How do we fix the Math problem in America

Other urls found in this thread:

maa.org/external_archive/devlin/LockhartsLament.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

have schools segregated by chromosomes and race

People want to be stupid, there's nothing we can do. Natural selection will do all the work.

"I'm smart, but I am bad at math."

Literally no one has ever said this.
It's usually the opposite.
Also please don't penis shame.

Seriously? Im 24 and i remember hearing that alot growing up.

On one hand I know firsthand that I graduated HS not really knowing anything about math. I've been trying to teach myself, The starting point I had to begin working from HS Algebra textbooks.
On the other hand I have the suspicion that these people who write articles like that are pushing their own agendas, not doing it purely out of benefit for little anons. Whatever their agenda may be remains unknown to me maybe some smarter anons can offer their hypotheses.
Maybe it's intended to support their propaganda about STEM shortage, we need to push for more programs to get people into STEM, and resulting in flooding the market and lowering wages.

This. I always hear about how people sucked in high school but liked their Algebra class.

Its because our kids are becomming more and more non-white

>inb4 don't pretend like Im not right

common core was specifically designed to drag smarter kids down

We don't, we complete the transition of colleges becoming high school and high school becoming daycare. Only then will the majority of Americans become debt slaves.

It's sad that people will always reply "go back to /pol/" with your type of post. At this point, it's just blatantly obvious that race plays a factor in academic achievement. It's impossible to have a meaningful conversation about education reform without having race in the discussion.

It's also impossible to say that low income areas have a self-perpetuating culture of antintellectualism. Cleary it's all white man's fault for redlining them into that in the first place.

True. The thing is, we need to design a system working in parallel to theirs in order to bridge the gap, not redesign ours to burn our bridge down. If we want both sides to benefit we have to aknowledge the problem and put an end to the seemingly endless race to the bottom.

>we need to optimize our synergies to come up with a win-win solution to the situation

>not knowing the difference between natural and artificial selection
i think you're the stupid one lole

leave it like it. Might allow the rest of the world to catch up

Math is more or less useless in modern society. Education should be focusing on things that matter.

>in America

You mean in the world?

maa.org/external_archive/devlin/LockhartsLament.pdf

>please don't penis shame.
Gtfo dicklet, Veeky Forums is a hung guys only board.

>Math is more or less useless in modern society.
Written by a person whos whole life depends on mathematics.

This must be bait

>what is a calculator
helloo?? welcome to the 21st century?????

i agree. please stop teaching this shit to people. more job security for me is always good.

fucking this only jobs mathematics can get is teacher
in every single field math is being substituted with software that can solve complex math problems
math is fukin useless

>Literally no one has ever said this.

LOL no

teach theoretical maths instead of geometry and incorporate theoretical math alongside eith groundwork algebra. Geometry is the dullest math around and the groundwork alegra can get boring, especially when the principles are taught early in the school year and the rest of the year is essentially just practice and maybe one or two more small lessons with unique info taught. Id also extend the school day by one class period dedicated for math to trade off on having less, or none at all, homework, kind of like a study hall but dedicated solely to math.

1. Spend less time on geometry and trig
2. Introduce algebra and calculus earlier
3. Stop teaching at the level of the dumbest kids so everyone can pass. Teach to the smart kids

>Geometry ia the dulleat math around
How can someone be ao wrong.

It all started in the bush era with no child left behind agendas which altered all modes of teaching so teachers were losing some of their best tools to convey a lesson. Then came common core which is more directed around application and relationships between knowledge arcs. This is essentially useless when trying to learn math which in a lot of cases, is nothing more than pure memory and focus attentive work. I'm not sure what the public school system is doing now.

I feel like almost literally anyone can do math, barring the severely mentally challenged obviously. It's a matter of interest and developing experience mostly.

The government needs to put mood stabilizers in the water or something. I know being able to concentrate and just thinking about it more was and is my biggest barrier to math.

Our culture looks down on intellectual pursuits more than other cultures, and that's also a big problem. That comes with being so materialist. I don't know if there's an easy solution to that because corporations and the government have a vested interest in keeping people like that it seems.

It wouldn't be a meme if nobody said it.

As someone who has tutored many kids, I'll toss in some cents. One of the biggest things that happens is kids who suck at basic math such as algebra continually get pushed into higher level courses without satisfying the pre-reqs. Imagine being little Timmy who barely passed Algebra 1 with a C and all of a sudden ends up in Algebra 2 where he needs to reuse everything he has learned. Guess what, he never learned it in the first place so he will struggle all the way through pre-calc and calculus. Another problem is that teachers are too lax in grading. Kids get by in their math classes despite having absolutely no clue what they are doing because homework is graded (which they copy from google or from a friend), extra credit is given too much for menial tasks and trivial activities, and their tests have too many easy questions in comparison to harder ones, which makes getting a B easy and standard. Teachers are afraid to fail the kids when they should fail them. If Timmy can't solve a linear equation after a month of doing them, maybe he needs to fucking apply himself after seeing that F on his test. It's okay to fail sometimes for one to realize that they need to work harder towards a better score, so long as they improve and learn. Nowadays, kids pass and don't improve or learn at all. Also, it should be noted that many math teachers don't deserve their positions; they themselves sometimes cannot do the math or if they can, they cannot explain it in such a way that it connects with other topics and prove to the kids where the concepts come from and how they can be applied to a problem. If we give a bigger incentive for more qualified persons to roll through, i.e. increase pay and require a math background, then maybe we will have teachers with the sufficient skills to teach.

>Daily Mail and Huffington Post as first suggestions

gtfo brainlet

>he thinks the obvious isnt true

get a load of this brainlet

More people need to read this.

I hurt now, realizing the kind of education I was denied as a child.

I'm dumb but good at math?

We remove common core.

What's wrong with common core?

get better standards for teachers, pay them a little more to incentivize this

push different learning models for kids that learn differently then their teachers

This. The systems will be separate, but equal. It'll work great! Can't believe nobody has thought of this before.

It's clearly not good enough, we need to move up to Advanced Core

Too true, I'm Timy IRL. Bunch of things went wrong for me/my life in middle and high school, barely scraped by my classes (got a D in precalc...), had to take a remedial calc class going into college so I could start at calc 1. I thought I was studying well but kept getting Cs and not really understanding anything with depth

Rolled into calc 2 and failed my first exam. Was so fed up that I studied for 6+ hours every day for weeks (spent a lot of time reviewing old stuff too), got behind in other classes and had no life but it was worth it. Got an A on the next exam, all the material clicked, everything came together, A's in every math class since and now I'm desperately trying to double major so I can take more math.

Crazy to think about how much easier my life could have been if I actually got flunked earlier in education, or if I snapped out of it and worked my butt off when it was just the basics and I could have gotten a scholarship

Better now than never. It's unfortunate but I'm glad things worked out for you and that you are among the few kids who learn.

By calling it "Maths"