Textbooks

>don't let your memes be dreams kiddo...

Post recent snags and built collections, show us how hard Veeky Forums memed you. Also textbook recommendation general.

Pic related is less than $350 due to local bookstore pickups and online snags

Other urls found in this thread:

Veeky
inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/mackay/itila/book.html
amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0632057998/ref=nosim/mitopencourse-20
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

rudin looks ridiculously out of place there and the only way you would have bought it is Veeky Forums memes, good job

i'm just here to laugh at brainlets that fell for Veeky Forums's meme textbook lists

Got it for $3 at a local goodwill...

Its not even as hard as brainlets make it out to be, but I'm only 3 chapters in so we'll see

i don't think i've ever seen someone say baby rudin is hard, it's usually papa rudin

the works of plato

you got me even tho its hard to read and on top

Gotcha, will have to cop one soon. Living in the rural south has its benefits when it comes to hidden gems at bookstores

>tfw poorfag third worlder
Why is shipping so expensive lads

>java and environmental engineering

B..but why user?

Also, do you like susskind?

Lol those two were $1 each at a book fair at my college library, I haven't read the quantum one yet, but his classical was very good, was able to transfer over well to goldstein

Does anyone know of a good book on animal cognition?

id on qt asian girl?

not sure but she kinda looks like Haruka Shimazaki from AKB48

Why would anyone buy a book printed out on paper? What's the point?

Idk if anyone else is like this but, usually (if it's cheap) and I can buy the book printed out on paper, I buy it as opposed to online because I feel like focus much
More and it's easier to read/bring it around with you. With a device, I get distracted by notifications/if I'm on the bus the screen shakes etc

Why would you ever pay for a book, digital or not?

>easier to bring around with you
I have a a dozen books on my ohone right now and an entire library on each of my computers which I keep synchronized with version control software. I can't fathom how lugging a bunch of paper around cpuld be more convenient. I mean, I can ctrl+f to find things. The new books are hyperlinked.

>on the bus the screen shakes
How is it that the screen shaking bothers you but the paper shaking doesn't?

I'm trying to build a collection of Dover Publications reprints of classic texts on geometry and quantum/physical chemistry

Why the fuck did you buy 3 different intro level physics textbooks?

Goddammit you're retarded. You could've gotten so many Dover books with that money

>Java
c'mon man.

>3 freshman physics books
>java

wtf is wrong with you?

The young and freedman was the main one I purchased. The arfken were 2$ each at a local bookstore, the REA blue book is a physics math method book, which was also $2.

Had only ever used c,c++, and Haskell. Wanted to see what it was like, was only $8

ahh, thank you user

Some books are nice to be able to reference easily without having to bother with my phone or computer. It's just useful to have a single volume containing more information than I could learn in years. Lang's algebra for example. I use it often enough that paying a few dollars (I got it for 10) is worth it. I can also write down corrections or other info.

where do you live user?

About 1/3 of what I got.

How did you like courant and axler? Thinking about getting these

Axler is great I used it to relearn Linear with proofs.

Courant was recommended to me by an old tutor of mine; but honestly I have not ever really used it. It looks great though from what I can see.

post chemistry books next ty

>Stewart
>Courant-John
>Abbott

Do you really need 3 books on pre-baby Rudin analysis?

>real complex analysis
so wut waz teh fak analysis????

>implying there's any decent chemistry books

A..user I have bad news

>Lay's Linear Algebra

into the trash it goes

this
you are not going to understand one word of it, with all of those community college texts surrounding it.

Is that differential equations book good? I'm guessing its good for intuition and applications, but does it also provide proofs? I found Simmons' calculus book lacking in that regard.

desu programming books are nothing more than glorified reference books these days. the oracle api pages are going to be more useful than that book unfortunately, and they're free. $8 is pretty cheap though so not bad.

Nigga it was cheap, but do you dislike it since there's no rigor? Seems meh/decent tier in explanations
Books on the right are bookstore books
So far have been fine, I'm actually starting to wonder if Veeky Forums was just circle jerking the hardness, cuz it's mainly difficult to get through the dryness, the concepts are not bad at all.

So for programming, does one just pick up a few languages and just read shit on applications? Sounds awful tbqh

its been a real strange journey

I fucking hated Young and Freedman.

Depends on the paradigm. Languages with similar paradigms will be easy to learn with just adjusting to syntax. You said you've done C and C++, Java would be very similar just more class focused and having a different library.

Really? Opinion on best starter text?

I mean it's kinda like a "Stewarts for physics" but you can't really fit in all the material it would cover to derive all of the intro material without there just being individual classes/texts

>critical theory

Jewish lies belong in the

you cannot defeat your enemy unless you know his tactics, friend.

>not organized

B..but why user? Did you just skip to the classics?

The only one I ever used is Serway and Jewett and it was fine. Nothing wrong with it.

Never considered any of the "for engineers" books, but it looks solid.

What in your mind made the difference? Layout, explanation clarity, problem sets, format, etc?

I only used it for mechanics and electricity and magnetism. That's all you need from it anyways. I used it senior year of highschool in ap physics bc and first year of university in the physics for physics majors course, although I just used lecture notes for that. It's solid. No bs, everything is derived sensibly for a first course. I think the "for engineers" was tagged on many editions later, though they are fine anyways. An older edition will probably be better since there's less unnecessary content.

>Java by Liang

B A S E D !

I was talking to him the other day, and he gave me his latest book (which includes data structures) for free!!

Liang plz go

Gotcha, so why didn't you like y/f? You felt there was BS? Just asking all the questions cause everyone and their mom were raving about it

I wasn't the guy who disliked y/f. Sorry thought it would be clear when I said s/j was the only one I used. It wouldn't make much sense to call a book bad if I never used it.

awe I just wanted someone to talk to

>I'm so absorbed I didnt notice basic words

Damn this search is getting to me a little bit

Found the CS major.

Does having a higher IQ make you more motivated to read? I always get disheartened when I open up a book and get tired reading, I always assumed that is because I a brainlet nigger.

Make a schedule and stick to it.

Anyone have have EE recommendations??

Dont have a pic but

>munkres topology
>Young Freedman University Physics
>Pinter Abstract Algebra
>Halmos Naive Set theory

The rest I have downloaded in libgen and used
>Schaum's outlines for advanced calculus
>Rosen Discrete mathematics
>Aluffi Algebra Chapter 0
>Griffith's Electrodynamics and QM
>Steward/Tall Algebraic number theory
>Do Carmo Differential geometry of curves and surfaces
>Taylor Classical Mechanics

Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Electrical_and_Electronics_Engineering

Jeebus, is there a meme list of that list? Cause
damn son that's a lot of books just for EE

>working hard for a

Looking for books information theory and/or probability.

I'm not all that interested in probability on its own but I have to take a graduate course in Machine Learning in the Fall as part of my PhD. I know that probability is required for ML and Info Theory so I just need to pick up a few basics.

Fundamentals of Electric Circuits by Alexander and Sadiku
Microelectronic Circuits by Sedra and Smith
The Art of Electronics, 3rd edition, Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill
Matlab: A Practical Introduction to Programming and Problem Solving by Attaway
Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ by Stroustrup
Digital Design: Principles and Practices by Wakerly
Computer Organization and Design: The Hardware/Software Interface by Patterson & Hennessy
Introduction to Probability by Bertsekas and Tsitsiklis
Numerical Methods for Scientists and Engineers (Dover Books) by Hamming
Signals and Systems by Alan V. Oppenheim and Alan S. Willsky
Discrete-Time Signal Processing by Alan V. Oppenheim and Ronald W. Schafer
Modern Digital and Analog Communication Systems by Lathi and Ding
Control Systems Engineering by Nise
Electromagnetics with Applications by Kraus and Fleisch

Pinter is good. I loved him

Probability and Statistics by DeGroot and Schervish
Elements of Information Theory by Cover and Thomas
Information Theory, Inference & Learning Algorithms by MacKay (Free: inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/mackay/itila/book.html )

Many thanks

>recognizing most of these

My nigga

Thanks tbqhwyf

>all that dover nice and neat
muh dick

What field would that be?

pretty and cool!

Perhaps essential animal behavior would be a good choice?

amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0632057998/ref=nosim/mitopencourse-20

Anyone have any advice as to linear and modern algebra.

For LA I'm trying to decide between Shilov and H/K.

I don't really have any idea where to start with modern/abstract shit. I've had analysis, an applied linear course, proofs, modern geometry.

How did you like Calculus by Adams? I own it myself but did not like it very much.

Is that C++ book any good? Thinking of starting it after I'm familiar with python

>Shilov and H/K

Haven't read H/K but I enjoyed Shilov and found it much better than Friedberg/Insel/Spence.

>I've had analysis, an applied linear course, proofs, modern geometry.

Artin would be right up your alley.

I've never met anyone who's actually _read_ Hoffman/Kunze. People use it as a reference and sometimes it's a course text (although not much anymore as it's quite old), but not reading it.

I liked Lax's book a lot.

Whatever you choose to read for algebra, don't fall for the Aluffi meme. Artin is good, so is Herstein (Herstein kind of reminds me of Spivak's calc book if you enjoyed that style).
There's also the tried and true method of just picking out what you want from dummit and foote.

>don't fall for the Aluffi meme
Aluffi is not a meme. It is the best Algebra book out there.