That rocket is gunna be YUUUUUGE

That rocket is gunna be YUUUUUGE

Other urls found in this thread:

spacepolicyonline.com/news/trump-wants-to-get-to-mars-sooner-rather-than-later
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

make me

He makes a lot of claims and has no credibility. Unless he already sign the paper, not news worthy just from reading about his claims.

Build a wall and make the martians pay for it

>President Trump: We will put men on Mars

>President Obama: We will put men in women's bathrooms

Simply having a US president saying he wants to do it is a big deal, even if he doesn't have a clear plan yet.

Because there are options to make this possible. SpaceX was going to launch a Dragon to Mars next year. Maybe they can still get a push to do it. The next launch window is still within Trump's first term.

Dragon should be entirely capable of landing men on Mars.

So what else do we need? Bigelow can provide lightweight inflatable transit hab and surface hab modules. Space-storable propulsion is an old solved problem. If nothing else, Boeing can provide a modular storable propulsion solution based on its CST-100 pusher launch escape system. Dragon can land enough mass for a small hab or truly minimal ascent vehicle (a 2-tonne, Dragon-landed storable-propellant vehicie can get to low Mars orbit with about 600 kg of mass, enough to carry 2 crew to a rendezvous). With a small amount of additional development work, two-launch reusable-booster Falcon Heavy missions can dock a fresh upper stage with a departure payload waiting in LEO, and send hefty payloads to Mars transfer or to a lagrange-point assembly orbit (where Mars departure of the complete habitat will only need a small delta-V) by means consistent with a high launch rate (expending only upper stages). The rest is just a matter of sufficient supplies.

So we need to launch the transit hab, supplies for it, a Dragon each to land on Mars and Earth, propulsive modules for it to depart Earth and return to Mars, a propulsive module / space tug to fetch the astronauts back to the transit hab (parked in a high elliptical orbit) from low Mars orbit, and that's the main mission package. Additionally, several Dragons should be direct-launched from Earth to Mars, with supplies, the surface hab (possibly several modules), and the ascent vehicle (and possibly a spare).

The pieces are more or less there, waiting to be polished up and put together. Doable.

>Nasa
whenever i see this i just immediately close the article

Your mom did that with her legs when she read your ultrasound iq score

>Mrs. user, you might want to look at this...
>>What do you mean the ultrasound gave an IQ score of NASA?
>I don't know, it hasn't happened before!
>>Does an ultrasound even read IQ?
>Of course not.
>>Are you even a real doctor?
>I am an article.
>>Then I will close you with my legs.

kek

Ok, so did he propose any concrete funding to actually make this happen or is he just talking out of his ass?

pretty sure he just upped NASA's budget a little while ago.

big if true

All talk and no concrete plans.
Just what this board needed - more bait.

He did. He cut science missions in favor of this goose chase. More prestige when others succeed under hi regime. It always boils down to him.

>Trump now supports science
>Bill Nye is a pseudoscientist

wtf I love Trump now

He cancelled the Europa lander, and the asteroid mission, as well as NASA public education and outreach programs.

He also just recently shut down the EPA data center.

this. I voted for him specifically because he was saying he wasn't going to intervene in syria. look what happened.

He never once said that

just use mars direct ffs

Oh so progressives aren't interested in Mars colonization anymore.

So? You're going to fucking Mars.

You really want money to be spent on outreach programmes?

Remember what the first step in Mars Direct was? "Just tell NASA to build an expendable rocket out of shuttle parts! It'll be quick and easy and then you'll have something better than Saturn V!"

Remember what happened when they tried that?

Additionally, Mars Direct requires several technologies we don't have at all, which NASA would probably take 10+ years to develop, like long-term hydrogen storage in space, a way to land a huge liquid hydrogen tank on Mars, and a suitable nuclear reactor for use on Mars.

The stuff I'm describing can be done with technology that's done, nearly done, or can reasonably be put together in a couple of years. The only thing landing on Mars will be Dragons. The only launch vehicle is Falcon Heavy. The transit hab is just a Bigelow balloon, like the BEAM on ISS, with standard power and life support systems. The storable propulsive modules are a modified (and greatly simplified) version of CST-100 (a vehicle designed to be capable of docking in orbit and pushing what it's docked with).

The most novel part would be the Mars ascent vehicle, but we're talking about 2-3 tonne object with a couple of seats, a simpler thing than the Apollo lunar ascent module, with no more advanced technology needed anywhere on it. There's no margin for any backup options: it works correctly and makes prompt rendezvous or crashes.

The rest is just standard stuff: suits, airlocks, solar panels, various supplies and tools.

he literally campaigned on assad being victimized by the MSM and the rebels being nothing more than terrorist organizations.

I watched the stream. He was clearly joking around. It was more of a "wouldn't it be nice if that could happen during my presidency so I can take credit for it" moment. But of course once again clickbait media takes peoples jokes out of context to warp their meaning

Mars is expensive af, BUT if SpaceX is already going to be sending a Dragon capsule there, then why not tack on some extra funding to get a robotic base out of it? He ain't going to do shit though.

>3 years

Sounds legit

He cut funding by 0.25 Billion and claimed he increased funding.

Nothing this clown says is reliable even when it's on paper.

I'd rather have EPA

Mars is NOT expensive
It's just that Space is a giant pork program for government bureaucracies

WE WILL MAKE MARS PAY FOR THE TRIP

Great. Republicans will waste government money on useless shit instead of science and education and then complain about useless government spending.

That's because he knows he'll lose in the next elections and won't be able to brag about landing on Mars. What an egoistical clown.

We should try to fix our own problems(racism, misogyny, refusing to help refugees) before making a stupid trip for white people.

>three years
Nah, I don't think I have to apologize. He's still a fucking moron.

>Doable.
It's been doable since the 1980s.

In the wake of Bill Nye The Genders Studies Guy's absolute cancer of show, I'm really REALLY fucking glad Trump won the election. There was a brief moments before and after the election that I had doubts if the memes were worth it. But after seeing that clip of Bill Nye The Mental Illness Guy's new show, it's so clear now. It does not matter if it's worth it or not, What matters is normies and liberals getting triggered and assblasted by a literal meme President. The faggots that made that horsehit normie level ""science"" show was probably crying their eyes out when he won. That thought really activates my serotonin at night.

you, my friend, sound like you care more about politics than science.

if you actually cared about facts, you wouldn't give a shit about what anybody says on gender. opinions totally irrelevant to science

Exactly his point.
If enough interest are present for the government to finance and put together the necessary pieces, then we can finally do what we could have done since 3 decades ago.

>literally what
Thanks for the (You) but what's your point? I'm just saying I'm happy Trump won LOL. I'm literally posting about my feelings. You can refute that you dumdum brainlet.

You can tell this is his first ever post in Veeky Forums

>moments away to colonizing a planet
>lets direct funds to outreach programs

You mention liberals getting triggered. I assure you that you are the triggered one friendo.

I won't apologize. I voted for the man.

nah
been comfy since december

>Veeky Forums - people butthurt about drumpf don't want to colonize mars

almonds my activates

I bet money that the people Trump gets to birth this Manned Mission to Mars will get so hyped about sending a rocket into space, that their pre-flight checks will be the least of their missteps, and there will be a Challenger-level incident on launch day. If not, we will probably lose the first manned crew to the void of space.

What a time to be alive and on Earth.

Getting someone to mars isnt the problem
Getting them back is

I remember them talking about going to Mars under Bush, until I actually see it happening I won't believe anything

>He cancelled the Europa lander,

The lander was a sub mission that was just going to poke at the surface ice.

>and the asteroid mission,

Stillborn before Trump came along.

>as well as NASA public education and outreach programs.

Not NASA's job.

No he didn't.

Trump requested more money for NASA than Obama did.

Why would we want to bring them back after going through all that trouble to get rid of them?

sure he did haha. He cut funding for all the NASA programs concerned with observing the earth which had way more resources allocated to them than exploring outer space. Overall it's a 0.25 billion decrease in budget.

how many times did he flip flop on this statement in his speech ( presume he delivered it while playing golf for the 100th time this week). i can handle the occasional bullshit from politicians but this guy is something else.

Oh, I posted this in the wrong thread before:

Mars one-way is entirely feasible in 3 years. Pay now to rush Red Dragon back on schedule so there's a demonstrator next year. That gives you your capability of repeatably landing substantial payloads on Mars.

You also want Bigelow (currently planning to launch a large commercial space station in 2020) to refocus its efforts on a small, simple transit hab which can start orbital testing no later than 2019.

And you've got to get SpaceX working on a stretched upper stage for Falcon Heavy, which can survive in LEO long enough to dock with a payload for an Earth departure burn. This will make launching Red Dragons cheaper and possible at a higher rate (two launches with full booster reuse, rather than one fully expendable launch), and with a fully expendable launch, will make it possible to launch 30 tonnes to Mars transfer, which is plenty for the transit hab and a Dragon.

One demonstrator Dragon to Mars in 2018, then in 2020, maybe six supply Dragons and one crew launch. Whole program should be doable for $1 billion/year, if you cut out the usual NASA bullshit that strangles everything interesting to death.

After that, you're committed to at least another resupply every window (roughly two years and two months apart). If the ITS program goes well, they could have the option of getting home as early as 2024.

and yet he isn't providing any funding for it, in fact he wants to cut NASA's funding in FY2018.

spacepolicyonline.com/news/trump-wants-to-get-to-mars-sooner-rather-than-later

Trump's FY2018 budget request for NASA was .4% larger than Obama's FY2017 budget request, changing how NASA spends its money isn't cutting its budget.

>What matters is normies and liberals getting triggered and assblasted by a literal meme
Why are you even in Veeky Forums

he also wanted a wall, that isn't happening either.

Trump is the kind of guy you have to judge by his actions and not by his words.

Because they broke the no-sex rule and we want to know what a baby conceived on Mars looks like.

Going by the Wall = Fence trend he's just going to put a guy in a shuttle and have him watch the Martian for 228 days. Then explode the shuttle.

NASA has been damaged for at least another decade if they put in motions to change.

No way can they get a man on Mars within that time.

Drumpf just can't stop winning can he?

No

NASA won't do something that can't do, which is why we won't see a Mars mission within even 2 terms of Trump

The private sector might try, and that's where you might see an accident

>inflation projected at 2%
>budget growth of 0.4%

dae le slob on trumps knob???

>Coke-head wants something big and pretty that screeches confidence so he can put his name on it

Color me surprised.

They're not sending their best and brightest, folks. They just aren't. They are probing anuses, they are abducting cattle and I assume some of them are good ayys. We're gonna build a force field to keep the ayys out and the ayys will pay for it.

Believe me, I know force fields. It will be the biggest, best force field within 10,000 light years. It will make the force field they have on Tau Ceti E look like it's made out of Legos. And after we build the force field we are sending every ayy that is here illegally back to their homeworld. It's time to make Earth great again.

I spoke to their leader, their head guy the other day, and he said "President Trump, you can't build a force field and we certainly aren't paying for it." You know what I said to him? I said "Draxzlor, the force field just got 10 miles higher."

>I know what NASA can or will do, trust me, my own father, god bless him, works at NASA

Go back to your hentai.

If he can bearly build a wall what makes you think we'll be able to get to Mars in one term?

>mfw Trump will be the president that put americans on mars

Doing absolutely pointless things as a show of power is actually pretty commonplace for dictators. Saddam rebuilt the Ziggurat, Kim Jong Il tried his hand at that yuuuge hotel etc.

You aren't doing all this in 3 years unless they start getting billions now
Even then it won't happen

Theres no point in doing a shitty footprints & flags mission to mars, rather than an ITS style mission.

No point going to Mars before going back to the moon, takes more or less all the same equipment/technology.

>going to mars is a pointless show of power

WHAT DID YOU MEAN BY THIS

Going to Mars isn't pointless, moron.

It's arguably one of the most important things in regards to survival of our species.

Will sending people to mars achieve anything concrete that sending a probe won't?

I guess not. Who cares about going to space anyways. Let's just build that wall instead right?

If we can... make it there, we can make it... anywhere!

>make me
good-bye /pol/itard

I mean Mars is cool, but I'd rather get a good sweep of Jupiter's moon that likely has life

Nasa are welfare queens. They have two options.
>kerbal the Challenge and fail spectacularly
>go the nasa way and do nothing gnawing at the patience and what political will there is to support the endeavor hoping the next administration lets them be as usual
Whatever they do the days of that agency running on already ancient glory are numbered. Good riddance.

If it weren't he wouldn't try forcing it to be completed under his first term. He only wants it to be finished before elections so he can boast about it during elections. That's a pointless show of power.

It's a gigantic task and putting such a short time limit only makes more chances for something to go wrong.

>lets just build a wall

I know you are joking but this is so ugly it shouldn't even be used as one. The nazis built the berlin wall to split families and repeating the same thing today is nothing short of crime against humanity.

Nice b8 /pol/friend.
The soviets built the berlin wall.

Who care who built what? Wrong is wrong no matter who does it.

From somebody that knows nothing about this, I have to ask.

Can it be done? Can we launch a rocket and go all the way to mars, land and set foot there?

nice gaslighting

>Wrong is wrong no matter who does it.

True, it was wrong for illegal aliens to illegally immigrate here, therefore we should apply the law independently of whether families are split because of their actions or not.

He's been a clown for months, this doesn't help you're position nor his. Face it, he will be the laughing stock of history.

>When a brainlet replies to you

He was already the laughing stock even before the election. He's set back the alt-right movement another 70 years for sure, like you want to be an edgy rebel and try to crash the system? Good, here you go.

>NSA largest employer of mathematicians
>NSA>NASA

Nerd

You say that like we have the money for it.
You say that like Trump isn't already doing his best.
If it's still not happening, it's never going to happen.

How about we send the big orange fatass to useless rocky cancerous overrated no atmosphere jello babies-Mars on his own with no way back instead?

>he wants to colonize a useless dead planet like Mars
>Mars colony will be fully dependant on Earth supplies though
>B-but we can t-terraf-form!!

>Denial
>What is I.C.E
>No more Sanctuary cities

Next time, follow the law.