me
>read OP
>CTRL F for 'geology rocks'

fuck yeah.

Had it forced upon me in high school by an awful teacher, who, quite ironically was actually a failed geologist who ended up as a high school "Natural sciences" (in my country, geology and biology were merged into one class) teacher.

This means I instinctively hate it, but I completely understand and see why people can like it, and how it could be seen as very comfy if looked at correctly. It has some of the funnest schematics of any science though.

They hit hard and aren't soft

That's a "metallography" on rocks or is a metal itself? Mecha. Eng. asking

>inb4 rocks are metals

>my country

Is it 'murica? Cause im american and had a natural science class in highschool

Mine was a failed environmental scientist

I hated him but since i have always been interested in natural sciences i ended up taking a lot of his classes senior year

i'm also doing comp sci + gis, having compsci is good, hell even if you can script python you're doing better than a lot of folk who just want to "do maps" for a living. would you want a masters in GIS specifically? if so try to get into ESRI's program, it's fuckoff expensive so scholarship $$$ is a good idea but the expectation is to work with them if that's what you're after. if you want to stay in academia long term it's also a fine idea. maybe check if any governmental or industry positions you're interested in require a masters or would benefit from it, i know some organizations have a blanket requirement for managers to have masters degrees. it's hard to comment on prospects in general though. it's sort of... auxiliary to a number of other industries so the health of one sector it's used in isn't indicative of overall job prospects (like, oil jobs drying up) but this will be up to your geography of course. in any case i would want a portfolio of related programming projects to tie in to keep breadth

No, France.

If you want to do math in high school, you're forced to have either some Natural sciences (Bio and Geology given by the same teacher), or a sort of meme called "engineering science" which is basically like learning to read diagrams, schematics, UML, basic CS stuff, etc... and often given by an incompetent physics teacher who asks the students for help with everything.

Though that was in my time, I heard in the recent years it has become of higher quality, and is no longer looked down upon when applying to a university (back in my day when they first introduced it, it kinda was).

>Mass transfer has nothing to do with understanding depositional environments
>Oxidation/reduction reactions have nothing to do with rock formation

I think they're brainlets because they don't understand the science behind the mechanisms, only the resulting observations

That's a photomicrograph of a thin section. Analogous to a metallograph.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_section

>inb4 rocks are metals

Some metals can be found natively eg copper and gold nuggets, silver wires.

I dunno what geologists you deal with

But im literally a sophomore geology student and i understand those concepts just from the non-geology science courses im required to take

If you hate it, you just aren't looking at it the right way. Same goes for any science really.

I go out in the field to get the data to make the maps. It's at least partially Geo in my eyes.

I knew arcgis used a lot of python scripting but I never got around to learning it. Shouldn't be too hard anyway. I have java and c++ down pretty well already. To be honest I grew to hate programming, but I'm way too far into my degree to go for anything else. If I have to use it, its probably way better for my sanity that I do it in conjunction with something I actually enjoy, like gis.

My professor told me our area (upstate NY) is pretty good for gis, and I've already had two internships so I could probably find somewhere that doesn't require a BS/MS around me.

>I think Geology rocks

Gneiss

literally nobody outside of autistic physicists think that physics is mustard race. Engineers spend way less time in school and make way more money, and the work they do helps people in a much more immediate and evident way, leading to much job satisfaction and overall higher quality of life for the average engineer vs the average physicist.

plus engineers get pu$$y

I'm using GIS to map gully channels in an impact crater on Mars. It's for my final project in Geomorphology class due tomorrow.

>upstate NY

do you go to UB user?

Close enough. Fredonia.

Feel free to bully me for going to a music/teaching school for compsci. I deserve it

I just really hope that you can manage to get laid at a school that disproportionately female user

At least get a geotech eng. Degree too so you can actually get a job.

Now that I think about it there was only one other guy in all of my gis courses.

I do okay though. Don't worry about me

Is Geology a good major?

I used to not really think much of it but when I took inorganic chemistry I gained a newfound respect for the field

A lot of people like to shit on it but I think it's awesome. It's very broad in it's scope, it can be either rigorous or laid-back, and it has a lot of importance in the real world (monitoring natural disasters, use of natural resources, climatology, and planetary geology).Most geologists I met are super chill too.

I'm biased because both my father and grandfather are geologists, but I'm a physicist (not a geophysicist) if that's at all relevant.

Yes if you plan to get a MS degree and not just a BS

Too many retards like to complain that its got no career prospects when all they have is a BS in it. But for most 'real' science jobs, a MS is a requirment.

GIS is good, and I'mma let you finish
But remote rensing is the GOAT and the patrician choice

Find me mines or gtfo.

remote sensing is cool as hell i agree. satellites are rad, as are active sensors like lidar / radar / microwaves / whatever. they're both cool and good for different reasons. the spatial problem solving and the statistics of gis analysis has a creativity to it, but also the EM spectrum is ~magic waves~ that i'm endlessly fascinated with. so much information is "in the ether" in the multitude of signals we shoot to directly to each other (or for machines to interpret), emitted from nature or space (like asteroids in the case of radio astronomy). it's all good. if you're an RS dude what are you specializing in?

if you've had a few internships you're probably in a good position. if you hate programming and can get jobs you like in your field (and don't care too much about money) then do what makes you happy. in any case, python is easy to pick up and will be useful to you even if you just use it to aid analysis and automate otherwise tedious tasks. fwiw academic programming isn't a good taste of what programming really is, academic programming is a sort of cancer of the mind. distilled it's applied problem solving and i think applied to a domain you actually like you won't find you hate it, but that's me assuming.